AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Wild Pair & Bullying

Registered Member

Default Wild Pair & Bullying

Hi all,

Ive had my 5 blue/brown wilds for about 4 days now. They are all between 6 and 7 inches. They are in a 72 gal bowfront, no other tankmates. Water is perfect.

Within the first couple of hours I could already tell that there was a dominant pair that was starting to claim one side of the tank. They are now fiercely defending that part of the tank, especially during feeding. I spread the food out the best I can but the pair take turns herding the other 3 right into a corner on the other side while the other one feeds. The others do eat abit here and there whenever they get a chance but not nearly as much as the pair do.

I know there are alot of threads about this, just seeing if I can get any help and info. Is this normal? Should I separate them out or put a divider in the tank? I dont really see how adding more will help?

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Default Re: Wild Pair & Bullying

Welcome Boerkie and congrats on the purchase of your new wilds! Are they true wild discus? Any idea the collection point or any further info? They sound to be a very big size!

My initial reaction would be to just keep the water clean and feed as spread out as you can. With new fish, especially a new group in general, in a new environment, I think they need their own time to sort things out and get settled. The stronger 2 could have made the trip better and feel better therefor tossing their weight around a bit to the weaker ones. I always hear that true wilds can be very difficult to breed, especially together. People have had much success mixing a wild and a domestic but 2 wilds always seems to be a tough task in an aquarium. To have 2 pair off and be doing their thang so quick seems off, but hey, what do I know, you may have gotten very lucky...!!!

You need to ask yourself a few questions... Do you want to breed? Do you want a separated tank?

Is the bullying bad, or some nudging and chasing?

I would start by dispersing the food all over as best you can, or get cubes and press them along the wall so that the bully cant eat and fight at the same time. You do have the option to separate them into a smaller tank or use some egg crate and keep them in the same tank.

Do you have the option or ability to get more form the same exact place or source?

Registered Member

As far as I know they are true wilds, no idea on the collection point unfortunately.

I have no plans on breeding as of yet, but I do have 2 empty 30gal tanks for quarantine/hospital tanks or breeding one day.

I added a youtube video, hopefully it helps.

https://youtu.be/KPRoRwG3VeU

Registered Member

Registered Member

The photos were taken an hour or two after adding them to the tank. I did put another piece of large driftwood in the tank next to the tree once the bullying started, there was a very small piece there before. It did help and gave them abit more room.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Thanks for all the info and great pics! Very nice fish and they look very true wild to me. How do things seem today?

You went ahead and did something I forgot to suggest initially and added some covering. Plans to add anymore?

I am still likely to think they just need time to adjust and set some order.

They look like nice fish and if you could add a few more, given your tank size, adding 2-3 could really help and fill out the group. That being said, now you run a risk of quarantine and cross contam and all that fun...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

After Watching the video, I really see nothing to be concerned about. Just looks like some hungry cichlids tusslin and happy for some grub to me!

The two spent more time on one another than the other 3..

If you take your food and get it in a cup w some tank water and then spread it along the length of the tank like a hail effect they will all go nuts and feast with no worries at all!

Registered Member

thanks for the help DatDiscusDude, appreciate it. It is better today and once in a while I see them stand up for themselves.