AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Storage

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Water Storage

There’s room next to my water heater in the garage is perfect place for water storage. I’m thinking about hook up two 55gallons tank via bulkheads. Does anyone have experience doing this and how to go about running water heater and air pump effectively through the barrels?

I was thinking of having them stand vertically on top of each other. the example picture below showing the two barrels laying down, but just to give an idea of what i'm talking about.

thanks,

Example:
    hqdefault.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Water Storage

I would turn them vertically, side by side connected with a pipe at the bottom. I would put a heater and air stone in each drum. As you pump from either barrel the levels will decrease equally. If you stack them and connect them the preasure will be very high at the bottom of the bottom drum since pressure is A of function depth. If might be enough to split the drum given enough time. What do you think?
    Ron

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

you're probably right. the risk of spiting the drums over time is definitely too great. i like the idea of having them side by side, though there's not enough space. i'd have to think about this a bit more. will keep everyone updated with what i come up.
    thanks!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

what about getting a larger barrel? i have a 150gal barrel in my basement and it works great. i can fill it all the way for a big wc or half way for a small wc.

Last edited by Kyla; 04-03-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

i was looking at the price for that size, it too much for my pocket at this time. At least compare to the 55g drums that run around $10-15 on craiglist in my area.

[/QUOTE]

Registered Member

Be kind I am trying to think outside the box and above my pay grade. Will they fit like you have then in the picture laying horizontal on top of each other?
    Ron

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

i was thinking of building a 2x4 rack and place two 55g drums vertically on top of each other (kind of like a rack of fish tanks). both drums will be joined by bulkheads. water flows down.
    i could put a water pump in the bottom drum and pump the water back up to the top drum for circulation, also throwing in a few heaters and air pump. one factor i can't think through is how to run electrical wires to power all the components, especially to the water pump in the bottom drum that supposedly air tight.

if the bottom drum is not air tight then it pretty much an overflow system, more or less. easy enough, but there's no fail safe in case of a power outage. the garage will be flooded.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

A second thought, the bottom drum won’t be air tight, it’s too much hassle. The top drum will have a bulkhead and a ball valve to drain its water down to fill the bottom drum and shutoff. Each drum will have its own airline and heater. There will be a few manual actions, but it shouldn’t be too difficult. Two water alarms, one in each drum to monitor the water level will also good.

Quote Originally Posted by tvo View Post
    i was thinking of building a 2x4 rack and place two 55g drums vertically on top of each other (kind of like a rack of fish tanks). both drums will be joined by bulkheads. water flows down.
    i could put a water pump in the bottom drum and pump the water back up to the top drum for circulation, also throwing in a few heaters and air pump. one factor i can't think through is how to run electrical wires to power all the components, especially to the water pump in the bottom drum that supposedly air tight.

if the bottom drum is not air tight then it pretty much an overflow system, more or less. easy enough, but there's no fail safe in case of a power outage. the garage will be flooded.