ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Uh oh... Update- I have ditched the 30 gallon extra tall!

Default Uh oh... Update- I have ditched the 30 gallon extra tall!

You guys know I have been making some crazy, impulsive decisions on this reef set up. Well....I went to a reef shop looking for an adapter for the ro/di and the guy asked what I was setting up. He then took apart what I had piece by piece. Ultimately the tank is too narrow and tall for successful coral growth which you guys have been telling me all along. Also the sump is so small and almost completely inaccessible. I was also worried about the overflow box. If I have one more flood the insurance company will drop us. They have said so. The prior 2 water damage issues were not aquarium related but roof and water damning issues. I just can't take any chances if I want to stay married. I know you guys also have had issues with yours (overflows-not marriages I hope).

I really didn't love any of the tanks he had in stock or the stands. With a different tank, I would have to buy or build a bigger sump and it seemed like everything was caving in on me. I swear I almost passed out. I was about to go home and re-group, when I saw the little Red Sea Nano that was set up- which was what I had wanted from the very beginning. After researching, I had wanted to go bigger than 20 and still do. I had liked the 43 gallon Reefer 170 but did not want to shop for all the stuff. Well, now I already have and I did it well thanks to everyone here. Everything I bought except the acrylic baffles and the ten gallon tank are a perfect fit for the reefer. The guy ordered me the tank I really wanted, gave me a stocking credit equal to the sales tax and sure I spent a lot of money but now I know it will work, I will love it and I will not have to upgrade or re-buy anything. Plus it comes with a great sump and an integrated top off system that I had not purchased yet. I love the low lead, extra clear glass- it is like viewing fish in HD.

So I am still stressed from having the experience of the bottom dropping out on my project but equally excited that I will have the tank I really wanted from the get go. Someday I will be able to afford a live animal to put in it.

The 30 extra tall will be re-listed on Craig's list. It may have to sit until indoor activities resume for buyers in the fall. The new one arrives on Tuesday and I can scape and fill and cycle and even can enjoy it during that- it is just that beautiful. You only live once right? Though the stress of this day may have taken a few years off...

The funniest thing is the adapter I went in to get? No charge. It did end up costing me a hard dose of reality and a lot of money in the end- Maybe I should have gone to Home Depot? Kidding.

reefer_170_black_web.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Default Re: Uh oh... Update- I have ditched the 30 gallon extra tall!

YOU ARE NUTS!!!!

LOL kidding. You are going to be thrilled when it's done

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    YOU ARE NUTS!!!!

LOL kidding. You are going to be thrilled when it's done
    Don't hold back at all buddy!

I am still coming out of the nervous breakdown stage but I will be okay...Thanks for the confidence. I needed that.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Everything happens for a reason right ???

Better now than 6 months from now when the tank is stocked. Or worse ... failing because of the odd size. Something like this could change your fish keeping course. You may have been a 6 month reefer out of frustration. Now maybe you are a lifer !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Everything happens for a reason right ???

Better now than 6 months from now when the tank is stocked. Or worse ... failing because of the odd size. Something like this could change your fish keeping course. You may have been a 6 month reefer out of frustration. Now maybe you are a lifer !!!
    Thanks so much for that Dat! Really I was thinking I would get the "I told you so's" that I deserved. I tried to be frugal on the tank and get the best I could afford on the equipment but the best equipment on the wrong tank would be certain failure as well. You are right, I would get discouraged and have given it up.

Thank you for the encouragement. This was a weird day. I will follow through with updates and pics to resume Tuesday-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks so much for that Dat! Really I was thinking I would get the "I told you so's" that I deserved. I tried to be frugal on the tank and get the best I could afford on the equipment but the best equipment on the wrong tank would be certain failure as well. You are right, I would get discouraged and have given it up.

Thank you for the encouragement. This was a weird day. I will follow through with updates and pics to resume Tuesday-ish.
    Hey your other half gave you the green light so what's there to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Hey your other half gave you the green light so what's there to worry about
    Yes Ryan he was great about it. He has been really supportive through both tanks. He winced at the initial cost but knows I have been doing my side jobs to fund it. He knows they make me happy and they really add interest to our home.

It is not worry so much as the immediate feeling of failure or almost failure before I had even begun. I had invested so much in time and money and now that just doubled. There is your buddy's monster double rule popping out it's frighting head again. Everything does cost twice as much as I had thought- he has visited twice now and he can't come back. My coffers are empty.

Also I am usually a thrifty person. The sticker shock has left me shaky. It is a really nice tank though.....have I said that?

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

That tank is well suited for what you plan on doing. They 30 was going to be a PITA! lol Scaping this tank will be much easier and will look more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    That tank is well suited for what you plan on doing. They 30 was going to be a PITA! lol Scaping this tank will be much easier and will look more natural.
    Thanks so much Devon. I am really glad I did it now. The self inflicted guilt has mostly subsided. I am now moving on and looking forward to the fun of setting it up. I am lucky I waited before I started attacking that pile of rock.

This tank comes with a sump. I am really looking forward to using a sump that was designed to work with the tank and the livestock in it. When I set up the discus I had bought an Eshopps that is really made for marine applications and it took me 8 months and lots of different set ups, media and money before I finally have it dialed in. That was a pain. The tiny sump I was about to build would have been worse.

Another plus is Red Sea runs very quiet. I was standing right next to the nano they had set up and you could only hear a little stir of water.

I truly believe that DatDiscusDude is right that everything happens for a reason (at lease this thing .) I will have the right set up and this shop owner also has the cleanest most beautiful tanks and the best assortment of livestock at fair prices. He is only 3 miles from my home. I know when I am ready to stock he will help me choose the right things at the right time.