AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to prevent fry dying ....

Registered Member Md. Shafiqual Alam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Shibly

Default Re: Unable to prevent fry dying ....

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    either way I believe the point nc0gnet0 is trying to point out is that by only doing the 30% 4 times a day it may be still leaving a huge amount of possible protozoan in the water column. By upping the amount of changes to 90% twice a day it will accomplish 2 things a substantial reduction in both protozoan and water quality issues.

Second point my second language is not Spanish but i assure you I would want to know when I am using the wrong context or grammar as in the long run it will help me to communicate better with the folks I am trying to communicate with.
    Dear pitdogg2 ,

I did not says it is 30% 4 times a day. It is 100% wc that i mentioned clearly which has been ensured 3hrs after each feeding to overcome this issue. It is not possible for me to upping wc than what i m doing at this moment, as per your suggestion I may reduce wc to 90% each time. Feeling hopeless without getting specific direction. Any medicine treatment suggestion ?

Second point, I do not mind when I am wrong and I like do appreciate ..

Take care.

--
    Shibly
    Kind Regards,
    Alam Md. Shafiqual (Shibly)

Real Name
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    +1 Thank you Kenny well said.

Hopefully the OP can take the information he needs to help his fish and forgive the rest.
    Dear Jenene,

Thanks a lot. No worry, I do not mind, just feeling nostalgic (school time ). In my experience in SD everybody is doing their best to support others. Just wish me luck to find a direction that fits for me.

Take Care.

-
    Shibly
    Kind Regards,

Real Name
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    A couple of things. First off, I was just bringing up the fact you were using the term "fries" wrong. Maybe if I had said "The plural of fry, is fry Fries is something you get with your hamburger. Certain people would not get their ******* all in a bunch. There was no intent to come across condescending, it just so happened I was in a hurry at the time.

Your statement " Feeding BBS 4 times a day and WC after 3hrs of feeding. " says (to me) you are doing a water change four times a day. Was this your intent? When coupled with "everyday 100%+ ", it genuinely confused me. Are you saying you do 4 water changes of 100% a day? if so, more water changes won't help.

As to what to do for the fry? Me, personally I would cull them. I do not believe in medicating fry at that age. It can stunt their development, or cause long term damage to their internal organs.

You feed 4 x a day. Nothing wrong with that, but how much you feed is the key. Can answer that question? How often do you clean your filters? Do you use sponge filters or are you on a central system.

-Rick
    Dear Rick,

Thank you for your quick response. I understand what you meant and believe we are like a family in SD. So please feel free. Usually I do wc 80% everyday two times. but this time when fry start dying since last few month, finding no alternative I had been doing the max possible wc (4 times a day) since day b4 yesterday. Intention was to give them as much as fresh water to recover if feel sick. When no improve, from last three days not giving food as parents are there and no wc. just give them "3rd Gen yellow powder medicine" for three days and will start change 50% each day from 4th day.

I do feed bbs 4 x a day. Each time 1/2 salt spoon for a 20G tank having around 50~100 fry. I do not use any filter inside tank. As do huge WC, many sponge filters & heater are kept inside storage tanks for water filtration. My water storage capacity is 3 times more than my current requirement. So have enough time to be aged and filtration IMO. But I do clean all surface inside tank once each day morning.

FYI, I have been facing the issues in my new premises where shifted at jan 2017. Here natural water is little hard 280ppm & ph8.5. Other than fry, fishes (3in~6in) are ok since shifting. except pairs, all are kept in natural water (aged with basic iron filtration with 3 stage housing by PP & carbon). only pairs and babies are kept in RO water (40~60ppm). Getting good amount of fry from multiple pair but they are frequently dying after a certain time.

In my previous location fry were ok with RO water. What may change in water in new premises when both are from RO system!

-
    Shibly
    Kind Regards,

Real Name
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I will respectfully disagree. I see incorrect grammar all of the time here by members who's first language is obviously not English, many of which are very frequent and active members. I've yet to see grammar or spelling ever be brought into question. I would go as far as to say if they were corrected everytime they posted they probably would not appreciate it and potentially be offended. I know English as a second language people and they are often hesitant to use a second language for this very reason.

This is a fish forum not a Rosetta stone help group

Dear Ryan925,

You are right. But I will be embarrassed if it continue. Can you please do me favor by sharing a smile face...

--
    Shibly
    Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Md. Shafiqual Alam View Post
    Dear Ryan925,

You are right. But I will be embarrassed if it continue. Can you please do me favor by sharing a smile face...

--
    Shibly
    Of course. I wish you the best in your breeding endeavor. I'm sure you will be able to receive the necessary advice here to turn your situation around
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Rick

I do feed bbs 4 x a day. Each time 1/2 salt spoon for a 20G tank having around 50~100 fry. I do not use any filter inside tank. As do huge WC, many sponge filters & heater are kept inside storage tanks for water filtration. My water storage capacity is 3 times more than my current requirement. So have enough time to be aged and filtration IMO. But I do clean all surface inside tank once each day morning.
    When you say you feed 1/2 salt spoon, do you mean 1/2 teaspoon of brine eggs that have been hatched, or do you mean 1/2 spoon of hatched brine shrimp?

Are you medicating fry right now, and have ceased doing water changes?

Once fry have hatched, there is no need for RO water, they will actually grow faster and more healthy in normal water.

-Rick
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

How to treat Oodinium ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    How to treat Oodinium ?
    Formaldehyde 37 per cent.

Cliff

Real Name
    Shibly

Sorry for later response due to heavy work load last few days.
    1/2 salt spoon of brine eggs that have been hatched after 23~36hrs. Now fry are ready to shift to normal water and now 70% normal water has been mixing. Last medication was 3 days treatment with yellow powder during last post. Now no medication and what i did is dropped the feeding amount to half (two times/day). Looks better till now. However I will keep continue the update about the improvement.

Few of my juv is found suffering by Whirling Disease. What might be the proper treatment and caution to avoid this Whirling Disease ?

Take care.

-
    Shibly

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    When you say you feed 1/2 salt spoon, do you mean 1/2 teaspoon of brine eggs that have been hatched, or do you mean 1/2 spoon of hatched brine shrimp?

Are you medicating fry right now, and have ceased doing water changes?

Once fry have hatched, there is no need for RO water, they will actually grow faster and more healthy in normal water.

-Rick
    Kind Regards,

Registered Member

Cliff may be right. At least the treatment for Oodinium, Acriflavine might work.

Al Light

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Md. Shafiqual Alam View Post
    Sorry for later response due to heavy work load last few days.
    1/2 salt spoon of brine eggs that have been hatched after 23~36hrs. Now fry are ready to shift to normal water and now 70% normal water has been mixing. Last medication was 3 days treatment with yellow powder during last post. Now no medication and what i did is dropped the feeding amount to half (two times/day). Looks better till now. However I will keep continue the update about the improvement.

Few of my juv is found suffering by Whirling Disease. What might be the proper treatment and caution to avoid this Whirling Disease ?

Take care.

-
    Shibly
    You really shouldn't be treating fry of that age with any medications in my opinion. As for feedings, it's not the frequency you should be changing, rather the mount fed at each feeding. I'm not quite sure what a "salt" spoon is, but if is the same as a teaspoon, that's enough for a whole day, for your amount of fry.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think at this point I would plan on cull all affected fry. If you can get some to a lab that would be your best bet. It should be with live specimens.

Rarely do they grow well when they hit a problem at a young age and even more rare is when they thrive after medicating. The pairs will spawn again shortly...before they do set up a clean tank with just airline and heaters. Take your affected pair and give a salt dip to them until they roll over. ... remove the pair to the clean new tank. Treat with methylene blue or acrflavin for 24 hours.. follow with full water change. Add new filter sponges. If this problem is an external parasite issue...the above should take care of most parasites. You can follow up with formalin if you want as well....your call.

I dont think it sounds like an external parasite issue though... honestly with the volume of water being changed daily its not likely imo. I think its more likely a bacterial problem or overfeeding the fry.

A lab should be able to identify any pathogens and advise you of an appropriate and availible medication in your country if you can find one. I offer the treatment above as as a general..."this is a good thing to try for external issues" obviously its a best guess on my part.

Good luck,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Shibly

Thank you brewmaster15. I am glad to be advised by the Administrator of this awesome forum. You nicely summarize everything. I believe I did welcome the said issue by overfeeding the fry. Now, with new batches I am taking care the feeding volume and just dropped to half. So far till now all the five new batches (1 month age) are looking fine.

Thanks once again for wishing me luck & for the suggestion of salt bath and MB/acrflavin treatment to get rid of external parasite issue. As advised I will find a lab soon. .

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I think at this point I would plan on cull all affected fry. If you can get some to a lab that would be your best bet. It should be with live specimens.

Rarely do they grow well when they hit a problem at a young age and even more rare is when they thrive after medicating. The pairs will spawn again shortly...before they do set up a clean tank with just airline and heaters. Take your affected pair and give a salt dip to them until they roll over. ... remove the pair to the clean new tank. Treat with methylene blue or acrflavin for 24 hours.. follow with full water change. Add new filter sponges. If this problem is an external parasite issue...the above should take care of most parasites. You can follow up with formalin if you want as well....your call.

I dont think it sounds like an external parasite issue though... honestly with the volume of water being changed daily its not likely imo. I think its more likely a bacterial problem or overfeeding the fry.

A lab should be able to identify any pathogens and advise you of an appropriate and availible medication in your country if you can find one. I offer the treatment above as as a general..."this is a good thing to try for external issues" obviously its a best guess on my part.

Good luck,
    Al
    Kind Regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12