ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bloated Juvi Discus

Real Name
    Eric

Default Bloated Juvi Discus

I am reaching out for your advice on treating bloating/constipation. My little 3" white platinum got too much FDBW and is now bloated. I noticed this 24 hours ago, and treated the whole QT tank with 1 tablespoon / 10 gallons of epsom salt. I also only fed once yesterday, brine shrimp, which I heard have a laxative effect. The fish is still swimming normally and wants to eat, but his belly has been protruded for about 36 hours now without change, which is not normal. His belly is about the size I would expect after a large FDBW meal, but definitetly blocked up considering his lack of food yesterday.

I am thinking about pulling him from the tank and doing a higher concentration epsom salt bath, any recommendations? Should I try feeding him despite his blockage or will that make things worse?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Bloated Juvi Discus

Eric I would not increase the dosage instead I would first change water then add one tablespoon Epsom salt for every ten gallons of water the aquarium holds.Add an identical dose of Epsom salt in four hours and one more in four more hours if the fish has not started to pass feces.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Naz, I appreciate the advice and will bookmark it for future reference. I am happy to report that the fish passed a large bowel movement about an hour after I posted this and now looks normal.

Thanks, too! I have the same problem. I am doing the doses now.
    Be kind.