ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Use Krylon Paint Inside My Tank?

Default Can I Use Krylon Paint Inside My Tank?

I saw people discussing this on Facebook and was wondering if anyone had any good information on this?

Somehow I find it hard to believe that any type of spray paint could be non-polluting inside of a tank.

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Can I Use Krylon Paint Inside My Tank?

Believe or not Stu...I too have heard Krylon Fusion can be used inside aquariums making sure it fully cures. I would never do it however just because.
    There are other epoxy type paints that are used out on the market but heard they are expensive.
    I really don't see why painting the inside would make any difference as compared to the outside other then to cover tanks with black plastic center braces.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

When I asked why they would want to do this they told me to paint various interior uplift tubes, etc to better blend into the background.

I would'n't mind painting the somewhat ugly green Eheim tubes a better color but I am afraid of paint on the inside of my tank.

Silver Member

i got eheim installation kits to replace the green tubes. https://www.bigalspets.com/catalogse...stallation+kit.

a bit on the pricey side, but they don not stand out like the green tubes. better than painting IMO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Krylon fusion 100% safe. I've used it many times on items I put inside the tank with no problems. Just let it cure for a week

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    i got eheim installation kits to replace the green tubes. https://www.bigalspets.com/catalogse...stallation+kit.

a bit on the pricey side, but they don not stand out like the green tubes. better than painting IMO.
    Thanks Jim, but you said it "pricey". Is this pricing for a Mercedes part? lol! I'm wondering if I could find a better fit and price with a Fluval siphon.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Krylon fusion 100% safe. I've used it many times on items I put inside the tank with no problems. Just let it cure for a week

I too have used it without any issues. I used it on bulkheads and on all the plastic parts of spongefilters, including the clear lift tube.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I also used it to paint a white bulkhead inside the tank, painted it black. Perfectly safe, it was there for years with all my discus. Sold the tank when we moved since I had to downsize.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Eric

Good to know. I think that would make a better looking bottom than one painted on the underside.

I've used it on my planted tanks, no issues there.

Ok, my eyes have been opened. Just give it a week to cure as stated earlier or is it good to go sooner?

Another person here, I have painted PVC black in tanks that have been going for a least a couple of years. I have not had chipping or anything else bad. Not sure on min cure time.

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    I saw people discussing this on Facebook and was wondering if anyone had any good information on this?

Somehow I find it hard to believe that any type of spray paint could be non-polluting inside of a tank.
    Check this out. Joey The King of DIY paints his DIY overflows. You can skip right to 4:30 into the video to see the part about the paint. This guy knows his stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZytENJZtJw
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Good to know. I think that would make a better looking bottom than one painted on the underside.
    Do not paint the tank floor in the inside. Use this paint to paint minor pieces

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

i've used it on overflow pipes .....the spawners would chip it as they peck it to prep a spawning site ....the leopard stem pipe !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast