AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: seachem discus buffer

Registered Member

Default seachem discus buffer

I am contemplating using seachem discus buffer as my pH is quite high- 7.5 and my KH is running at about 80ppm and GH at 60ppm nitrates and nitrites at 0 and phosphorus levels at or around 0. I have a heavily planted aquarium.

Now here is my problem, I have read, i don't know how many articles on keeping discus, water parameters etc etc etc........ and i find that one person says one thing and another can say almost the opposite. Some say a ph of around 6 others say they have no problem in 7.8 which is it? I mean the pH scale is exponential, therefore a pH of 7.8 has almost a 100 times the amount of hydrogen ions as a pH6.

Perhaps i am being pedantic on this issue, particularly as my fish seem to be doing ok in my water, however, these beautiful fish, (that i have become really quite attached to- they even have names!!!) deserve the absolute best that i can give them. I know that in the wild they do not live in particularly heavily planted areas etc, but i also know that they can be quite shy and like a hide away.

In short, i am hoping that the collective intellect and experience on here can give me a definitive answer to the question, what are the ideal water parameters for discus?

Many thanks in advance to any and all who answer.

Default Re: seachem discus buffer

Ideal is stable

Most will tell you as long as your ph is stable it is acceptable with domestic fish. I keep mine at 7.6 and many successfully keep them at ph above 8

Real Name
    Willie

Your fish are doing fine in tap water. I wouldn't change a thing. If you want the best for them, you can always up the water changes. On the flip side, messing with water chemistry ranks among the worst.

Willie
    Last edited by Willie; 04-15-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Agreed to both the guys above me. Mine are at a stable 8.0. It has been almost 9 months and they are large and so healthy. Before I began I asked our importer about it and he said the same thing- stable. His is actually high as well and if I remember correctly the water the domestics are raised in is also on the high side.

Breeding is another beast that I know nothing about but that is when they bring in the ro/di to control water parameters.

You will hear this from everyone here- water quality is the golden key. Clean, stable water.

Have you posted pics? We love pics.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

the only water related test kit in my house is a ph kit, seems the fish will tolerate a wide range in ph as long as the change is not too rapid,,