ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adult brine shrimp to spice things up

Registered Member

Default adult brine shrimp to spice things up

Hey all
    (
    Im giving beef heart as day today fish meal for discuss. But when they fed up of eating beef heart. Im lacking of food source to give them.

I heard changing food is really good for their appetite too.

So I saw many videos in youtube about adult brine shrimps for discuss

Do you think this will work ? can this be a opportunity to catch my fish with some parasites issue ? Because you know adult brine shrimps are in kind of dirty water . and they grow in with alge n all.

So do you think that this is a good option to follow ??

Also I dont use forzen blood worms because a whole lot of discuss died due to a bacteria attack that came out from blood worms.
    From that day on I dont use blood worms.

Please help me

Default Re: adult brine shrimp to spice things up

I personally have never fed brine shrimp since I had not seen it was a recommended food source. I use a variety of other foods beef heart, high quality, high protein pellets and Al's Freeze Dried Black worms. You can order them here in the sponsor section. The are clean, high in protein and a go to food for people whose fish have stopped eating. The discus LOVE them. I also must mention the Discus Chow he carries is a daily staple. Very clean, high in protein, a great value and every pellet gets eaten. Also Al is a rock star about shipping and the price of that is included in the list price. (I am not being paid as a spokesperson I assure you- these are just really great foods IMO.)

Read up on this link about frozen brine shrimp. Hope this helps.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t=brine+shrimp
    Last edited by Jenene; 04-15-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I use to give them brine as a treat or a snack. I would use it as a staple but more as an addition. I feed beef heart, Als FDBW, extra large frozen blood worms and I uses to feed Als Discus Gold food but have ran out.

Real Name
    Naz

Hi lahi88, try freeze dried blackworms which is much better than frozen brine shrimp.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

I just want discuss as a eating stimulant . will this work ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Hi lahi88, try freeze dried blackworms which is much better than frozen brine shrimp.
    I really dont belive in worms i mean any type of worms
    I learnt my lessions about them.

Quote Originally Posted by lahi88 View Post
    I really dont belive in worms i mean any type of worms
    I learnt my lessions about them.
    Would you mind explaining this train of thought? What lessons have you learned? Most of us here use the freeze dried black worms as a daily, super clean and healthy staple. They are actually used when fish are not eating well because they are so readily accepted by discus (in general).

I hope you don't take offense by my question- I am not trying to give you a hard time by any means, I am just really curious why you think all worms are bad.

I am not sure you will find many brine shrimp fans here. I hope you find the correct information you are seeking regarding them. I know personally I would trust the experienced members here (they are the most knowledgeable) over Youtube videos on any given day IMO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

its a lot of work and a mess to raise brine shrimp, at least it was for me. i can see wanting to hatch brine shrimp for baby discus but for adults that just seems like more work than its worth, especially when there are so many other good foods available. i will also say that freeze dried black worms are my discus' favourite food, and if u want to add a healthy variety i would recommend them over brine shrimp.

Registered Member

Hi, I sometimes feed live adult brine shrimps to my heckels. I buy them in sealed bags and keep them in the fridge. It is meant to be a treat as it is expensive to feed two large bags of adult brine shrimp to 9 fully grown discus in one meal. I turn off the filter and air stone during feeding to allow discus enough time to hunt the shrimp one by one. I find brine shrimp to be good for unblocking the intestines of discus especially after medication to help run things smoothly. They might also have some digestible calcium which can't be bad I suppose. It basically adds some variety to their overall diet. They also eat frozen enriched mysis shrimp. Also, I've read on a seahorse forum that live brine shrimp are good at absorbing medications (such as metronidazole or kanaplex) which can then be given to discus. I've in the past tried soaking live brine shrimp in ro water containing metronidazole for approximately 15 minutes as part of their treatment for what it's worth...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Would you mind explaining this train of thought? What lessons have you learned? Most of us here use the freeze dried black worms as a daily, super clean and healthy staple. They are actually used when fish are not eating well because they are so readily accepted by discus (in general).

I hope you don't take offense by my question- I am not trying to give you a hard time by any means, I am just really curious why you think all worms are bad.

I am not sure you will find many brine shrimp fans here. I hope you find the correct information you are seeking regarding them. I know personally I would trust the experienced members here (they are the most knowledgeable) over Youtube videos on any given day IMO.

Hello Friend.
    Actually Im also learner. So feel free to correct me at any time.

Btw what I learnt was I used Chinese imported freezed dead worm cubes to give discuss as their food apart from Beef heart mixed. They were so happy and heavy eaters back then. But I noticed after a week they tend to loose their appetite after start giving them this particular cubes. And they become really really dark in colour and stopped eating. I checked water parameters , they were ok.
    Anyway I changed water and gave them optimum living conditions.
    Then one by one started dying . Still i kept feeding them with Blood worms. That was the only intake of foreign matter in to the tank. So I decided some kind of virus , bacteria or parasite issue with them. Only 2 of them survived from 8.
    No antibacterial or methylene blue or metronidazole anything worked for them.
    I showed the fish to a vet he said if water parameters ok and anything wont work that could be a Viral issue.
    he said blood worms cubes could contaminate with some viral spores or cells.

So Now im really scared of using blood worms.

Still I need a good food source to keep their appetite going.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

without an autopsy to determine the cause of the illness i would not assume it was due to the food. eg they could have come in with an internal parasite which was not affected by meds. hundreds of us feed FDBW to out discus without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lahi88 View Post
    Hello Friend.
    Actually Im also learner. So feel free to correct me at any time.

Btw what I learnt was I used Chinese imported freezed dead worm cubes to give discuss as their food apart from Beef heart mixed. They were so happy and heavy eaters back then. But I noticed after a week they tend to loose their appetite after start giving them this particular cubes. And they become really really dark in colour and stopped eating. I checked water parameters , they were ok.
    Anyway I changed water and gave them optimum living conditions.
    Then one by one started dying . Still i kept feeding them with Blood worms. That was the only intake of foreign matter in to the tank. So I decided some kind of virus , bacteria or parasite issue with them. Only 2 of them survived from 8.
    No antibacterial or methylene blue or metronidazole anything worked for them.
    I showed the fish to a vet he said if water parameters ok and anything wont work that could be a Viral issue.
    he said blood worms cubes could contaminate with some viral spores or cells.

So Now im really scared of using blood worms.

Still I need a good food source to keep their appetite going.
    Wow...No wonder why you are so hesitant to use worms. I am so sorry that happened to you. We always strive to do the best for the creatures in our care and when we put trust in a source of food that may have made them sick there would be a lot of guilt and frustration. I completely understand.

I think in this case, in my humble opinion, it helps to consider the source of the food as well as the actual content of the product. It sounds like this imported product was definitely contaminated. I remember when I first started out I did feed frozen blood worms but was instructed to buy only the Hikari brand because the go through a rigorous process of cleaning and sterilizing them. I rarely feed them now since there are so many other higher protein choices available.

I think we can sell ourselves short though if we group all worms into one category. Freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried black worms look very much alike. Are you located in the united States? The other worms that we have been raving about are a different species of worm, the black worm which is grown in much cleaner, more regulated conditions are are perfectly safe in freeze dried form. Here is a bit of information on the source of them.

http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-D...riginal_c6.htm

I have not fed Brine Shrimp to my fish for the same reason as blood worms. I hope this helps!

Hello,
    Theres nothing wrong with feeding live brine shrimp as a treat. It will also help with appetite problems. The real issue is the nutritional composition of the brine shrimp adults could be better. These are filter feeders so if you can get some powered spirulina or even very fine fish food powder and feed the brine shrimp before feeding to the discus. This will gut load them a bit. They make special foods for this but in the past..I had good luck with powdered egg,powdered spirullina and brewers yeast. Feed sparingly a few hours before feeding them to discus... be sure to rinse well also. Its a bit of work but for a tank or two not too much.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hello,
    Theres nothing wrong with feeding live brine shrimp as a treat. It will also help with appetite problems. The real issue is the nutritional composition of the brine shrimp adults could be better. These are filter feeders so if you can get some powered spirulina or even very fine fish food powder and feed the brine shrimp before feeding to the discus. This will gut load them a bit. They make special foods for this but in the past..I had good luck with powdered egg,powdered spirullina and brewers yeast. Feed sparingly a few hours before feeding them to discus... be sure to rinse well also. Its a bit of work but for a tank or two not too much.

Hth,
    Al
    What is your take on frozen Al? I was under the impression that is what the question was about. Maybe I misunderstood the original thought.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Wow...No wonder why you are so hesitant to use worms. I am so sorry that happened to you. We always strive to do the best for the creatures in our care and when we put trust in a source of food that may have made them sick there would be a lot of guilt and frustration. I completely understand.

I think in this case, in my humble opinion, it helps to consider the source of the food as well as the actual content of the product. It sounds like this imported product was definitely contaminated. I remember when I first started out I did feed frozen blood worms but was instructed to buy only the Hikari brand because the go through a rigorous process of cleaning and sterilizing them. I rarely feed them now since there are so many other higher protein choices available.

I think we can sell ourselves short though if we group all worms into one category. Freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried black worms look very much alike. Are you located in the united States? The other worms that we have been raving about are a different species of worm, the black worm which is grown in much cleaner, more regulated conditions are are perfectly safe in freeze dried form. Here is a bit of information on the source of them.

http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-D...riginal_c6.htm

I have not fed Brine Shrimp to my fish for the same reason as blood worms. I hope this helps!
    Hey Im located in Sri lanka.
    here we have mostly Chinese products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast