AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: discus vacation

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

Default discus vacation

plan on taking the bus on a camping outing in a couple weeks for 4-5 days and the wife flatly refuses to take the fish with us so they must be left alone,,any suggestions to keep them safe and happy for that time?

Default Re: discus vacation

Quote Originally Posted by gluedandscrewed View Post
    plan on taking the bus on a camping outing in a couple weeks for 4-5 days and the wife flatly refuses to take the fish with us so they must be left alone,,any suggestions to keep them safe and happy for that time?
    I was pretty nervous the first time I left mine. Thanks to the forum I was assured it's really not a big deal. I've left the for 4-5 days a couple times with no issues.

I fast for 24 hours prior to departure. Large wc evening before leaving and no no problems at all
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

thanks ryan,,I didnt think it would be a problem,,,I can have someone feed them something after a couple days,,, see any problem with that??? I only do about a 30% water change every other day anyway

+1 Ryan is right. I was actually putting off going anywhere until I could not get out of the last one. I am going to post a sticky on it but I personally would suggest the fasting system over anyone taking care of them unless they are also experience discus people. Fasting is safer! I was gone for four days and fasted doing 2 large changes and making sure the sump and filter socks were clean. I over filled the sump a bit in case of evaporation. I know I am a bit over the top...but that's just me.

Here is the sticky:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...light=vacation

Have a great trip!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

thanks ryan,,I didnt think it would be a problem,,,I can have someone feed them something after a couple days,,, see any problem with that??? I only do about a 30% water change every other day anyway
    I would do a couple large back to back changes before leaving then to be safe. I wouldn't feed while gone that way you don't need to worry about water quality
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

+++ On all the above... Less is more when away. The back to back water change works very well to assure very clean water. They will be fine without food, they can go quite some time without. Most non-fish people will over feed your tank causing it to be a mess and potentially dangerous. No food and clean water is the way to go.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

OK guys and doll,,,you convinced me,, fasting it is!!!!!! the snow start melting yet Jenene?

4-5 days is nothing....I have to leave mine for two weeks every summer for work...

Also, if you fast your fish, when you come home is a good time to introduce a new food.

[QUOTE=Neptune;
    Also, if you fast your fish, when you come home is a good time to introduce a new food.[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is a great idea!

BTW 4 days is nothing. The fish were fine but it almost killed ME. I almost put a monitor on them but my husband would have had me committed.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

You were just kidding about takeing your discus on vacation with you, right?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

OK guys and doll,,,you convinced me,, fasting it is!!!!!! the snow start melting yet Jenene?
    Yes Chris, the trees are getting green! You know it is spring when the plow company pulls the stakes!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chris

wishful thinking rochester,,, I know what upstate winters are like