AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The next step...

Default Re: The next step...

I gave it my best shot DatDiscusDude. That is one impossible task for a photo rookie like me. I even had my son try it who actually knows how to use that camera. I can't quite capture the look of the blue lights but this is at least a full tank shot. You will have to look really carefully like an I Spy game to find everything. The clowns were hanging in the back.
    Full tank shot.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Looks good jenene! That frogspawn looks healthy. Even your nem looks good too. Did you get any sand sifting fish yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Looks good jenene! That frogspawn looks healthy. Even your nem looks good too. Did you get any sand sifting fish yet?
    Thanks Devon, the only thing digging in the sand at the moment is the conch. I will hopefully be adding something this week- Thursday or Friday. Hopefully they will have something. I am usually mostly looking at the corals so I am not really sure what they have. It is time for some more fins though!

Okay! So I went a bit crazy this week. Only one fish but it is a good one- A firefish. I know, I heard...these can jump. Hopefully mine will not because there are two fat Ragdoll cats sitting under the tank with mouths wide open. I was also warned it may disappear and not to worry but he didn't tell me where it would go. Lucky for me I was chatting with Lido last night and he told me they bury themselves in the sand. Thanks Casey! (He is doing great by the way!) The elusive fish was back out today. I had no idea it was a goby. It doesn't look like a typical goby. It is really hard to research ahead of time because I never know what he will have in the store that week. I have been trusting the owner to steer me in the right direction and so far it has worked for me.

So here he is, the Firefish. he did his job and coaxed the clowns out of their corner when he rose from his sand bed today.

Fire Fish.jpg

The next creature is a Kryptonite Hammer Coral. Awesome color. Looking good today.

Kryptonite Hammer.jpg

Next up a Watermelon Chalice. It should encrust the rock. It is spectacular in the blue light.

Watermelon Chalice.jpg

I added 2 more cleaners- some Peppermint Shrimp. Making quick work of the rocks.

Peppermint Shrimp.jpg

The last one I can't really post a pic yet because it had kind of a rough move and may not make it. It is a little Hairy Mushroom that hopefully the Clowns will host if it survives. They had a hard time getting it off a container inside the tank and may have damaged it's foot. It didn't look great after it's dip and has not opened back up yet. It has however, really wedged itself into a rock so I tend to think it is still alive and may rebound. Not much too photograph, he is wedged in there pretty tight.

My water parameters look good. Ca is a tad low as well as Mg but I will dose again tomorrow. Balance is getting closer.

The existing corals are looking great. The Orange Tip Torch not only survived but is thriving. The Candy Cane from week one is already showing new branch growth and the nem is getting bigger and well as the Flame mushroom. I really was not expecting to see growth this soon. It is pretty cool. It really adds life to that corner of the house 'cause this is one of the few spots you can't see the discus tank from. Here is a room shot but it makes the tank look tiny- it is really not that small!

Darn! It is sideways and I can't fix it...Mods? sorry...
    I may start to slow down on stocking a bit and take my time adding things now. If I keep going at this pace I won't have my Thursday shopping to look forward to!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jenene; 05-26-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Registered Member

Wow..... how does the water stay in that tank ??
    Zippy

Real Name
    Phil

Daaaaaang!! Don't hurt em girl! You just are steam rollin this marine stuff! So cool! I got my reading cut out for
    Me tonight !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Daaaaaang!! Don't hurt em girl! You just are steam rollin this marine stuff! So cool! I got my reading cut out for
    Me tonight !!!
    Thanks Phil! I hit the ground running with the guys here in this section. They have been a huge help and very encouraging. The tank is only a little over a month old I think. I finally settled on the Cadillac of tanks by Red Sea after buying the most impractical one ever on Craig's list. Just re-sold it a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy my little saga! Not the most exciting read for a Friday night!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Wow..... how does the water stay in that tank ??
    Zippy
    Funny guy... No wonder I am always flooding the house.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Coming along nicely Jenene. That firefish looks really nice. Are you planning to get more of them?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    Coming along nicely Jenene. That firefish looks really nice. Are you planning to get more of them?
    Thanks Joe! More Firefish or just more fish in general?

Apparently the Firefish exist in groups in the wild but in captivity are aggressive toward each other unless paired but otherwise an extremely peaceful fish. So that guy will be the only one of those. I will need to do some research on other fish that will be compatible in the smaller size tank and reef safe. I am hoping to find a Royal Gramma and a Plectranthias. A watchman Goby and a Pistol Shrimp pair would be cool too...love the symbiotic relationship with those.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Thanks Joe! More Firefish or just more fish in general?

Apparently the Firefish exist in groups in the wild but in captivity are aggressive toward each other unless paired but otherwise an extremely peaceful fish. So that guy will be the only one of those. I will need to do some research on other fish that will be compatible in the smaller size tank and reef safe. I am hoping to find a Royal Gramma and a Plectranthias. A watchman Goby and a Pistol Shrimp pair would be cool too...love the symbiotic relationship with those.
    I was referring to more Firefish, but you have answered my question.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

It's THURSDAY!!!! I am not sure how much longer I can keep this weekly reef shopping day up. I spend more on this stuff than I do on groceries.

So things were a a bit different this week. I did something I told myself I would not do. I ordered online. Shhhh...don't tell my reef guy. He must have missed me today. I was kind of surprised I didn't get a text!

Anyway, I ordered from Vivid Aquariums. They did an entire series of videos on my Red Sea Reefer tank. They had the same one and set it up from start to finish. To be honest I can't even remember how I found that they had an online store. But boy- they have some nice stuff. I was kind of exhausting the reef shop. He hadn't gotten anything new in for awhile. The shipment came today and I happen to have the day off so it worked out great. I made sure everything was reef safe and easy care. Okay, enough talk. Here is what was in the box. 1) A Blue Tuxedo Urchin. Way cool. He will clean up the algae for me at night. Max size will be 3". I almost ordered a Long Spine until I saw it can get to be 10". Actually I did order it and had to ask them to switch it for me. They were very kind and did not charge me the price difference either. I was not sure how a spiky Urchin would be with my next purchase but the guys assured me it would be fine. 2) Bubble Coral! I have always wanted one of these. A member posted one of his tank when I was thinking about starting one and I was enthralled. They look so delicate but are easy care. 3) Alien Brain Coral. This was supposed to be a 1" frag and they sent me a huge piece. It is like 4" x 2". This one sends out some stingers at night so he has his very own rock. Last but not least my first sps. 4) Blue Green Tenuis Acropora. This one will keep me on my toes. I have been keeping a close eye on my parameters and it fits right in there so this is my test. I hope I get at least a B+.

So...I am getting to the point of having to slow down. Need to save some space for future must haves... Here are some pics. The last one shows a dueling clean up crew with the surviving Hairy Mushroom. I thought it had died and just dissolved from the reef guy ripping him off a surface, it was in really bad shape but I found it under a rock today and put him back on his pedestal where he has latched on this time and seems a bit happier.

Blue Tux Urchin.jpgBubble Coral.jpgAlien Brain.jpgAcropora.jpgDualing clean up crew.jpg
    Last edited by Jenene; 06-01-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Wow really cool stuff
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Thanks Ryan. They are a pretty weird crew. One interesting thing...well actually 2 interesting things about that urchin. It moves really fast. One minute he is on the sand and the next he is way up on the top of the rocks. He is supposed to be nocturnal but must be jet lagged because he has been up all day. Also they are known to pick up loose stuff in the tank and wear it as kind of a disguise like a loose mushroom or other small adornments. It says when they do that they are happy. Who knew?

Uh oh...I have completely lost my mind. I just can't stop. I found yet another reef shop 10 minutes away that does mainly online sales and they got some gorgeous Rock Nems in. They were taking pre-orders and I had no idea they had actually come in already but happened to go in for the first time today. The great thing about being local is you get to choose the one you want. If you order online they choose for you. Soooooooo. yeah. The guy said is it the same thing as the one that I have, but these are crazy looking. You can actually put them in groups but for now he sits opposite the other one. I really need to stop...at least for this week.

Rock Anemone.jpgRock nem.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast