ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filtration Question from Newbie to Discus Hobby

Registered Member

Default Filtration Question from Newbie to Discus Hobby

After months of research, I've ordered 6 discus for my 55 gallon tank. The tank is well cycled, and it has pool filter sand, a few small potted plants, and a few cories and rummynose tetras that are thriving. The filter I'm using is a Fluval 406.

What I'm looking to fire out is the following:

1) Should I add a prefilter sponge to the intake? If so, can anyone recommend a specific sponge that will work best for the 406?

2) Is the 406 sufficient for 6 discus in a 55 gallon tank?

3) Related to question two: I'd prefer to rely solely on the 406, but that's mainly for aesthetic reasons. Would it be worthwhile to add a sponge filter? If so, what size sponge filter and pump would be best to pair with the 406?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Filtration Question from Newbie to Discus Hobby

Hey Mark and welcome! Congrats on the big purchase, exciting stuff! Care to share what type of discus you ordered and what size and who from?

You should 10000000% add a pre-filter. It will make a world of a difference and makes filter maintenance much easier. Anything such as these from amazon will work... https://www.amazon.com/Leyouyou520-P...rfilter+intake

You could also make your own easily. Just make sure they get good water flow through them.

How much water do you plan to change and again, how big are the fish? I think those 2 questions will be the best way to answer your second question. I have always been a fan of a sponge filter. They aren't sexy, but can be hidden rather easy if you get crafty with some wood or plants. They are just the ol reliable of the hobby for me. So cheap, easy to use, clean and just a great filter alone or an amazing compliment. I say add one and hide it... I would grab a hydro iv or v and stash it in a corner. Always spend a bit more on a pump and get a nice quiet one. I have seen a few people post a cheap pump from amazon on here, the name escapes me but I am sure someone will chime in with it.

Sounds like you need to get your amazon cart fired up for those fish arrivals!

Welcome Mark. I would say that a 406 would be plenty of filtration for your 55 of course taking into account proper stocking levels and routine maintenance.

I would 100% recommend a pre filter. It will greatly help in the maintenance of your canister. I have an eheim canister and use an eheim pre filter. I'm not sure that it will fit the 406 but if the intake tube is standard size I imagine it would. I see many people here using the 406 so I'm sure they can add to that

I personally am not a fan of the look of sponge filters in a display tank but to each their own. I think if you keep up on your maintenance and stock the tank appropriately the canister alone is sufficient.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Very helpful replies--and much appreciated!

(I ordered a variety of Stendkers--BD, Santarem, Brilliant, Red Turq, Marlboro--from Discus Hans in the 3+ inch size.)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Nice purchase. At that size you are going to want to feed heavy and go extra heavy on the WC side. You are getting them at a crucial stage and the better foods and better quality water the better they will grow!

Registered Member

Probably a foolish question, but one I'm thinking about:

I just installed the prefilter on the 406 intake. Since this will prevent much of the detritus from reaching the canister, will it also have the effect of starving some of the beneficial bacteria in the canister, since the colony there has presumably grown in relation to the amount of matter reaching the canister through the more permeable stock grill on the fluval? Is this something to be concerned about?

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

The prefilter will absolutely not be a problem with beneficial bacteria reaching the canister, there will still be plenty of crap getting through.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

its my understanding BB feed on the ammonia/nitrite in the water, not on the detritus itself. i think the gunk build up actually sort of "smothers" BB because it covers the porus surface area of the media where the BB are trying to colonize. i could be wrong, but thats my take on BB, so i'd say a pre-filter would actually enhance BB growth/health

Real Name
    Eric

You can get away with a single 406, but the discus would benefit from the addition of a sponge filter. The standard guidance is to turn over the tank 10x an hour, and at 383gph (more likely 200gph in reality after adding media) a little more filtration wouldn't hurt, especially considering the maxed our bioload of your tank (6 discus, sand/plants, tankmates all in a 55 gallon).