AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ EVERYONE! Express yourself do your own thing

Registered Member

Default PLEASE READ EVERYONE! Express yourself do your own thing

I just want to let everyone know not eveything you are told is the EXACT way you have to do it you never have to follow what you are told or the recommendation they be super helpful. But on the same side when someone tells you that you have to return a fish because it is to big or to much for your tank or that be wary of buying a fish do what you want this hobby is about the stuff you want to do. I have used this site for multiple question where on which case I was told to bring the fish back I'm
    Not ready my tank is to small my permiters are bad. (Which was usually never true) I don't have good filtration (also not true). But if you can find success with something stick with it I have created a beautiful tank that I am extremely happy with and I more or less did it on my own while I ignored the take the fish back he will be unhealthy will be sick etc and the results are beautiful and I love my tank with absolutely not stress or attacking (except for the rams that fight for the female) and from this I have created a Saltwater tank and have been dealing with the same thing of people to take atuff back and I'm not ready but it's fine and I went from a cichlids tank to a discus tank which a cichlids I know but a lot harder and there doing great. So just remember if someone says you have to take something back just remember that you don't have to you can create a beautiful healthy system still
    http://m.imgur.com/GyhVG25
    http://m.imgur.com/LHgRNTI
    http://m.imgur.com/WSSaBdn
    http://m.imgur.com/1ep93ua
    Last edited by Jpoirier70; 04-12-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Add picture links

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: PLEASE READ EVERYONE! Express yourself do your own thing

Hi J,
    Your point is well taken. Sounds like you had a bad experience with someone. Glad your tank is doing well. We'd love to see pics if you want to show it off.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Don't know how to post picture 😂 I posted links tho

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi J,
    Your point is well taken. Sounds like you had a bad experience with someone. Glad your tank is doing well. We'd love to see pics if you want to show it off.
    Copy and paste the images those are some of my fish. They like to hide when I take a full scale tank picture so I'm working on getting a good one of those

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Hi Jpoirier,,, Im glad your tank is working out for you and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.. I hope you stick around and continue to ask questions,read and learn. Im sure no one here is trying to act like their way is the only perfect way of doing things and what is best for your fish and is NOT telling you what should be done because they know better I think people here are just telling you what works for them and the lessons they have learned from their own Discus experiences, The same goes in keeping discus as in anything else you collect all the information and advice you put it all together and decide what will work best for your own tank. i know i have learned so many thing here and am thankful to the people here for their knowledge and not everyone has the same opinions but TOGETHER i think we can all help one another and hopefully come up with a solution to any problem and also enjoy in each others accomplishment and joys of this hobby... maybe someday you and I can give our experiences to someone in need of help here on SD even if we dont agree on the setup of our tanks or the way they are maintained we together can give others choices... So stick around our new friend and let us know what works for you...
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee1stLife2nd View Post
    Hi Jpoirier,,, Im glad your tank is working out for you and you are happy with it, that is all that matters.. I hope you stick around and continue to ask questions,read and learn. Im sure no one here is trying to act like their way is the only perfect way of doing things and what is best for your fish and is NOT telling you what should be done because they know better I think people here are just telling you what works for them and the lessons they have learned from their own Discus experiences, The same goes in keeping discus as in anything else you collect all the information and advice you put it all together and decide what will work best for your own tank. i know i have learned so many thing here and am thankful to the people here for their knowledge and not everyone has the same opinions but TOGETHER i think we can all help one another and hopefully come up with a solution to any problem and also enjoy in each others accomplishment and joys of this hobby... maybe someday you and I can give our experiences to someone in need of help here on SD even if we dont agree on the setup of our tanks or the way they are maintained we together can give others choices... So stick around our new friend and let us know what works for you...
    That's what I'm getting at this website is insaly helpful I may have not got at that and it defiantly is a HUGE help for beginners and advanced keepers. I just beleive that even from the advice you can make your own choices at the same time. I'm saying Is just don't let anyone discourage from making your own decisions because that's what the hobby is all about

As the others have expressed I am really glad your fish are healthy and you are enjoying them. That is the ultimate goal in this hobby.

I have learned there are a lot of well meaning threads of advice and you just need to find what works for you. Sometimes what you think will work does, sometimes it may not. There are some really great people here that can help you through the bumps. Only the test of time and experience will let you know if you have found the right combination of what your fish need to thrive.

I have found this site to be an invaluable resource and have made many friends here and had hours of enjoyment learning and sharing with the people who are as passionate as I am. I hope you can settle in here and continue to share your tank and experiences with us as well.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

DITTO J70,, I too have defied or broken every espoused conventional rule of discus keeping and ended up with a tank full of healthy fish,

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

One thing to remember is we have new members who have never kept discus or come to the forum seeking help due to getting into trouble with their discus. We are here to help them with their discus education or hopefully get them and their fish back in a successful path. Rules can be broken once you understand the rules.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Eric

I will never understand when people come to a forum and ask for help and advice but forget to bring their humility. No one is here helping others based on some ego trip but rather on a love for these goofy round fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

Ditto hammer!!! but its some of the arrogant, self proclaimed experts , with vested interests that could use a dose of humility,

Why would you go on ANY internet site and and not think through what is being said? Just cuz its on the interwebs doesn't mean its true.

But I will say this...most of the advice and discussions on here are pretty solid!

I would say one important thing to remember this is a forum and not everything is gospel.

With that said there are some extremely helpful members here as well as many that just look to criticize or express their my way or the highway views. I can see why those types of posts can be very off putting to newer members. I myself took a few month break from the forum after getting frustrated and annoyed with so many of those posts.

I do have to say that I was quite impressed that Al took the time to reach out to me after noticing my departure and return.

The way I see it is learn to recognize the helpful members and put value in their advice. The ones looking to knock you down just ignore and let them impress themselves with their vast knowledge
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    As the others have expressed I am really glad your fish are healthy and you are enjoying them. That is the ultimate goal in this hobby.

I have learned there are a lot of well meaning threads of advice and you just need to find what works for you. Sometimes what you think will work does, sometimes it may not. There are some really great people here that can help you through the bumps. Only the test of time and experience will let you know if you have found the right combination of what your fish need to thrive.

I have found this site to be an invaluable resource and have made many friends here and had hours of enjoyment learning and sharing with the people who are as passionate as I am. I hope you can settle in here and continue to share your tank and experiences with us as well.
    +1

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Rules can be broken once you understand the rules.
    Pat
    Very true Pat . Couldnt agree more with you on this one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast