AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help sump pump 101

Default help sump pump 101

Greetings fellow discus friends,
    Recently my tank leaked, so I am starting from scratch. If I want to buy a sump pump instead of the hang over kind, then where do you recommend that I buy the full system? I never set one up, so it needs to come with directions.
    Be kind.

Default Re: help sump pump 101

Can you elaborate more on your question? Are you asking about setting up a new tank with a sump for filtration?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Can you elaborate more on your question? Are you asking about setting up a new tank with a sump for filtration?
    Oh Kimberly- the right guy found you to help you with this!

Ryan the Jebao pump you suggested is amazing on the reef- dead quiet and perfect at half power to not overflow the overflow box. Thank you!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Oh Kimberly- the right guy found you to help you with this!

Ryan the Jebao pump you suggested is amazing on the reef- dead quiet and perfect at half power to not overflow the overflow box. Thank you!
    Lol I'm no expert but glad I could help

Real Name
    Jason

I think the Jebao is a cheap Chinese version of the Vectra M1. I have the M1 and it's really good, very quiet, and likewise set at less than 1/2 capacity. Haven't tried the cheaper KOs so I can't make a comparison. But the silence was worth the money for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JBurgo View Post
    I think the Jebao is a cheap Chinese version of the Vectra M1. I have the M1 and it's really good, very quiet, and likewise set at less than 1/2 capacity. Haven't tried the cheaper KOs so I can't make a comparison. But the silence was worth the money for me.
    It was noisy the first day while it broke in. Now it is absolutely dead silent and perfect at 1/2 power. Very sturdy and perfect for my sump.

Real Name
    Eric

You sure that Ecotech Vectra M1 doesn't say "Made in China"? I am pretty sure it is made in ShenZhen.

The jebao is silent. Dear silent and that is while test running my sump before even putting it in a cabinet.

How can you knock the jebao as junk and then say you have no experience with it?
    Last edited by Ryan925; 04-25-2017 at 09:31 AM.

[QUOTE=Clawhammer;1260303]You sure that Ecotech Vectra M1 doesn't say "Made in China"? I am pretty sure it is made in ShenZhen.[/QUOT
    Last edited by Ryan925; 04-25-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Everyone, let's not lose sight of the real issue here. A fellow member needs help.

OP, are you looking for suggestions on an overflow as well as a sump setup or just one or the other?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    Recently my tank leaked, so I am starting from scratch. If I want to buy a sump pump instead of the hang over kind, then where do you recommend that I buy the full system? I never set one up, so it needs to come with directions.
    I got my full system (tank + sump, lights, stand, hood) from fishtanksdirect.com to be sure everything would work together. Look for the 'Deluxe' systems. The directions were limited but I put it together myself no problem.

Real Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    You sure that Ecotech Vectra M1 doesn't say "Made in China"? I am pretty sure it is made in ShenZhen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    The jebao is silent. Dear silent and that is while test running my sump before even putting it in a cabinet.

How can you knock the jebao as junk and then say you have no experience with it?
    Don't read into comments things that aren't there. Where did I say it's junk? I explicitly said I hadn't used the Jebao and couldn't make a comparison. If you can make the comparison to the M1, I for one, certainly would appreciate to hear it (no sarcasm). I can comment on the Vectra. I bought the M1 because, when spending the money, I didn't want to risk the cheaper copy possibly not being as silent, when you can't hear them running personally. I'm happy to hear there's a cheaper option that's silent too. I don't have any commercial or emotional interest in either product.

Almost everything's made in China. Reputable products and KOs in most products are both made in China. I think the OP should be able to know all options with honest opinions, that say what experience they have openly.

Why flame?

+1 Ricardo we need to know more information, sounds like she wants a weir. In that case she should search `Bean Animal` and `Herbie Method`. I run the Herbie method and can attest to it's silence.

Real Name
    Eric

Jason, I wasn't flaming at all. I procure products in China for a living in the hardware industry and know first hand that the same factories that make the cheap Chinese versions of these products are actually the same factories that are contracted to make the name brand versions. Go to a trade show in Shanghai and you will see what I am talking about.

My point was that it makes little sense in my experience to pay 4 times more for a product that was likely made in the same factory, using the same components as the cheaper versions. I can attest to the silence of the Jebao DCT, and they just came out with a new, quieter version, the DCP.

I think the herbie is just as silent as the bean animal, but bean animal is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    Kimberly, I wish I could advise you on the sump. I have an Eshopps and wish I would have known more before I bought it. It is really geared toward reef and very hard to clean.

My best advice would be if you do not want to build your own to go to a specialty aquarium store or reef shop. My reef shop has acrylic sumps that are very open and are really easy to set up with a discus tank. Open areas where you can put lots of media at a vertical angle instead of horizontal is what I have found to be the easiest to maintain.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

My advise to you if you are not drilling your tank, go with an LifeReef pre filter from LifeReef.com. You can contact Jeff there and tell him what you need for your discus tank. I had my system running for the last three yrs. without a hitch. Highly recommend, the cost is worth not having to worry about an flood period. As far an sump goes, buy an empty aquarium that will fit under your stand and use your K-1 and poret foam. No baffles required. Check out my sump: https://youtu.be/viNS76gbDSk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast