ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Moving from QT to Display Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Moving from QT to Display Tank

Ok.... here is the BLUF (bottom line up front).... the only difference between my QT and Display Tank is the pH of the water..... QT @7.7 DT@7.20. Can I net the QT occupants and put them in the DT? If no.... what is recommended?

Details

I purchased 4 - 3.5 inch juveniles to add to my display tank. They have been in my QT for 6 weeks and have been introduced to a hero for the last 2. All is well and it is time to move everybody to the display tank.... DT is planted with CO2 injection while QT is bare bottom. Water comes from same source for both tanks....

The temp is 2 degrees higher in the QT, but that can be easily addressed. The pH is my concern. The QT pH is 7.7 and DT pH is 7.20 as measured with my Milwaukee meeter. The levels are constant over time. Source water pH is 7.7 and is used for water changes on all tanks. I do twice weekly water changes on the DT at 30% and the pH will rise to 7.4 after change settling back to 7.2 as CO2 is absorbed through injection.

Can I simply net and drop the QT occupants into the DT with out harming them?

If the recommendation is no, what is the suggested process?

Thanks

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Moving from QT to Display Tank

Do not simply net and drop the discus Mark . They might get severely shocked by the sudden PH drop and the different water parameters , including Co2 injection in your display tank.
    I would turn off the Co2 injection and change + 70% water one day prior the transfer . after the transfer you can turn on and gradually raise your Co2 levels again .