ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: eheim jager heater

Registered Member

Default eheim jager heater

Hi I'm thinking about buying a few eheim jager heaters for my 125 gallon tank either 2 250 watts or 2 300 watt heaters anyway I was wondering about the calibration of the heater do you need to recalibrate them everytime you turn them off seems like it would be a pain if you did when doing daily water changes just trying to get a little info on them thanks

Default Re: eheim jager heater

Quote Originally Posted by matt2426 View Post
    Hi I'm thinking about buying a few eheim jager heaters for my 125 gallon tank either 2 250 watts or 2 300 watt heaters anyway I was wondering about the calibration of the heater do you need to recalibrate them everytime you turn them off seems like it would be a pain if you did when doing daily water changes just trying to get a little info on them thanks
    I don't use that particular heater but I wouldn't think so.

It's always a huge benefit to have your heaters connected to something like an inkbird so be safe.

I have an aqueon pro 250 and a fluval e 300 connected to mine and never touch my heaters
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i lay my heater horizontally near the bottom glass so that i can do large wc without shutting it off. inkbird is a great safety feature, ive had a heater stick in the "on" position in my aging barrel and it was as hot as a jacuzzi when i discovered it... if that heater had been in my tank without a controller all my fish would have perished.

Registered Member

I've never recalibrated after initial setting.
    I disconnect power to heater during water changes.

I've had eheim Jager heaters in several tanks for about a year and a half now. They have both good and bad qualities, in my experience. For the first 6 months or so, I felt like I was constantly fighting with the calibration, especially when you have more than one ina single tank. I could never get two of them to heat to exactly the same temperature, each device was a degree or two off from the other devices, and turning that calibration ring is seriously difficult and doesn't give an exact result. The solution I figured out is to turn them all the way up as high as they'll go, and then I've got them connected to Finnex digital controllers. That way all of the heaters in one tank come on all at the same time, and the Finnex determines the tank temperature, not each individual heater on its own. This set up has worked really well, and since the Jager heaters are very responsive and can heat up quickly, this has been a good long-term solution for me.

I agree with SlimmSnake's recommendation. A temperature controller is the safest option. Not to spook you but I had a very unfortunate thermostat failure on one my 300 watt eheim/jaegers about 5 years ago. As a result, the heater element would no longer shut off and all of my discus in that tank perished. My other jaeger units did not have that problem. Back then I did not have a temp controller.
    Last edited by Jandiscus; 04-21-2017 at 12:34 PM.

I use Jagers in all of my tanks, and while it is a bit of a pain to get them calibrated at first, no you do not need to recalibrate when you unplug them and they maintain (for me at least) +/- 0.5F in all my tanks. I have tried Marinelands and FLuvals and I like the Jagers the best, but those are the only brands I have tried. The other two brands are in a drawer for spares and aging barrel heaters

Sort of like everything these days..

The ehiem heater's quality has dropped considerably. They use to be the Cadillac but not anymore. They are no better or no worse than about every other heater on the market.
    I have had several in the last couple years that would not turn off right out of the box!

Registered Member

ok thanks for the replies ya I agree with you guys I think I should dif get a heater controller probally will take a lot of the stress away of over heating so what is the best heater from what I read it seems like theres a lot of different answers

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Sort of like everything these days..

The ehiem heater's quality has dropped considerably. They use to be the Cadillac but not anymore. They are no better or no worse than about every other heater on the market.
    I have had several in the last couple years that would not turn off right out of the box!
    agree 1000%
    I have had so many that the light would come on but the heater element would not these were all Eheim Jager. they were spot on for 3 yrs then the light issue. I will not buy any more.
    I have three of the Ebo-Jager that are 25+ yrs old that still work PERFECTLY.