AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: my own FishGlobe... What is it ???

Registered Member Coffee1stLife2nd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina

Default my own FishGlobe... What is it ???

not sure what this is, Ive never seen it happen before. everything in the sump seems fine and clear until i get to the reactor I have Purigen in it. the tubes on both the intake and output and the tube from the return pump to the spraybar are full of this gunk not sure what to call it but it looks like and feels like slimy white skin, im not missing any fish and from the overflow box all the way back is clear. Any ideas what this could be, my tank looks like a snow globe and the fish are eating it. any ideas are welcomed,,,IMG_3830.JPG IMG_3823 (1).jpg IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3832.JPG IMG_3831.JPG IMG_3835.JPG IMG_3837.JPG
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: my own FishGlobe... What is it ???

ive seen film build up in tubes before but that seems excessive... are they new tubes? how long have they been running on the tank? was the film there for a long time and just recently became dislodged from tank maintenance?

Real Name
    Tina

new tubes less then 2 months. u can see they are clear except for where the white clumpy stuff is.. you can also see how clear the water is by the return pump its just collecting in the tubes.. and its thick and chucks break off and then get sucked up by return pump and up through hose to spraybar where it gets broken up and then sprayed out into tank.
    Last edited by Coffee1stLife2nd; 04-14-2017 at 07:49 PM.
    ** I use to dream of Unicorns ** NOW I dream of Discus with the colors of the Rainbow **

Real Name
    Tina

im thinking it has something to do with a mixture of my WELL water and the purigen,,,

We all get a little bio film out of returns now and again but that is some major buildup.

If you think it's due to the purigen I would consider taking it out of service and clean out your tubes and see if it returns. Also email seachem they are really great

That is really weird looking stuff. I have no idea but it almost looks like some kind of chemical reaction. Have you tested your water parameters? Ryan is on to something. Seachem may be able to help you find the source.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Tina

disconnected the reactor and pulled it from the sump, took about 15 mins for it all to clear out of the tank... not sure if i will ever use purigen again.. i will call seachem on Monday to try and find out more. maybe i just got a bad batch... lucky my Discus aren't in the tank yet...IMG_3839.JPGIMG_3840.JPG

That looks so much better Tina. So glad that didn't harm anyone.

It would be good to contact Seachem just in case there was an issue they should know about. Looking back on my days working in a precious metal lab it looks like something has precitpitated out of the water. That one tube shot with the cottony looking substance is bizarre and the fact that the tubes look otherwise clean and free from algae is suspicious.

I use Purigen (lots of it) and have never seen anything like this. Let us know what they say. I would shoot them an email as well with that photo.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Steve

I haven't used purigen, but I have noticed a film that grows on new airline tubing. I think there's some kind of coating that the bacteria grows on, and after the initial gunk is gone, it's fine. Maybe something similar to that.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I haven't used purigen, but I have noticed a film that grows on new airline tubing. I think there's some kind of coating that the bacteria grows on, and after the initial gunk is gone, it's fine. Maybe something similar to that.
    this is along the lines of what i was thinking, i had some silicone decorations that grew a pretty significant white fuz which the pic reminded me of.