ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Tank Aquascaping Questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Default New Tank Aquascaping Questions

Hello All,

I am an experienced fishkeeper. I've been keeping african cichlids for years. I am familiar with the different demands of discus vs africans. My questions are more around the tank scaping. I am prepping a tank now to add discus in the next 4-6 weeks.

- is a 3d background ok? I was thinking of a crevice style from universal rocks. I have used that background before in other tanks. Or would a light blue painted background work better?

- Should I wait on adding things like driftwood until the discus have grown larger?

- I was thinking of adding a group of cardinal tetras when I add the discus. Should I also wait on the tetras until the discus are established?

Thanks!

Scott

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: New Tank Aqusaping Questions

- is a 3d background ok? I was thinking of a crevice style from universal rocks. I have used that background before in other tanks. Or would a light blue painted background work better? 3d works fine, just need to make sure it is sealed so no detritus gets stuck

- Should I wait on adding things like driftwood until the discus have grown larger?
    That is the ideal approach and one that I advocate.

- I was thinking of adding a group of cardinal tetras when I add the discus. Should I also wait on the tetras until the discus are established?
    I don't think the timing matters, just be sure to follow quarantine procedure.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Scott

Thank you for the input. So there shouldn't be an issue adding cardinals at the same time as discus are growing out in the BB tank as long as quarantining is followed?

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pilotman0308 View Post
    Thank you for the input. So there shouldn't be an issue adding cardinals at the same time as discus are growing out in the BB tank as long as quarantining is followed?
    Correct. One last caveat, bioload must always be considered. If you are already maxed out with discus (approx 1 discus per 10 gallons in a bare bottom tank) then adding additional bioload (cardinals) would not be recommended. Having substrate or any additional decor during growout also drastically increases bioload because of the types and quantity of food growing discus require.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: New Tank Aquascaping Questions

i would also recommend against any sand/substrate until after the discus are grown. it is so much easier to clean, and its easier to treat the new discus in BB if u have any health issues. once they are grown and u have experience caring for them u can add decor. i would also start with a bare background just for ease of cleaning as well. u can always add a 3d background later. if u dont want to commit totally to painting the tank u could cover the background with paper at first. i would quarantine the cardinals and then add them when the discus are young because if they grow up together u might have a better chance of the discus not viewing them as food (plus when the discus are grown the cardinals will be grown larger too)

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Scott.
    If you plan to grow juvvies in your tank "less is more " is the rule you should follow .
    If you do decide to add 3d background and driftwood for more bearable appearance of your tank be sure to clean them regularly from biofilm and sludge . I would also stay away from sand , until they are grown .

About the tetras , the only potential problem I see would be a possible risk of cross-contaminating your young discus. Other than that they should be OK to go with your discus .

Good luck Scott and keep us updated .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

I'm growing mine out in a tank with a 3D background I made, a waterfall, planted lightly and with a fine white substrate, the substrate, actually, makes cleaning up the waste in the tank a lot easier, makes it very visible,, I can siphon out the fish waste, uneaten food very easily,,, can also siphon out the top of the substrate, wash it out and replace it without the fish being agitated,,,got the fish 10 weeks ago at dime to quarter size and are now 2 to 4 inches,, fun to watch and seem very adjusted, feeding like piranhas, calm and collected.....a lot more fun than a bare glass tank,,,,keep the water quality up and do as you planned,,,,thats my experience,,, but than again I'm not an expert
    Last edited by gluedandscrewed; 04-07-2017 at 05:58 AM.