Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The next step...

Default Re: The next step...

Amy updated pics of your project ?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Amy updated pics of your project ?
    Yes Ryan, Thanks for asking. I was waiting to get a few more things in this week but since you asked... Last Thursday I had the guys at the reef shop double check my water parameters and it all looked good so I came home with a pair of Picasso Clowns, a Candy Cane Coral, 3 snails and a conch. The conch is totally creepy and has weird stick eyes. It totally freaked me out because they just bagged the clean up crew without me even seeing what they put in there until I got home...

Here are some pics. This Thursday I will go in for something else. He said something that moves a little bit like a hammer coral or some scarlet hermits. Not crazy about hermits so we will see. Here are some pics. Not great ones...The clowns are very hyper. Clowns.jpgCandy Cane.jpgP_20170504_202333_LL.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Wow look at those colors already

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

^ I love the color of that coral.

Thanks Ryan and EJ. Hopefully the coral will be happy and grow more heads. The one in the little nano Red Sea at the shop doubled in just a few months and it looks like a group of neon flowers. This one has a 3rd head but hard to see since it is immature ans still white. Pretty cool watching it open all the way. I still can't believe I can keep it alive. Tested the water tonight everything is where is should be so far. Weird to test for like 6 things instead of just a few with the discus.

This tank is going to be a lot of fun. So many options out there.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Looks great Jenene! I know nothing about saltwater but have always been interested in something like this so thanks for for posting your experience. Keep the pics coming!

Registered Member

Wow, the tank looks great............... you can give me your ugly Discus now...................
    Zippy

Looks great, cleared up nicely!!! Excited to see this project develop

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Very nice stuff! That conch is soooo cool! Wow!

You are lucky to have such a great team at your LFS to guide you. So I have a few more follow up stuff. How long from initial set up until the fish additions? I am guessing the fella's have been testing your water along the way and gave you the green light?

Looks like they got you off to a slow steady start, with salt is what I hear the way to go, little bit at a time. How did you decide what to add to begin with and what are your stocking plans moving forward?

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Looks great Jenene! I know nothing about saltwater but have always been interested in something like this so thanks for for posting your experience. Keep the pics coming!
    Thanks Eric! I knew absolutely zero until a few weeks ago. Then what I thought I knew went out the door when I met the Reef Shop guys here in town. They are old school and poo pooed a lot of what I thought I knew. Their tanks are so gorgeous I am doing exactly what the tell me to do. My equipment was right at least. The guys here were great helping me pick out the important stuff.

I have some new acquisitions from today (2) I will post tomorrow. Just settling them in...Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro252 View Post
    Looks great, cleared up nicely!!! Excited to see this project develop
    Thanks Matt! I hope that one I got today turns out to be something interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Very nice stuff! That conch is soooo cool! Wow!

You are lucky to have such a great team at your LFS to guide you. So I have a few more follow up stuff. How long from initial set up until the fish additions? I am guessing the fella's have been testing your water along the way and gave you the green light?

Looks like they got you off to a slow steady start, with salt is what I hear the way to go, little bit at a time. How did you decide what to add to begin with and what are your stocking plans moving forward?
    Your question are great Dat. I am very lucky to have found the guys at the reef shop. They are only 5 minutes from my home and I was referred by another local member here who went in looking for driftwood and knew I was starting a reef tank.

With all dry rock it would have taken 4 to 6 weeks just like a discus tank. Those few pieces of live rock and the addition of live sand had me ready for creatures in 2 weeks.

I had been testing my water and then have them double check me so I know I am doing them correctly. Many of the tests for marine are pretty complicated with multiple solutions, powders and titrations. Thank heavens I have not had to do dilutions for the titrations yet! Yikes. I was really happy today to see how close I am hitting the mark. I had them double check my magnesium since it came out on the low side of 1160. It should be 1300-1400. They used a completely different brand of test and we only came out 10 ppm difference. That was a confidence builder!

At week 2- I was ready for some hardy fish and coral. Clowns are considered bullet proof which I was really hoping was true since I fell in love with the "designer" Picasso Clowns at $125 a pair and the are so tiny! I knew my main goal was just a few fish and mostly a great variety of colorful corals. They have a smaller Red Sea tank in the shop that is just stunning. I have told the guys what my vision is and every week I pick out a few more. I am looking for some that cover the rocks, maybe something the clowns will host, some great movement and of coarse the crazy bright colors. There are so many choices. One that I will post tomorrow does not look like much but as they grow they are spectacular. So patience is a virtue from this point on. I will update with pics tomorrow once they settle in. Thanks for those awesome questions!
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-11-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Okay then! Seems like Thursday is my reef shopping day. This week I picked up Frogspawn and a Flower Anemone. The Flower Anemone does not look like much yet. In fact he had a huge one that was really cool but it was about 8 years old. . It looked like something from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. He had some tiny ones for sale and talked me into the orange since I already have green in there. He is right. When it gets bigger it will be spectacular. So I will post the tiny guy who looks like a little pile of mud right now and a pic of what it should look like when it grows or something similar...Flower Anemone.jpgflower-anemone-red.jpgFrog Spawn.jpg

Also the Candy Cane Coral heads are now completely open and the third new growth is beginning to green up a bit.
    P_20170513_132027_LL.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Wow! Love it

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Haha...You have a reef shopping day? Luv it!! I'm really enjoying seeing the progress of this project, as its the sort of thing i'd like to have a go at one day. Its coming along very nicely. Thanks for the updates.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast