AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Tank Design

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Default Custom Tank Design

Hi Everyone, I'm in the process of designing my 1st custom tank and would like some opinions on my design.

Tank:

Rimless Starphire 110 Gallon(71"x18"x20")
    External Coast to Coast Box(71"x4"x6")
    Bean Animal Overflow with 1" PVC instead of 1.5"

I have not decided how I want the returns to be, I was thinking one on either side and the returns pushing the water down the back. I think I would have them tee'd from the same return pump I just don't know how big of a return pump I would need to accomplish this.

Sump:

29 Gallon
    Poret Foam(10ppi, 20ppi, 30ppi)
    Ceramic Bio-Rings(1000grams)
    2 x Hydro Sponge Filters
    2 x 300watt Titanium Heaters from jehmco
    ETCI-1R Heater Controller from jehmco
    Purigen Reactor(750ml)
    Aqua UV 15w UV Sterilizer

Lights:

2x Current USA Satellite Pro LEDS 36"

Stock:

12 Discus
    2 Altum Angels
    6-8 Sterbai Corys

Front.jpgSide.jpgTop.jpgOverflow.jpg

Anything I am not considering or design flaws?

Suggestions and comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Simon Anderson

Default Re: Custom Tank Design

Im interested to build the same type of weir overflow box with bean/animal pipework. Any updates and pictures on your system and its functionality?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

I have not built the tank yet. Had some financial issues come up and plans have been put on hold temporarily. Hopefully I can start building in the next 2-3 months.

Just an FYI, you know you will have a 1" water line around the tank right?

Your water level in the tank will match the lip of the weir.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Just an FYI, you know you will have a 1" water line around the tank right?

Your water level in the tank will match the lip of the weir.
    I know, do you think that is too big? I have been thinking about changing it to 1/2" but not really sure. What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
    I know, do you think that is too big? I have been thinking about changing it to 1/2" but not really sure. What would you suggest?
    You have a decision, 1" is the best for safety reasons. You don't want your sump reserve to be able to overflow your tank.
    But a 1" gap my be unsightly to you? I think it would bother me thinking my tank is low on water all the time. But if you can live with it, the 1" is safer!

FYI,
    your sump materials look good!

Real Name
    Ricardo

You have a decision, 1" is the best for safety reasons. You don't want your sump reserve to be able to overflow your tank.
    But a 1" gap my be unsightly to you? I think it would bother me thinking my tank is low on water all the time. But if you can live with it, the 1" is safer!
    With a coast to coast like this, overflow wouldn't be a problem imho. OP, if you do 1" and up-plum to 1.5" after the valves you'll be good. Coast to coast flows a lot of water and so long as you get a pump that can't overflow the bean setup which is typically 1500gph,or something around there, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 04-25-2017 at 03:29 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    With a coast to coast like this, overflow wouldn't be a problem imho. OP, if you do 1" and up-plum to 1.5" after the valves you'll be good. Coast to coast flows a lot of water and so long as you get a pump that can't overflow the bean setup which is typically 1500gph,or something around there, then you have nothing to worry about.
    I wouldn't be going near 1500gph so I wouldn't be worried about overflowing. I was aiming for 600-700gph range, do you think this is to much? The reason I ask is my stocking plans changed. I am going to get about 15 3" discus and grow them out and then sell 3 when they are 5". This amount of flow shouldn't be a problem at that size?

Will a 1/2" weir be enough? I went 1" for safety but would prefer the water line as high as possible. Thinking about it now does the height of the weir really matter with that size of overfllow?

Real Name
    Ricardo

I wouldn't be going near 1500gph so I wouldn't be worried about overflowing. I was aiming for 600-700gph range, do you think this is to much? The reason I ask is my stocking plans changed. I am going to get about 15 3" discus and grow them out and then sell 3 when they are 5". This amount of flow shouldn't be a problem at that size?

Will a 1/2" weir be enough? I went 1" for safety but would prefer the water line as high as possible. Thinking about it now does the height of the weir really matter with that size of overfllow?
    I believe I measured how "tall" the water goes over my weir which isn't a full coast to coast on my 75g and it was about 1/4" or maybe in less than that. With a weir like that one you are describing, it would be much larger surface area which means the water has even more place to spread out. I think you'd be fine with less than 1" but that is completely up to you. For reference, I am running an Eheim 1260 modded to 1262 on this tank. Absolutely no problems and my valve is still pretty throttled back. Unless you put a huge pump in your sump, which I wouldn't suggest anyways with discus, you should have no problems.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I believe I measured how "tall" the water goes over my weir which isn't a full coast to coast on my 75g and it was about 1/4" or maybe in less than that. With a weir like that one you are describing, it would be much larger surface area which means the water has even more place to spread out. I think you'd be fine with less than 1" but that is completely up to you. For reference, I am running an Eheim 1260 modded to 1262 on this tank. Absolutely no problems and my valve is still pretty throttled back. Unless you put a huge pump in your sump, which I wouldn't suggest anyways with discus, you should have no problems.
    Don't want to hijack the thread but this is all good info as I will be switching to a sump soon.

Ricardo I believe somewhere you had posted you were using large media bags that you could cut to size and tie off? I'm building a sump out of a 40B and can't find a bag close to fitting the almost 18" width of the tank. I suppose I could use a bunch or smaller bags but would be nice to have bags I could stack that would fit the entire width.

Dylan I am using many of the same materials in my sump. I also have 10,20,30 poret, ceramic media that is currently in my canister, will be using a purigen reactor and also an aqua uv sterilizer. I am going to go with the 25 or 40 watt though.
    Last edited by Ryan925; 04-25-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Yes it will basically be a cosmetic thing. A beautiful rimless tank with a water mark all the way around at 1" would drive me nuts! LOL..

Ryan,...again are we on the same page or what!!!....I'm building a 40breeder sump as well! LOL..
    BUT mine has a couple twists in it! LOL..

Yes it will basically be a cosmetic thing. A beautiful rimless tank with a water mark all the way around at 1" would drive me nuts! LOL..

Ryan,...again are we on the same page or what!!!....I'm building a 40breeder sump as well! LOL..
    BUT mine has a couple twists in it! LOL..
    Lol. Mine does too. Forgot to mention my wet/dry as well. Sump is done just need to find the time to time build my stand to house it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Don't want to hijack the thread but this is all good info as I will be switching to a sump soon.

Ricardo I believe somewhere you had posted you were using large media bags that you could cut to size and tie off? I'm building a sump out of a 40B and can't find a bag close to fitting the almost 18" width of the tank. I suppose I could use a bunch or smaller bags but would be nice to have bags I could stack that would fit the entire width.

Dylan I am using many of the same materials in my sump. I also have 10,20,30 poret, ceramic media that is currently in my canister, will be using a purigen reactor and also an aqua uv sterilizer. I am going to go with the 25 or 40 watt though.
    I was going to get a 40watt but I can't justify spending that much on a uv sterilizer.

I decided to go 1/2" on the weir lip.

I found some time to design the layout of my sump and was looking for some feedback/advice on it. with sponge.jpg

I was going to get a 40watt but I can't justify spending that much on a uv sterilizer.

I decided to go 1/2" on the weir lip.

I found some time to design the layout of my sump and was looking for some feedback/advice on it. with sponge.jpg
    Are the three pieces of poret acting as the first baffle or is there a baffle behind them? Tough to tell from pic. If the poret is the baffle I believe Swiss tropical does not recommend the 1" as a baffle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast