ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The next step...

Default The next step...

As of yesterday the rocks and substrate are in.

So I ended up throwing a few live pieces of rock in there. I know, I know... I was dead set on all dry rock. Remember when I said it would take some solid convincing to get me to go live? Well... I have been working with The Reef Shoppe guys here in town and I can't argue with them. Their tanks are absolutely stunning. It is like visiting an aquarium destination and not just a frag shop. If they had their way my entire tank would have been live rock but they knew I already had 35 lbs of dry rock at home. So they worked with me- I chose a few accent pieces carefully. One is covered is beautiful coralline algae so I have a jump start on that as well as the BB. I am hoping that Devon's evil crab cousin is not lurking in there. With my luck it will be an entire extended family of them and their smelly luggage.

I am also using the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit which should help. Bulk Reef Supply used it on their big tank project and did a great video on how it works. It is a pretty innovative system.

I ended up not needing to epoxy anything. The Reef Saver rock really just locked together nicely. I started by trying to follow all the rules of rock scaping but ended up throwing all those thoughts to the wind and just went with what I liked- keeping in mind different light requirements, keeping good current flow and having an image of what I had in mind for frag placement for the big picture. It was way fun. I hope I did it right.

I am not sure if my substrate is too deep. I was waiting for the water to clear before I leveled it out and haven't gone back in yet. Maybe once I tuck it behind and into the nooks it won't look so deep.

The shimmer from the Hydra HD light is amazing. Also adding a nice controllable wave maker in there today.

Red Sea Rock Scape 1.jpgRed Sea Rock Scape 2.jpgRed Sea Rock Scape 3.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Default Re: The next step...

Looks very nice................
    Zippy

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

What a great start! Looking really good. I can feel your enthusiasm in you post, and just know that this project is going to turn out really well....Have fun with it. Make sure you keep us updated with lots of pics...please
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    What a great start! Looking really good. I can feel your enthusiasm in you post, and just know that this project is going to turn out really well....Have fun with it. Make sure you keep us updated with lots of pics...please
    Thanks so much Joe, that means a lot. I am having so much fun with this. Once I got over the initial fear and expense- it is thrilling. I realized I have gone over the deep end when I take the instruction booklets from skimmers and bio additives to bed with me to read instead of a novel.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks so much Joe, that means a lot. I am having so much fun with this. Once I got over the initial fear and expense- it is thrilling. I realized I have gone over the deep end when I take the instruction booklets from skimmers and bio additives to bed with me to read instead of a novel.
    Haha...I get it

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Nice Jenene,
    I just checked out your other opse on the tank. I think the sand is fine, do yourself a favor and get a diamond goby and some nassarius snails they do the sand bed wonders and keep it clean. Overall scape looks good as you look at it you might see pieces you want to move. Do what ever your eye likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Nice Jenene,
    I just checked out your other opse on the tank. I think the sand is fine, do yourself a favor and get a diamond goby and some nassarius snails they do the sand bed wonders and keep it clean. Overall scape looks good as you look at it you might see pieces you want to move. Do what ever your eye likes.
    Thanks Devon, I took a water sample into the guys at the shop and I am about halfway there already. They did suggest a cleanup crew to start off with. The sand did even out nicely.

You are also right about moving things. There was a stand alone live rock in front and just to add a little interest wing I hooked it on the top. I thought it would bug me but I like it. I will put a few smaller pieces in front at some point for little islands to keep things from taking over.

The guys at the shop are really great about educating. Yesterday, I got my own private lesson about coral types complete with "props" of coral skeletons that he should me came from similar live versions in the tanks. It was really interesting. I really appreciate that they take the time with me. They have built a solid relationship that will keep me going back to them.

The water is really clear and I have my lights set low and a limited time during the day to prevent a big algae bloom. They have the same light with the app so they set theirs to what mine should be at home and had me take a pic of the app on their phone so when I got home I didn't have to remember all the different recommended spectrum settings.

The tank and sump as a whole are running efficiently and dead silent. You can only hear a trickle of water coming through the return.

Here is a pic of it today. I turned the lights up just for the pic.
    Rock Scape.jpg

Registered Member

Looking good...................

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Looking good...................
    Thanks Zippy! It is really fun. Like a cool science project.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Looking very nice.. just catching up here and reading along... May I ask why the decision to go halfies basically w the live? What put you over the edge to add some?

Those hitchikers from what I hear can be terrors...! I always said to myself if/when I get going w a salt tank I am going all dry and no nasties. Just curious as to your reasoning behind it, sounds like your LFS dudes said go all live, just interested in knowing the school of thought.

Did you add any bacteria or things to start it? Or is that the red sea reef mature jazz you spoke about?

You are asking some great questions DatDiscusDude. I seriously asked myself the same ones over and over. Maybe I made the wrong decision- I guess time will tell. You can sit back and see if I made some mistakes later on that you can avoid. I will be your guinea pig.

I had planned to go all dry rock and bought 35 lbs of Reef Saver from BRS along with the Red Sea Mature Reef kit to cycle it. I bought this before I met the guys at the reef shop who have the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen. We have several reef shops in the area but these guys really caught my attention. I told them I was VERY weary of the evil hitchhikers and they said that the worst I would likely get is aptasia and if I ever plan on putting anything in the tank I will end up with it anyway. I have heard that every reef tank has or will have them and there are many ways to control it. They explained that the rock is harvested and put in crates, dry, on a ship for weeks. Then it sits on a dock for even longer. By the time they get it, it has been out of the ocean for a very long time. The microscopic beneficial stuff stays alive deep withing the rock, and most of the other stuff does not survive. If I did get anything they would see it through with me. I told them the horror of Devon's crab and they were surprised. They had not had many issues like that-very few in all the years they have been doing this. They use it in everyone of their tanks. They also explained that there are so many beneficial forms of life in those rocks you just can't get from a bottle. They believe the benefit overshadows any small risk. They are both very old school. Simple, no frills guys. They use salt, ro/di, a good skimmer and great lighting. That is it. Not even reactors. At that point I just had to trust them. I see their passion and their willingness educate. They actually kind of had a fit when I showed them the Red Sea kit. It did do something odd to the test results and made the water all cloudy and the results hard to read. They were laughing that it has a flammable warning on the back! They advised me to stop using it so I have. I go in again on Thursday to retest. I have been testing as well but like to compare with theirs. The rock they gave me should be enough to seed the others fairly quickly even though I told them I am in no hurry at all, they said it is moving along but will do better without the weird Red Sea stuff.

I think the one thing I really love about that shop is they have their tanks full of the most beautiful assortments of corals in all colors and sizes. From frags to really large ones and they are all corals that can be kept by the average person and at reasonable prices. They don't put difficult things in the store that people will fall for and want but not be able to keep alive.

So I guess it all comes down to trust. For the length of time they have been there and by seeing what they can do with the most basic equipment I am taking a leap of faith and working with them. I hope I don't come back here in a few months having to start over but I think the guys know it is in their best interest to foster this relationship. Just as I am faithful to my first discus supplier I will be to them as well if they can help me to be a successful hobbiest.

I think there will always be a debate about live or dry. Talk about riding the fence here- but now that I have live rock the fence has swung wide open to what ever was left in there.... Just hoping for a healthy pasture.
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Very eloquently said and chock full of info. I really appreciate the time
    You took to spell that out. Makes a lot of sense based on your response!

The one thing you seem to have in your corner that a lot don't is a good reliable local source w people you trust ! You sure are lucky !

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Very eloquently said and chock full of info. I really appreciate the time
    You took to spell that out. Makes a lot of sense based on your response!

The one thing you seem to have in your corner that a lot don't is a good reliable local source w people you trust ! You sure are lucky !
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I really hope it works out the way I have planned. There are so many variables to deal with. One day at a time!That is the fun part. So much to look forward to at this early stage.

It sounds like you have been thinking about this. Is there a salt water tank in your future? I always said never, but never came up really quickly!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I'm sure it will turn out just how you want it to. You seem very passionate dedicated and more than willing to listen and weigh out suggestions. All the tools needed to be a super successful aquarist if you ask me.

And you said it! Bottom line is fun! At the end of the day the nice part of this hobby is that all can be "fixed" although sometimes not in the forms we may want or like such as starting over, ripping things apart, culling etc. but also on the other end as well. Live and learn right ? As long as you are having fun.

We are very very similar let me tell you. I've been quietly following along and taking notes. I took you up on the Guiana pig offer well before you well... offered! Lol

I want to get into salt at some point. I just need to be in the right space and have the funds and all. And time!!

Thanks for that Dat! It is an honor to be your guinea pig. I hope I can help you someday like the guys here have all helped me. Your kindness and encouragement are priceless as well. I often tell people that is is not just the hobby but the friends you meet along the way that makes it so much more enjoyable!

Do me a favor and PM me some day when you do start a tank. It will be fun to watch. I look forward to the day- It may be sooner than you think!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast