AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help sump pump 101

Default Re: help sump pump 101

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Can you elaborate more on your question? Are you asking about setting up a new tank with a sump for filtration?
    Yes, sorry it took me so long to answer. It has been a tragedy over here. I am sorry my fish are going through all this, but it was out of my control. the tank leaked, so I want to replace it with a sump and a tank/stand that can fit a sump under it.
    Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Everyone, let's not lose sight of the real issue here. A fellow member needs help.

OP, are you looking for suggestions on an overflow as well as a sump setup or just one or the other?
    I am really dumb about this topic.

I want a filtration system that is the best. i want something that I can have options with in the future. I found an overflow. The guy at the store explained it to me. I am pretty sure that it will be great for discus right?
    Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post

I want a filtration system that is the best. i want something that I can have options with in the future. I found an overflow. The guy at the store explained it to me. I am pretty sure that it will be great for discus right?
    Since you are starting from scratch I would recommend going with a tank that already has an internal overflow. That's what I would do anyway.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Ricardo

Have you heard of the ghost overflow? The company that makes them sends a template of where to drill if your up to it

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Since you are starting from scratch I would recommend going with a tank that already has an internal overflow. That's what I would do anyway.
    Yay! I did that. Thanks. Why by the way?
    Be kind.

Yay! I did that. Thanks. Why by the way?
    One less item to purchase, plumb and tune. Also one less thing to worry about.

I've had my tank for a year and decided to go with a sump so I have no choice but to use an external overflow. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go with a drilled tank from the start

One less item to purchase, plumb and tune. Also one less thing to worry about.

I've had my tank for a year and decided to go with a sump so I have no choice but to use an external overflow. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go with a drilled tank from the start
    Thanks! I am still grieving the passing of my Blue Diamond. I don't get attached, but I still grieve the loss of anything living that passes away. He was there with me through so much and he brought peace. So yea the next tank will be in memory of him.

I am told that I will have 2 bulk heads, a stand pipe, and 2 holes in the bottom of the tank pre drilled. Any suggestions on easy or hard plumbing methods? I heard there is a flexible hose procedure or a PVC method. Also any suggestions on sump and return? I will be looking for ideas on the best method for me and I prefer to do it myself...
    Be kind.

Thanks! I am still grieving the passing of my Blue Diamond. I don't get attached, but I still grieve the loss of anything living that passes away. He was there with me through so much and he brought peace. So yea the next tank will be in memory of him.

I am told that I will have 2 bulk heads, a stand pipe, and 2 holes in the bottom of the tank pre drilled. Any suggestions on easy or hard plumbing methods? I heard there is a flexible hose procedure or a PVC method. Also any suggestions on sump and return? I will be looking for ideas on the best method for me and I prefer to do it myself...
    If you have two holes I would recommend the herbie overflow style. You can Google the herbie method and you will find very detailed instructions on how to set it up. Pretty simple really. One stand pipe will be your full siphon the other will be your emergency.

Actually you are going rimless...so if you don't want to see your return coming over the top of the back rim you would need to use one of those two holes for your return. That would give you only a single hole for the drain and the herbie method would not work.

I did tons of reading on sump setups. A lot of what you find online is geared towards salt so keep that in mind. The nice thing about a sump is that the options for customization are endless. My sump will be using submerged bio media as well as a wet/dry chamber but I went a little overboard by design lol. Have later plans for the sump....

I believe one if the earlier posts was a good suggestion. You can keep it very simple and use the poret foam as your baffles which will also act as mechanical filtration. Then you can load your main bio chamber with lots if bagged media. For a return pump dc pumps are the best option. Energy efficient and adjustable to the amount of flow you need. Just be sure you size the pump properly to turnover requirements for the tank and flow rate of what your overflow can handle along with making sure you aren't blowing your discus all over your tank with too much force

And yes you can use flexible pvc to make things a little easier on yourself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12