ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 75 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless Sump Freshwater

Default 75 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless Sump Freshwater

My Journal
    Dear Fellow Discus Lovers,

Since this is my first post about my new tank, I figured I would begin my journalling today in "Our Tank Journey or Journals".

Down under my tank will be a sump set up. When I get it, next week, I will be asking a lot of questions, so you've been warned.

1. The BONES:

• 75 gallon Deep Blue Edge Rimless 48x18x20
    • Stand is an R&J Black Empire
    • Light - Fin Nex 48 inch planted plus

2. Fish

• 2 small discus
    • 3 pigeon blood mid sized
    • TBD 5 Sterba's Cory Cat (Corydoras sterbai)
    • TBD 1 Otocinclus Catfish (Hypoptopoma gulare)
    • TBD 5 Discus from Kenny in CA

3. Sump Aqueon Proflex Model 1, Return Syncra Silent 3.5
    http://www.sicce.com/prodottiDettagl.../idprodotto=60
    http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueo...YbyhoC4Zrw_wcB

I am told that I will have 2 bulk heads, a stand pipe, and 2 holes in the bottom of the tank pre drilled. I will use them for input and output. Also I will use flexible hosing because I hear it is easier than PVC etc. Plus, I am not a plumber nor a professional. If you know of a good DIY video, then pass it along.

4. CO2 Injector
    Since I never did this before, it will be interesting. I plan to go to a paintball store and buy the CO2 gas valve regulator, and a timer regulator.. Obviously I sound smart, but I don't know what I am doing yet.

5. Plants!

6. Fertilizer and as I said earlier...good lighting (see 1.)

7. 5lb bottle filled with CO2 from a bike shop I guess... I hear it will last me about 7 months.

8. Media.... Bio, carbon or chemical (the kind that doesn't remove what is good for plants), and foam or mechaical...

9. Seachem Prime?

10.Seachem Flourish Advance Planted Aquarium Phytohormone Supplement?

11.Phosphate Remover Infused Media Pads?

Finally, I am confused about WC and sumps. I heard that this set up will require less WC, and I am not afraid of the WC challenge, but I am learning still. If I can clean the carbon which collects nitrates, then why should I do a say 50% daily?

Please share your strengths, hopes, and experiences with me. Also thank you for listening to me talk about my hobby. Share anything that you were thinking as you read this.
    Last edited by kimberly; 05-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    Be kind.

Default Re: 75 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless Sump Freshwater

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    Dear Fellow Discus Lovers,

Since this is my first post about my new tank, I figured I would begin my journalling today in "Our Tank Journey or Journals".

Down under my tank will be a sump set up. When I get it, next week, I will be asking a lot of questions, so you've been warned.

1. The BONES:

• 75 gallon Deep Blue Edge Rimless 48x18x20
    • Stand is an R&J Black Empire
    • Light - Fin Nex 48 inch planted plus

2. Fish

• 2 small discus
    • 3 pigeon blood mid sized
    • TBD 5 Sterba's Cory Cat (Corydoras sterbai)
    • TBD 1 Otocinclus Catfish (Hypoptopoma gulare)
    • TBD 5 Discus from Kenny in CA

3. Sump Aqueon Proflex Model 1, Return Syncra Silent 3.5
    http://www.sicce.com/prodottiDettagl.../idprodotto=60
    http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/aqueo...YbyhoC4Zrw_wcB

I am told that I will have 2 bulk heads, a stand pipe, and 2 holes in the bottom of the tank pre drilled. I will use them for input and output. Also I will use flexible hosing because I hear it is easier than PVC etc. Plus, I am not a plumber nor a professional. If you know of a good DIY video, then pass it along.

4. CO2 Injector
    Since I never did this before, it will be interesting. I plan to go to a paintball store and buy the CO2 gas valve regulator, and a timer regulator.. Obviously I sound smart, but I don't know what I am doing yet.

5. Plants!

6. Fertilizer and as I said earlier...good lighting (see 1.)

7. 5lb bottle filled with CO2 from a bike shop I guess... I hear it will last me about 7 months.

8. Media.... Bio, carbon or chemical (the kind that doesn't remove what is good for plants), and foam or mechaical...

9. Seachem Prime?

10.Seachem Flourish Advance Planted Aquarium Phytohormone Supplement?

11.Phosphate Remover Infused Media Pads?

Finally, I am confused about WC and sumps. I heard that this set up will require less WC, and I am not afraid of the WC challenge, but I am learning still. If I can clean the carbon which collects nitrates, then why should I do a say 50% daily?

Please share your strengths, hopes, and experiences with me. Also thank you for listening to me talk about my hobby. Share anything that you were thinking as you read this.
    Kimberley I believe in early posts you had said you were only going to have a few plants. Co2 will likely not be required and may complicate things for you. What are your plans for plants?

Co2 requires much more than a tank and regulator. You will need a diffuser bubble counter of drop checker etc. Co2 will cause your ph to fluctuate as well.

As far as ferts go flourish is not enough on its on. You need micros and macros. Depending on your plants ferts may not be needed either or potentially just some root tabs. The type of plants will determine all of these things of course
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

at least ten plants
    Be kind.

Sounds like a good first thought here since you are going with a planted tank with Discus is to determine what species of plants you will have in it.. like Ryan said that is going to really determine alot of the things you will need to keep them healthy and growing... I'm not a planted tank person when it comes to Discus but I would suggest you map out your tank....where are the open areas going to be.....where will X plant species go... try to clump the plants in the back ground and leave the foreground as open as possible or you may not see your Discus at for a very long time.

good luck, looking forward to watching it develop.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sounds like a good first thought here since you are going with a planted tank with Discus is to determine what species of plants you will have in it.. like Ryan said that is going to really determine alot of the things you will need to keep them healthy and growing... I'm not a planted tank person when it comes to Discus but I would suggest you map out your tank....where are the open areas going to be.....where will X plant species go... try to clump the plants in the back ground and leave the foreground as open as possible or you may not see your Discus at for a very long time.

good luck, looking forward to watching it develop.

al
    Thanks Al! Hi!

I plan to buy Anubias barteri var. ? (not sure which species)

I will let you know what else I have available at my local store.
    Be kind.

You can go low tech and still have lush green plants. You can do things like swords, anubias, java fern etc that don't need co2 and little ferts and do well in discus temps.

I made a note of those three plants because I noticed that you are coming from an experience with plants. I take it you know what you are talking about. What plants did you avoid in order to made your discus grow faster?
    Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    I made a note of those three plants because I noticed that you are coming from an experience with plants. I take it you know what you are talking about. What plants did you avoid in order to made your discus grow faster?
    All of them . I now have a discus tank and a planted tank but not a planted discus tank. anubias and java fern are nice because they can be attached to wood allowing you to keep substrate clean

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    All of them . I now have a discus tank and a planted tank but not a planted discus tank. anubias and java fern are nice because they can be attached to wood allowing you to keep substrate clean
    Well I am buying this substrate that looks like dirt. I forgot the name. Then I am putting a small rock substrate over it (just a little). So you're saying that a planted tank all together is just not a great idea? Even with the sump set up that I have, I will still need to siphon vaccuum the dirt?
    Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You can go low tech and still have lush green plants. You can do things like swords, anubias, java fern etc that don't need co2 and little ferts and do well in discus temps.
    Are you familiar with...
    Tropica Plant Care Freshwater Planted Aquarium Soil POWDER 9 Liter Bag

I was told that I don't have to vacuum this dirt because it is not gravel. Is it true that soil is not vacuumed? I heard that the nitrates will go into the plants. He said that I don't have to pick up anything on the dirt. Don't judge, please. i am listening to two different perspectives and it is my first time with a sump.
    Last edited by kimberly; 05-13-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Be kind.