ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: South Carolina State House

Real Name
    Matt

Default South Carolina State House

State House of SC. Lemme know what you think about this edit. View as seen from work, need to go take some closer shots sometime.

SC State House by Matt, on Flickr

And some flags for fun
    SC State Flag by Matt, on Flickr
    American Underneath by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Default Re: South Carolina State House

Matt, I like the state house shot. What I like about it is the sun flare to the side but you managed to keep the tower well illuminated to the other side.

Do they light that tower at night?

Flags are cool too. Would love the second flag shot with a bit more of the Us flag showing..not much more..just a tad. Its a cool subject.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Al, I must admit the first shot is a bit faked though lol. It's great how much we can edit photos today, could go to far though I suppose. It was actually a very dull grey and rainy day, as soon as I stepped back inside the bottom started falling out. Been wanting to try the sunset effect in PS and this was a good shot for it IMO. So it's a fake sun (that's actually Northeast at about 5pm) and I just masked the tower to keep it more visible. It was a decent (but boring) high key type of shot against a grey to bright sky, but I think it's a better shot now. Kind of like I view B&W, may not be the best photo in color but you flip it to B&W and it's incredible. Speaking of, this photo might actually look good in B&W. Not trying to actively deceive anyone here, just thought it looks better like this. I can probably post the original if anyone is interested so everyone can see what photo editing can do to your photos and why you need to be careful with how much you do.

And yes, to my knowledge it's lit at night from the lower roofs. Next time I'm around there at night I'll check though, as I usually don't pay much attention.

The flags are tough to get a shot of, the US flag is not in the best position. I did get some with more of it showing, I'll have to go back and see exactly what. I titled it American Underneath and liked the state flag curling up a bit as sort of a statement with all of the strife happening around the world and even in this country that no matter what city or state we live in currently, where we were born, what we look like or how we speak, we are all Americans in this country at the core and behind all of the layers so we should look out for our fellow man. More of a simple thought I had when I took the photo as sadly the message will fall on the majority of deaf ears.
    -Matt

Matt, I had a feeling the state house was a bit photoshopped....but the effect is good there

Good message on the flags...I wish it was not needed. ...but agree with you there.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images