ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Question

Registered Member

Default Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Question

I'm new to keeping discus and have a question about my Finnex Planted+ 24/7. The light's 24/7 mode, to my surprise, gives off more light throughout the night than I expected would be the case. (There are only a few hours where the light is a very dim blue.) I really like the 24/7 mode, but am wondering whether this level of light at night will stress the fish.

Does anyone with experience using this light (or something similar) with Discus have any insight to offer?

Registered Member

Default Re: Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Question

I own one, used it on 24/7 mode for like two days I also did not like the amount of light at night because it never went completely dark. I ended up setting a custom color in the memory and using a regular timer, I feel that the light is good but the 24/7 thing is just a gimmick.

Real Name
    Ryan

Yes the 24/7 aspect is just a gimmick. If used constantly it will produce a ton of algae.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies--much appreciated. My tank is only moderately planted, and the plants are in pots with root tabs. Because I'm not at home most of the morning and afternoon, I'd like to have the light on into the evening. On my other tank (no discus), I simply run the light for four hours before noon, and then turn it off for much of the afternoon, and then another 6-7 hours in the evening/night. It has worked great for the fish and plants and that tank. Would a similar regime work for discus? (I get that it all depends on XYZ--I'm just trying to make sure that having the break in the middle of the day would be alright.)

Also: there is not any way to set the Planted+ to switch automatically between two modes, is there? (Relatively bright in day, then moonlight at night)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMark View Post
    Thanks for the replies--much appreciated. My tank is only moderately planted, and the plants are in pots with root tabs. Because I'm not at home most of the morning and afternoon, I'd like to have the light on into the evening. On my other tank (no discus), I simply run the light for four hours before noon, and then turn it off for much of the afternoon, and then another 6-7 hours in the evening/night. It has worked great for the fish and plants and that tank. Would a similar regime work for discus? (I get that it all depends on XYZ--I'm just trying to make sure that having the break in the middle of the day would be alright.)

Also: there is not any way to set the Planted+ to switch automatically between two modes, is there? (Relatively bright in day, then moonlight at night)
    I also have the 24/7. Was great when I had a lot of plants. I actually like the 24/7 effect but once removing my plants it was way too much light.

What I started doing was running a custom color during the day then switching to blue at night. I got a bit tired of having to switch it so I bought a blue led strip and attached it to the 24/7 fixture.

I now run the 24/7 on a timer. The downside is when the fixture powers off then back on it will resume 24/7 mode and not your custom color. What I did was set the 24/7 mode to opposite time schedule so that 9am is actually the 9 pm setting that way the highest part of the photo period is while the light is off. I also have a finnex stingray that is on during the day as well.

This really isn't the best use for this light. For a moderate to heabily.planted tank it's great but lack of the options for customization is limiting. I have the current usa satellite pro plus on my community tank and it's a far better light. Lesson learned
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of picking up a blue led strip for night use, as you have done. Which strip are you using--and how did you attach it to the Finnex?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusMark View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of picking up a blue led strip for night use, as you have done. Which strip are you using--and how did you attach it to the Finnex?
    Hey Mark here is what I used. I just cut to length and used the adhesive backing. You also need to get the power supply with it. Super easy just 2 wires. I actually leave the blue strip on all the time then run my stingray and the 24/7 on wemo switches

MEILI LED Light Strip SMD 3528 16.4 Ft 5 Meter Waterproof 300 LEDs 12V Flexible Rope Light (No Power Supply), Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VDNAM74..._bW8t2U8VNbwcf
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Great idea.

With this light, not the new se version, you can set on timer to go off, let's say at midnight then come on again at six am
    It will start 24 hour cycle again, but you will have 6 hours of dark.

The new 24/7 SE has the reds from the regular planted plus and goes all the way off from 1 to 5 am. I love mine and have great growth in 24/7 mode.