ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Feeding

Registered Member

Default Hand Feeding

https://youtu.be/cJdgcPncNzM

First post on here. Thought I'd share. I hand feed my discus.

Almost time to put them into their 80 gallon.
    Last edited by ippielb; 04-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Hand Feeding

Looks like some beautiful healthy happy discus.Frozen bloodworms right?Thanks for sharing

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yamyort View Post
    Looks like some beautiful healthy happy discus.Frozen bloodworms right?Thanks for sharing
    Yes, I rotate my feedings between frozen blood worm cubes, and frozen brine shrimp cubes. Was curious about a specific discus formula I seen at the pet store last time I went. I'm hoping to have my fish start pairing off sooner rather then later. I have a 29 gallon tall tank, a 55 gallon, and a 65 gallon tank empty. Was hoping to take a crack at breeding them.

Real Name
    Mervin

It would be better if they breed later rather than sooner.More energy will be geared towards growth and not producing eggs.In time you may be able to pick your discus up with your hands instead of netting them.Mine are used to my hands.It started with feeding them by hand.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Landon

LOL your discus are no where near ready to start pairing off, they are only a few months old judging by the size.

Real Name
    Mervin

Taking a second look at the video,I noticed the turq on the right at the beginning of the video,that it appears thin to me.Other wise they act like they're happy.Where did you get them?Where the turks ever dewormed?

Real Name
    Emil

I do agree with Mervin that turqs looks stunned to me. Their eye to body ratio and body shape. Eyes are too big compare to body size, also body has eclipse shape. I would advice to feed them high quality food like FDBW from Al, quality BH mix like from Discus Hans or pellets and flakes and of course daily WC is a must for max growth. I do not feed Blood worms but some do only like treat sometimes. That's my opinion.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Taking a second look at the video,I noticed the turq on the right at the beginning of the video,that it appears thin to me.Other wise they act like they're happy.Where did you get them?Where the turks ever dewormed?
    They eat like pigs, non stop, every time I come by the tank I can feed them again and they'll eat. I got the two dark Turks at a local pet store, first thing I asked was if I need to be quarantining them, and treating. And the owner of the store said not to bother that they were high quality from a good breeder and supplier, so I took his advice.

I can feed them 8 cubes of bloodworms and brine shrimp in a day, and see a visible bulge in their stomachs. Then then the next day they don't have any bulge. At all, and I feed them normally. I only got these guys maybe a month of two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    I do agree with Mervin that turqs looks stunned to me. Their eye to body ratio and body shape. Eyes are too big compare to body size, also body has eclipse shape. I would advice to feed them high quality food like FDBW from Al, quality BH mix like from Discus Hans or pellets and flakes and of course daily WC is a must for max growth. I do not feed Blood worms but some do only like treat sometimes. That's my opinion.
    That's displeasing. Definitely did not want to hear that. I do 30-40% water changes every other day. Distilled water, and replenish to get back minerals. I run a UV sterilizer as well. I'm not necessarily after max growth. I'm after healthy happy fish. Please excuse my ignorance, I'm unaware of what those fdbw, and bh refer to. I have discus formula sinking pellets. But they are too spoiled rotten to even humour the idea.

And Landon, I'm not even going to humour you with a reply to your post.

I have found it difficult to keep discus, I was in a car accident in October and physically can't do water changes, so I need help from others to lift the jugs. My well water is too hard, and has ammonia in it so I can't use it either. My 80 gallon I set up for them will be easier it's in my basement and has a drain down there. I can just run the hose to it. But filling is where it's difficult. My water distiller is only tall enough to fit the jugs under it. So someone still has to lift it.
    Last edited by ippielb; 04-10-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Real Name
    Mervin

After a third look at the video,the turqu on the right still appears thin.Notice the area at the side of the head/body.It appears concave or inward.The stomachs can be full and bulged and eat like pigs,but he still looks a little nutrient deficient.I was thinking that maybe worms(parasites) could be the culprit.Dried bloodworms would be better than the wet ones which are mostly water.

Registered Member

After a third look at the video,the turqu on the right still appears thin.Notice the area at the side of the head/body.It appears concave or inward.The stomachs can be full and bulged and eat like pigs,but he still looks a little nutrient deficient.I was thinking that maybe worms(parasites) could be the culprit.Dried bloodworms would be better than the wet ones which are mostly water.
    I was concerned with feeding freeze dried blood worms because of bloat. If that's not the case I have a full container of them righ here. As well as dried shrimp.

Real Name
    Emil

I am sorry if I said anything wrong. I was just trying to give you some good advice. Those are your fish and of course you can do whatever you want to with them. Good luck.

Real Name
    Mervin

Freeze dried is better;packed with more protein.Just don't over feed and you'll have no worry about bloat.Less is more in this case.

Registered Member

Freeze dried is better;packed with more protein.Just don't over feed and you'll have no worry about bloat.Less is more in this case.
    Should I try soaking them in water first so they can eat the, easier?

Quote Originally Posted by emil View Post
    I am sorry if I said anything wrong. I was just trying to give you some good advice. Those are your fish and of course you can do whatever you want to with them. Good luck.
    No you never said anything wrong at all, it's just not what I was wanting to hear it's just Depressing.

Real Name
    Emil

Glad to hear that I know how you feel but you still should be able to fix it if you change their diet. FDBW are freeze dried black worms 60% protein and the owner of this forum Al selling them on www.aquaticsuppliers.com I will provide link. (http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-D...ckworms_c2.htm) adn BH mix is beef heart or lean beef meat mix, you can do it yourself or I personaly do buy it from Discus Hans, he is great and experienced Discusperson here in US (http://discusfishstore.com/ ) Believe me I am not a sales person That's only what I use and works great for me. Also I would recommend to deworm your fish in case you did not do it yet, you just have to do it once to be sure fish have no worms or internal parasites. If you have time please watch very informative video by owner of this site Al, he is providing great info about discus keeping in this presentation. here is link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe3VKh7qF8&t=2083s Hope for the best and I wish you success with discus keeping, you can do it

Registered Member

I'll see what I can find locally for freeze dried I'm in western Canada.

I would like to deworm my fish. What product can you recommend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast