AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: First Discus, First Time Homemade Food - HA! Looking for feedback

Default First Discus, First Time Homemade Food - HA! Looking for feedback

Hi!

Looking for feedback on my recipe I kinda put together reading through many others. I do not think I have a store with beef heart around here (at least I have never seen it) so I was looking at ground turkey since you can get it 99% lean.

I wussed out and cooked it (spread it out in a pan and added water to not let it brown and just heat it through, then drained it) way to weird about poultry to have raw turkey around and in my water :P

Ingredients:
    8oz 'braised' (lol) 99% lean ground turkey
    8oz raw shrimp
    8oz raw cod filet (skinned, wild, only the best lol)
    3oz frozen peas
    2oz frozen spinish
    small handful of Cobalt Spirilina flake
    big handful of Cobalt discus flake
    1oz Al's blackworm/beef heart pellets (crushed)
    Maybe..a tablesppon of whole grain oat flour
    ~1.5 caps of Seachem GarlicGaurd

Processed this all in a food processor (meat separate from veg, then combined) into not quite a paste, a chunky paste, very small chunks tho, I only have 3" discus

They have snubbed basically everything (got them last Friday from Hans) except frozen bloodworms and they were a little wary of the chunk I tossed in at first (just threw in right after making it not frozen) but once one pecked at it they attacked it. I put way to much in so I pulled out the chunk that was still left after a few minutes (some were still eating ).

It made a bit of a mess but much better than I expected actually! It is STICKY, flattened it out in parchment paper to freeze...

Anyways, would love to hear thoughts on the recipe and methods of combining!!!

Thanks!

---I am officially hooked on discus
    Last edited by Bizarro252; 04-24-2017 at 09:41 PM.

Real Name
    Jason

Default Re: First Discus, First Time Homemade Food - HA! Looking for feedback

I use the recipe from Joey (DIY King), fish love it, brings out their colour, some gelatin helps with the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by JBurgo View Post
    I use the recipe from Joey (DIY King), fish love it, brings out their colour, some gelatin helps with the mess.
    Thanks, I have been meaning to watch his video, not sure why I didnt before I took this adventure... Will get on that! Thanks.

Real Name
    Jason

Another thing I saw a member here do is freeze the beef heart and then grate it in a food processor. I've done that too with great success. The pieces turn out to be a good size for the fish and not as messy.