ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon

Default New to Discus

Ok guys. I'm going to start by saying that I've never done the forum thing before so if I'm doing something wrong or breaking some sort of unspoken rule of forums, please let me know and I will do better with training.
    I am currently cycling a 75 gallon tank. It's a fishless cycle on its 5th day. I have my ammonia at 4 ppm and am using a Fluval 406 Canister filter. Temp is set to 84 degrees. I have Eco-Complete substrate. I just received dwarf hair grass from my online order. My goal for this tank is that it will have a hair grass carpet and I just ordered an amazing branched piece of driftwood that is almost 36 inches long and 20 inches high. I want the tank to be simple in that it will have just the carpet and one piece of driftwood. Is it safe to plant the hair grass with the ammonia so high? The water currently in the tank is dechlorinated tap water, but I just got an RO Buddy and plan on doing water changes with RO water. I bought all the buffers for it and trace element supplements, but really have no idea how to go about conditioning the water for changes. I want to have 6-7 adult discus in the tank when I get the fish, but know that I am a long way off from that. Any and all help that you guys can give me will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Default Re: New to Discus

Welcome to Simply and the wonderfull world of discus. Id suggest reading the stickies in the biginners section as it really does cover everything you need to know.I cant comment on HG though. Where are you getting your discus and what size you going for?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

watch the video in the beginner section too, it is very informative.

just some thoughts:
    1) get all ur discus from the same supplier at the same time to avoid cross contamination issues
    2) there are excellent sources for discus on this site which have been vetted and have good customer service
    3) starting off newly with discus and substrate is difficult, esp if u r planting a carpet, if there is any way u would consider doing a bare bottom tank at least for the first little while i really really recommend it (i wish i had done it) - even more essential when starting with younger discus. u can always add the substrate and decor later. i know u already have the plants and are eager to add them and dont want to hear this but i gotta say it anyway, just from my own bad experience
    4) a quarantine period in BB would be a good idea, if u arent keen on a BB tank in general
    5) RO water and additives may not be needed, depending on ur water parameters - can u provide ur tap water parameters straight from tap and then fill a bucket and aerate it for a day and retest and provide those parameters as well (aging water may be needed)

excited to see pics! maybe start a tank journal thread and track ur progress! welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Kyla; 04-06-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    watch the video in the beginner section too, it is very informative.

just some thoughts:
    1) get all ur discus from the same supplier at the same time to avoid cross contamination issues
    2) there are excellent sources for discus on this site which have been vetted and have good customer service
    3) starting off newly with discus and substrate is difficult, esp if u r planting a carpet, if there is any way u would consider doing a bare bottom tank at least for the first little while i really really recommend it (i wish i had done it) - even more essential when starting with younger discus. u can always add the substrate and decor later. i know u already have the plants and are eager to add them and dont want to hear this but i gotta say it anyway, just from my own bad experience
    4) a quarantine period in BB would be a good idea, if u arent keen on a BB tank in general
    5) RO water and additives may not be needed, depending on ur water parameters - can u provide ur tap water parameters straight from tap and then fill a bucket and aerate it for a day and retest and provide those parameters as well (aging water may be needed)

excited to see pics! maybe start a tank journal thread and track ur progress! welcome to the forum
    +1. I made the same mistakes. My eco and plants are now gone. Eco is impossible to keep clean and will be even more difficult with carpet.

Also are you planning to run high lights and co2 to achieve this carpet? Keep in mind discus are not fond of high light. Co2 is usually not recommended because of ph swings.

Getting adult fish would definitely make things more manageable as they have already passed the most important growth stage.

If you do decide to stick with your idea you will have to be diligent with water changes and tank maintenance. If you are using black eco stay away from the pigeon blood strains as it will cause peppering.

Good luck and best advice is read, read, read before getting your fish.

All very good advice above - so think about it.

Never a good idea to start out discus-keeping for the first time while using any soil-type, carpet planted substrate, that will undoubtedly be difficult to keep squeaky clean, and can therefore readily harbor undesirable bacteria.

You'll be pleased with the results if you begin with healthy discus obtained from a well-known source for supplying good to high quality discus, and keep them in a bare-bottom tank with large, frequent wcs, at least until you learn discus' traits & behaviors, and gain some experience & get comfortable keeping them.

Please do some more homework to avoid frustration & disappointment, and you'll be thankful because you'll do just fine.

Real Name
    Filip

Hi Jon and welcome. I agree with others advices here . Planted gravel tanks and carpets in particular does not go along well with the discus strict needs for pristine environment.
    Having fullgrowns, feeding very small amount of dry foods and cleaning meticulously can help in your constant battle with bacterial counts , but still its a long and exhausting battle to win .

About the water , it is better for you to go with only straight tap and dechlor for your hairgrass and there is a high propabillity that you won't need RO for your discus too but just aged tapwater.
    Last edited by Filip; 04-07-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon

Thank you all for the advice! Since posting this thread I have watched the 1 hour 20 minute video in the beginner forum. Lots of great information there as well as in all the replies here. I am loathe to do a bare bottom tank. I love my planted tanks! But after watching the video and reading everyones suggestions I feel as though I would just be asking for trouble if I did not remove my substrate and go with a bare tank. Can I at least put my driftwood and some potted plants?
    As far as the tap water. It comes out of my tap at a PH of 8.8 and after being aerated overnight it has a PH of 8.4. It's also extremely hard, and I've experienced trouble with other fish in my planted community tank due to the hardness. That's why I intend on using the RO water, seems like a good solution to the high PH and extreme hardness?
    Can anyone give me some advice on the fishless cycle? Never done it before, but want to be as sterile as possible for the Discus. I really appreciate all your help!

You mentioned getting adult or near adult discus, and assuming you do that, there should be no problem keeping your tank sufficiently clean with just driftwood and some potted plants for décor while learning the 'discus ropes'.

Good idea to use a combo of partial conditioned tap water and partial RO water in your situation. Having said that, if your pH remains steady around 8.4 after ageing, that can work ok for discus. Many discus-keepers successfully keep discus with pH over 8.0 to 8.5.

As for fishless cycling, it may help you to review the fishless cycling method in my Beginner's Guide to Discus - see the last Sticky of the Discus Basics section of the forum. Link below:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus