AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Rock scaping question

Default Rock scaping question

My Reef Saver rock has arrived! I must say BRS did a great job packing it. Only about 2 tbs of dust in the entire box. The only issue is I asked for softball size pieces and got much larger ones- like melon sizes. I am hoping they will break fairly easy with a screwdriver and a hammer.
    Hoping to find some small tonga shelf to add some interest. BRS has a 15 lb minimum- I only need 2 or thee small ones.

My question is what do you guys use to stick them together? I have been watching and reading and it looks like there are many options. I like the idea of the IC gel but at $7 for .7 ounces I would be needing a fortunes worth. Is there any other super thick super glue that is reef safe that comes in a bigger tube? I have a pretty tall tank and will need quite a bit. I am not opposed to mixing the dry cement powder if you guys think it works well. There was a mention of it earlier but I am not sure which brand is best or where I should get it from. I am not a fan of the putty since it seems to stick out like a sore thumb.

I am trying to get everything I need in the house since I have the week off from school next and will have the entire week to scape and build my sump. That is going to be a fun week! Who needs a tropical spring break getaway when you can build your own in house reef?

Things are finally moving along. Hope you thrify guys can help me scape this thing out!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: Rock scaping question

Jenene,
    I used the 2 part stick epoxy and assemble the rocks dry and let it cure. I used instant ocean holdfast and the color blends well with the reef saver rock but if you look on BRS they sell different kinds. I picked up mine at petco in the SW section. I thought about getting BRS's extra thick clear super glue but I didn't. The way I bonded mine is I put some epoxy on the contact surfaces on the bottoms and then filled the seam then I stuck the little pieces of rock on to the seam to make it blend better. I did some crazy rock work and it all has held together very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Jenene,
    I used the 2 part stick epoxy and assemble the rocks dry and let it cure. I used instant ocean holdfast and the color blends well with the reef saver rock but if you look on BRS they sell different kinds. I picked up mine at petco in the SW section. I thought about getting BRS's extra thick clear super glue but I didn't. The way I bonded mine is I put some epoxy on the contact surfaces on the bottoms and then filled the seam then I stuck the little pieces of rock on to the seam to make it blend better. I did some crazy rock work and it all has held together very well.
    Thanks For the quick reply Devon! I need to get to Petco for the 10 gallon anyway so I will pick up the epoxy there. It is good to know it blends in. I also saved the small amount of tiny broken bits and pieces for blending in like you suggested.

I am afraid I am going to have to do some creative rock work as well since the tank is so tall and narrow. I knew right away the rocks they sent me were going to be way too big to build tall without taking over the entire tank. My son and I went after one big piece with a hammer and 2 chisels before we finally got it to break. That stuff is so hard! It did break nicely though. That was just a test. I am going to build a cardboard "tank" bottom and back and use the "rule of thirds" take my time and try to create something of visual interest keeping practicality in mind for allowing good circulation and lots of places for corals of different light requirements.

Thanks for the tips. They are definitely appreciated.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I used news paper balls to do a test scape. make the newspaper roughly the same size as your rock pieces and build it out with some tape. The news paper give the outline some texture which helps visualize the final hardscape. See the image below for an idea.
    SCAPE1.jpg

Now THAT is a great idea. Awesome. Newspaper I do have. You are right. That is so crazy rock work. Are you an engineer?

Just got back from Petco and got the tank for the sump and found the epoxy.

I set the baffles in the sump just to see what kind of space I am working with. I ended up ordering the Skimz Monster Mini since the footprint on the Bubble Magnus looked a tad big for my sump. No one had it on sale but I have spent so much at BRS the last two weeks I had some point money saved up. Got a few bucks off anyway. Boy this hobby can be expensive.

Thanks again for the tip. I am going at it this weekend. I will post what I end up with.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Subscribed! I can't wait to see how it goes!

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I swear this hobby is one of equipment not fish lol I never knew you needed so much equipment! My rock work took quite a bit of work so it didn't crumble down. That skimmer looks light it has all the right stuff nice buy. If it were to recommend a ATO the tunze osmolator nano would be a good fit for you or the Auto Aqua Smart Ato Micro. What's your plans for return pumps? The syncra silent pumps are Italian made and the quietest on the market and use the least amount of power. There is so much to talk about lol I could go on for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    I swear this hobby is one of equipment not fish lol I never knew you needed so much equipment! My rock work took quite a bit of work so it didn't crumble down. That skimmer looks light it has all the right stuff nice buy. If it were to recommend a ATO the tunze osmolator nano would be a good fit for you or the Auto Aqua Smart Ato Micro. What's your plans for return pumps? The syncra silent pumps are Italian made and the quietest on the market and use the least amount of power. There is so much to talk about lol I could go on for hours.
    Oh...please do go on for hours...I would love to listen for hours! I am seriously hooked. We will have lots of time at Al's!

Thanks for the thumbs up on the skimmer. I can't even tell you how many hours I perseverated over that one thing. I finally went with that one after hours of watching and reading reviews and articles of what works and what is not so great. This one had only a few complaints and I have a feeling they were user error getting dialed in but the end game was when the BRS guy said they liked the Skimz so much they took over the warranty work for the company. So if you have issues you contact BRS and not Skimz. They have amazing customer service so win win.

Funny I had the Auto Aquasmart ATO already specked out and on my list of to do's. Thanks for that!

The return pump I got was the Jebao DTC 4000. I dropped it in with just the resting unsecured baffles and it will fit. I like the controller on it. I give Ryan925 credit for that find (thanks buddy ).

The light should show up tomorrow. I got the Aqua Illumination Twenty Six HD. Looking forward to turning that baby on. That credit goes to Lido.

So you see this project is certainly a group effort my friends! I could not do this without all of you guys!

Will start taking pics of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Subscribed! I can't wait to see how it goes!
    Thanks DatDiscusDude I hope I make it worth your while!

Stay tuned, it is going to be a journey for sure.