AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving Up on the Hobby?

Real Name
    TONY

Default Re: Giving Up on the Hobby?

First, WELCOME! Next, Don't quit! I know some setbacks drain the love & life out of you but you gotta hang in there. Yes at times it's easier said than done but trust me, you can recover. W/C's are the best possible medicine for Discus. It is possible to successfully leave them & return w/out issue but there are a bunch of things that can go wrong also. Some beyond your control. I haven't been at it as long as some here but I've had a myriad of highs & lows, smiles & tears. The rewards far outweigh so I continue to pursue the hobby w/ an open mind & a desire to improve. Best of luck, "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member

Thanks for the support and encouragement, I found out it was a faulty heater that won't turn off, probably on one of the days that I was gone for my trip the temperature must of spiked. When I came back home from work one day I saw that it was at 99.7 F, I bought a temperature controller, I don't trust the automatic heaters anymore. As for the remaining discus they are now doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Thanks for the support and encouragement, I found out it was a faulty heater that won't turn off, probably on one of the days that I was gone for my trip the temperature must of spiked. When I came back home from work one day I saw that it was at 99.7 F,
    yep.. samething for me.. lost entire tank of juvs.. Temp!
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Real Name
    Jacklyn

a lot of people use two undersized heaters in their tank, that way if one fails it isn't strong enough to boil your fish. and if it fails and turns off there is still one to keep it from freezing.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Eric

After reading stories like this, I had a hard time sleeping until I installed an inkbird. $30 bucks for peace of mind and an insurance policy on our pricey fish is the best deal out there.

I am very sorry to hear about your losses, condolences.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    After reading stories like this, I had a hard time sleeping until I installed an inkbird. $30 bucks for peace of mind and an insurance policy on our pricey fish is the best deal out there.

Yes!, I just got one, now I can sleep better at night!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post

+1..I have 1 on both of my tanks.

First off my heart goes out to you for losing some of your beautiful discus. What a horrific scene that must have been.

The inkbirds are great. When you are looking at them it can be a bit confusing since there are so many variations on the models. My first one was the 310 blue one and it had a hardware problem that shut the heaters completely off AND the blue model does not have a low temp alarm only a high temp one. So My tank got pretty chilly before I discovered that. The company was great though. They were on a 10 day Chinese holiday and someone was working from home and got me the other (green) model 308. You can get them with attached probes or detachable probes. Someone here has had an issue with the detachable one being too loose and setting the alarm off. Either way you think about it all heaters will fail at some point. Although if you are not home to hear the alarm that is another story. At the very least it will shut down a wayward spiking heater.

I hope after a breath you can pick up and keep going with your remaining crew.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12