ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Newbie question: Is it good/bad sign 2 discus keeps laying eggs?

Default Newbie question: Is it good/bad sign 2 discus keeps laying eggs?

I have a pair of discus who have been laying eggs like 1-2 times a week for the last three weeks. It's always the same two. The eggs are bright transparent orange, and then turn darker opaque orange.

Everyone in tank looks pretty healthy, and no behavioral changes other than the parents always staying by the eggs (usually laid on tank wall).

Confession time: I'm not a great discus keeper. I change water once a week, although I do use Purigen and when I test water the parameters are usually pretty good.

Is this constant egg laying a good or bad sign?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Newbie question: Is it good/bad sign 2 discus keeps laying eggs?

That depends completely on what happens next. Do the eggs hatch? Are they eaten right away? Do you get fry? You can get spawning with weekly water changes - you just won't get show quality fish.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Default Re: Newbie question: Is it good/bad sign 2 discus keeps laying eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    That depends completely on what happens next. Do the eggs hatch? Are they eaten right away? Do you get fry? You can get spawning with weekly water changes - you just won't get show quality fish.

Willie
    The eggs do not hatch. They disappear (I assume eaten) 1-2 days later. Is this a sign of something bad or is this just normal?