AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Conditioning RO Water

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon

Default Conditioning RO Water

My Tap water is hard... Like stupid hard. That being said, I'm cycling my Discus tank now and hope to have fish in two-three weeks. I bought a 100 g/d RO Buddie, and am setting up my old 55 Gallon tank with a heater and powerhead to get it up to temp for water changes. That being said I heard it's not good to use 100% RO water, and that it needs reconditioned with minerals. I have some Discus Trace, Discus Buffer, and Neutral Regulator all from Seachem, but really have no idea what to do with it. Anybody have some advice?

Real Name
    Eric

Default Re: Conditioning RO Water

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...er-Mineral-Mix

I use the mix in post #13 to mineralize my extremely soft tap water. You can likely just mix a little tap water in with your RO to re-mineralize. If your tap water is that hard, your RO may still have a significant amount of minerals. Have you tested your RO water?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jon

My RO water is testing at 5 TDS

Real Name
    Willie

I've used 100% R/O straight for 5 years without any problems. With 5 TDS, it still has plenty of minerals in it. I wouldn't not bother with additional additives that you're just going to dump out during a water change. Buffers/Regulators are going to do nothing for your fish.
    At my age, everything is irritating.