AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Home from vacation

Registered Member

Default Home from vacation

After following the steps for going on vacation from this forum my fish were on their own for a week. They ate all my rummy nose Tetras and I have a ton of green algae on my sand driftwood and glass. This is odd cause I've only ever had diatoms as it's a bit newer substrate. Anyway question is do I need to do any special recovery or will this algae die once I do my regular water changes etc. I usually do 90% water changes every two days. IDE imagine the nitrates are high is it ok to do a big waterchange or should I do maybe 25% twice a day for a few days.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Home from vacation

Remove the algae manualy as much as you can before every WC and the rest should die off with your regular maintenance . Green algae are ussualy light related so lowering your light intensity or photo period might help too .
    i ussualy do 90 % WC prior vacation and a 90% WC right after coming home with no ill effects .

Real Name
    Eric

Turning off the lights and closing the blinds are on my travel check list for just this reason.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Turning off the lights and closing the blinds are on my travel check list for just this reason.
    Agree.
    Blackout during vacation is the way to go if you dont have live plants in your tank .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Generally, when I am out on vacation, I reduce the time for light, generally, from 10 hours to 3-4 hours. and reduce the temp to about 3F lower (gradually) to reduce the appetite. This may have saved your rummynose.

Also, I think the 'rummynose diet' may have affected chemical balance resulting in algae, partially due to decay of what was left uneaten. I agree with above approached regarding countering the algae issue.

I am glad all your discus are fine!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Hey at least your fish waited for vaca to eat and kill off your dither fish, mine made a snack from them in a few days time just for fun I suppose! Lol!!

Real Name
    TONY

Lest we forget that these beauties are Cichlids & although mostly peaceful are still predators capable of hunting & eating live pray as long as it can fit in their mouth. They may or may not exhibit the predatory behavior when regularly fed but left on their own, nature & survival instincts kick in. Now if their was nothing available they would have been perfectly fine for a few days but you can't expect them to ignore opportunity knocking. lol lol.
    As for the algae, lights out or at least down. When I leave mine, (as much as 11 days), lights are out. As was stated remove as much as you can & W/C's (75%) will get you back to normal. "T"
    Last edited by tonytheboss1; 04-24-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"