AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The next step...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: The next step...

I hope I'm completely wrong but nems, especially this variety NEED very established tanks. Keep an eye out I bleaching

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I hope I'm completely wrong but nems, especially this variety NEED very established tanks. Keep an eye out I bleaching
    Thanks Ricardo, your guess is as good as mine on that because I know nothing yet. I am at the mercy of the reef shop owner who seems to have taken me on as a pet project. The flower anemone he said and I quote " can live in a toilet" . It seems to be happy so far and has opened nicely. Did you mean the frog spawn? This is actually an LPS coral and he said will adapt well to my light and flow is the most important factor with this.

My one concern is he does tend to forget I am a complete rookie. He has been with me the entire way so far though. From the purchase of the tank to double checking my water testing for me. He knows everything I am using from lighting to salt and supplements. He has more confidence in me than I do ...I will keep you updated on them- I sure hope you are wrong!
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-14-2017 at 12:39 AM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks Ricardo, your guess is as good as mine on that because I know nothing yet. I am at the mercy of the reef shop owner who seems to have taken me on as a pet project. The flower anemone he said and I quote " can live in a toilet" . It seems to be happy so far and has opened nicely. Did you mean the frog spawn? This is actually an LPS coral and he said will adapt well to my light and flow is the most important factor with this.

My one concern is he does tend to forget I am a complete rookie. He has been with me the entire way so far though. From the purchase of the tank to double checking my water testing for me. He knows everything I am using from lighting to salt and supplements. He has more confidence in me than I do ...I will keep you updated on them- I sure hope you are wrong!
    Yes, I meant the nem, not the euphyllia. That frogspawn will do well with moderate flow but not necessarily high flow. Just in case he didn't tell you, euphyllia's do not do very well with other corals. They sting them and they require their own space. Scape accordingly

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Yes, I meant the nem, not the euphyllia. That frogspawn will do well with moderate flow but not necessarily high flow. Just in case he didn't tell you, euphyllia's do not do very well with other corals. They sting them and they require their own space. Scape accordingly
    Thanks for that Ricardo. I really am learning as I go. So thank you for the heads up. He is kinda just hanging on the substrate. I do need to be aware of compatibility. Now that you mention it- the Reef Shop guy's eight year old Flower is off in the front corner away from everything else. That is a good point. Even if he forgets to mention it I can remember to see where he has things placed in his tanks. I can also ask more questions. I now know that the frog spawn can reach pretty far at night and sting things around it which he also did not mention before I glued it in. So much to learn. I have a lot of space left to fill and your questions are really helpful for planning the use of the real estate that remains. So many thanks for the information.

Thanks so much for your observations! I can use all the help I can get. I really want at succeed at this new side of the hobby.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I think you are taking all the right steps and measures to succeed Jenene....Enjoy the journey
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I think you are taking all the right steps and measures to succeed Jenene....Enjoy the journey
    Awe... Thanks so much Joe! Seems like we have been "on the same page" all day! I appreciate your confidence! Stay tuned for the next step, next Thursday!

I tested my water tonight. That is quite the ordeal with all the drops, powders and titrations. I am pretty much right on for most things. A tad low on Mg and Ca but I have been told things will even out over time. He has me dosing small amounts every other day. There should be a water change coming this week. This is a whole new ballgame from a discus change with all the parameters that can be effected. Not really sure how to attempt this. I guess I will have to consult the reef guy on what to expect.

Thanks again for the kind words!
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

It has been a crazy week here getting ready for my daughter's college graduation but here are the results of this Thursday's reef shopping day. So I decide I needed more color this week. I had a long time to browse since they were getting a shipment in and were unloading the truck. The extra time alone gave me a chance to really look in and around and notice stuff I hadn't seen before. I brought in my water parameters they were right on so they said I could choose anything in the store- everything they carry is pretty easy as well.

The first thing I noticed was a gorgeous Orange Tip Torch. It was on hold for someone though. I asked if they were getting anymore in (no) and that one had actually been cut off a display piece. The guy put it on hold so long ago that the owner decided to snip a piece off for me. When i asked if the guy would be mad when he noticed his piece was smaller the owner said he was taking it as "rent." Thought that was pretty funny. It is a tiny little frag though and there was a crack in the base from the cut so he is not going to charge me until he knows it will thrive. So far it is doing well.

The second piece is a single Flame Mushroom. I hear they reproduce slowly but that is fine.

The third piece is a little frag plug of florescent orange Darth Maul Palythoa. Hopefully they will spread nicely over the rocks. These guys are pretty toxic. I will not be bothering them from this point on.

Pictures just don't do these guys justice. The tank is just gorgeous with the blue lights on- everything just glows.

I am now learning the relationships between the Ca, Mg and KH and how to manage dosing and working my way carefully to achieve balance.

Next week I will be looking at another fish or two to draw the clowns out of their corner and maybe a coral that they will most likely host.

Orange Tip Torch1.jpgFlame Mushroom.jpg[ATTACH]109864
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-20-2017 at 07:50 AM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Hoping that all goes well with your daughter's graduation

Bring on those fish photos.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those palys look nice!

Cafepress.com

Those palys look nice!
    Thanks Ricardo! They look amazing in person. Finding marine hard to photograph. Any suggestions? ��

Nice!
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks Ricardo! They look amazing in person. Finding marine hard to photograph. Any suggestions? ��
    I'd say if you are shooting with your phone, buy cheap gel filters you buy on eBay to color correct the white balance. It helps a lot

Cafepress.com

I'd say if you are shooting with your phone, buy cheap gel filters you buy on eBay to color correct the white balance. It helps a lot
    Thanks! I do have a nice Nikon and I did pay attention at Al's photo workshop for fun since I am not that knowledgeable but the they look so much better under blue but you just can't capture it!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Would love a full tank shot and some pics w the lights if you can figure it!

I will see what I can do for ya Dat! Although everything is pretty small right now. It will be fun to compare as things grow though. I will give it a shot. ��

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast