ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: how come my discus dont "school"

Registered Member

Default how come my discus dont "school"

First I'm fairly new to discus.. this is my first tank and my first group of them, 3 months in currently.
    I have 6 4-5inch discus in a 65g tall tank.

They weren't all purchased at the same time but they get along pretty well. The pecking order seems to have been established. They seem happier since I went from 4 fish to 6 fish but they tend to hangout in pairs or in separate groups of 3 and I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on this. I can't seem to find anything helpful. From all Ive read about discus and all the pictures ive seen, prior to setting up my tank and even still currently, they school. I love them all and I still think the tank is beautiful but it would be even more enjoyable to see them school like they do naturally.

I'm wondering if maybe its because they are all different strains? They're all about the same size, I can't imagine that they vary much in age, maybe a month, 2 at most. Could that be the issue? Maybe its because I have a tall tank and not a long tank? Though I purchased the tall tank because I read that's why they prefer.. Maybe this is something that will happen as they get older and mature?..

Any thoughts/comments would be great.
    Thanks.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: how come my discus dont "school"

Do you have anything else in the tank with them? I ask becuase I have noticed in my years in the hobby. Discus alone tend to do more of their own thing. Discus with other fish will heard more persay.

How often do you get to view them? Could it be that they see you and associate it with food or something so they disperse a bit...?

I must admit, that having both wild and domestic discus. I find that true wilds will tend to "school" more so than domestics. I also feel the word school is used rather loosely with discus. When I see a big group of cardinals or rummies. To me that is a school. Discus are big fish and like the comfort of one another but it doesn't mean there is a leader and the rest follow. Maybe you are expecting more than they really tend to give? You may have seen some cool pictures of them "schooling" but that could have just been one captured moment in time and not their true daily actions...

There are also many factors to consider such as the ones you mentioned. Age, size, compatibility, tank size, etc...

Real Name
    Eric

From my observation, my discus school more, and in tighter formation, when stressed / scared. They also do it more when they are younger. They school for protection from a perceived threat, and as they get bigger and more comfortable in your tank, they will school less, in my experience.

Real Name
    Steve

I'll second the comments above, and just add the space factor. Given their size, I don't think the 55 to 75 gallon tanks we keep them in give them much room to really school. I wish I had room for a big long tank. I bet the adults would swim back and forth together like the juvies do.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

I have a group of yellowtail congo tetras and a few cories. The tetras are a tight school.

I view them fairly often, I'm getting in the habit of tapping on the top glass 3-4 times before I feed (it doesn't scare them). But this will let them know the difference between feeding and observing. They're getting it.

Youre right about the pictures.. makes sense, everyone wants to post their best pictures, might not be their truly daily actions. And also makes sense about tank size, not enough room to school.

I enjoy the tank either way, as long as they are healthy, It really makes no difference to me. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

and I like to hear what people think!

Thanks everyone!

Real Name
    Jacklyn

they don't school because nothing is preying on them.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    they don't school because nothing is preying on them.
    Yes, probably the bottom line!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Mervin

Being that close in the Amazon River;it would be considered schooling and yes no predators.Pairs will hangout more in a confined space.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

NEXT Time you prepare fried fish for dinner, eat it right in front of the tank and show those losers who is boss. then maybe they will school........they better.
    ~JACKLYN~

Throw a piranha in there... they'll school
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Aren't discus actually shoaling fishes

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    From my observation, my discus school more, and in tighter formation, when stressed / scared. They also do it more when they are younger. They school for protection from a perceived threat, and as they get bigger and more comfortable in your tank, they will school less, in my experience.
    +1 on this theory. Not an expert but from my experience my 8 only hang tight when I freak them out. If I drop the lid or scare them during a feeding or water change they will stick in a tight group. Most of the time they are relaxed and just doing their fish thing individually all over the tank.

I would say just enjoy them and know if they are brave enough to be hanging alone they are comfortable in the tank. Nicely done.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by fishermn7 View Post
    Aren't discus actually shoaling fishes
    Give the man a prize. Discus are not schooling fish. They may bunch together if threatened, but they are not by nature schooling fish.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images