AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 60 PSI wash down pump!

Registered Member

Cool 60 PSI wash down pump!

Finally found a cleaning method that ticks the boxes! Was sitting watching my tank gravity drain after cleaning and thinking...I'm over this cleaning and then draining, there must be a better way! So put the rusty old thinking cap on and surprised myself. I had a spare wash down pump with an inline filter to catch nasties going thru the pump which was meant to be used in the boat but has never been installed or used. Hmmmm....gotta be able to use this, I think! Next water change, using the wash down pump and connecting my old gravity feed cleaning tube and hose to the intake and hey presto, cleaning with great suction whilst draining tank and muck! Verrry happy but two things I'm careful of; not to get tube anywhere near the discus and not drawing my hubbie's attention to my new system......he may start to work out where my new system came from; thank goodness he doesn't go into the storeroom often!

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: 60 PSI wash down pump!

Good luck. Anything to make changes easier. At the risk of cutting down your suction off the bottom, you might consider adding a strainer to the end of your hose, like the ones from the end of a filter intake tube, just as a precaution.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Thanks Steve, something I mean to do once shops reopen from Easter, cheers

Like Steve said, I'd add a big strainer to the end. I've lost discus when doing water changes by walking away from the tanks while they were gravity draining, only to return to find a small discus sucked against the drain strainer. Suction from a big pump would make the water change faster, but any fish within 6" of the intake might get sucked against it.

-Leland

Registered Member

Thanks Leland, not an issue now. My glee at working out a new system has now changed to....bugger.....sand must've got through the filter of the wash down pump and the pump is no longer working. Back to ye old manual gravity hose gravel cleaner. Oh well, was good while it lasted....two water changes, lol.