ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90G setup need feedback

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default 90G setup need feedback

So I'm going to be tearing down my planted 65 gallon display tank after having it going for awhile now. I've quickly learned that's it just too difficult to keep clean and I don't want to sacrifice my fishes health because I like plants. I'm buying a new 90 gallon marineland and stand. Should I go bare bottom completely for a display tank? If so what color should I paint the bottom and back? Also pool filter sand was another option I was contemplating. I do still want to have plants but this time I'm going to keep them in pots for ease of cleaning. Also my current canister isn't going to be powerful enough to turn the 90G over enough times per hour. Will an FX4 be alright for a 90? I currently have 5 stendker discus, tetras and corydoras. I want to do this the right way. Thank you

Default Re: 90G setup need feedback

Really a good move. I did the same thing. When I saw less than desirable results with my fish I removed all of my plants. Well kept a few at first but eventually they all went. I took out 120# of eco and replaced with 50# of sand.

Obviously BB is the easiest to clean but sand is not bad at all. Many use sand in display tanks. My corys churn the sand pretty well and I try and turn it over periodically when vac'ng waste.

Painting with light colors will result in a better display of colors from your fish. Not only do you avoid peppering with pb strains but other strains will brighten as well. I went from black substrate to white and difference in appearance of the fish was night and day.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Ok so just do pool filter sand? I currently have eco complete capped with flourite black sand but it's too light and it just gets sucked up. Pool filter sand I know is heavy and works well. How many bags should I need for a 90G? 4'x18"x2' ?? Also what about filtration? Sump would be ideal but damn there expensive. Also if I do a white sand can I paint the background black?

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    Ok so just do pool filter sand? I currently have eco complete capped with flourite black sand but it's too light and it just gets sucked up. Pool filter sand I know is heavy and works well. How many bags should I need for a 90G? 4'x18"x2' ?? Also what about filtration? Sump would be ideal but damn there expensive. Also if I do a white sand can I paint the background black?
    I used one bag in my 75 which has a footprint of 48x18. Pretty much perfectly covers the bottom rim of the tank.

Right now I'm running an eheim pro4+ 600 so I can't give any advice on the fluval. I have just finished building my sump and will be switching over once I build a stand to fit it.

You are right they are expensive but diy isn't bad at all. I picked up a 40B on the $/gallon sale and spent about $100 bucks on baffles.

From what I read a dark background does not have as much of an effect as the bottom but I think lighter is still the suggestion.

I've been trying different backgrounds. Rather than paint o went to tap plastics. They sell these super thin sheets of plastic in tons of colors. I just cut to fit and slide it between the upper and lower rims. I had black but started to notice a bit of peppering on my pbs

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Ok I don't mind a little pepper here and there. Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully someone else can comment on my filtration issues. Thanks.

Ok I don't mind a little pepper here and there. Thanks again for all your help. Hopefully someone else can comment on my filtration issues. Thanks.
    Many here use the fx filters so I'm sure you'll get some help. As long as you mind your stocking and maintenance I would imagine you are ok. Keep in mind discus don't like strong current. Also keep in mind many use hob or sponge filters. You can pack far more media into a canister than the other types

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Many here use the fx filters so I'm sure you'll get some help. As long as you mind your stocking and maintenance I would imagine you are ok. Keep in mind discus don't like strong current. Also keep in mind many use hob or sponge filters. You can pack far more media into a canister than the other types
    That's why I am a little concerned about too much flow. I have a friend though that runs an fx5 on a 120 which is only 30 more gallons than a 90 so you'd think an fx4 would work perfectly on a 90. They say 700gph however you pack it full of media and I doubt it's doing 700gph. I also believe the flow can be controlled as I have no desire for a diy spray bar project.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

fx5 is a powerful filter. i have one on my 180g and love it. to reduce flow on a 90g u could rig up a spray bar, ive seen vids on youtube showing how to do this. however, i will caution that the fx5 and fx6 r beasts, and dragging them out from under a tank to clean frequently is a royal PITA. with canisters there is the "out of sight, out of mind" danger where hobbyists may leave the waste and debris in the filters where it is still a part of the water column and can foul the water. so u just gotta make sure u do the work of cleaning them regularly.

HOB or sumps are easier to clean, so that is something to consider when choosing.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

sorry just saw ur spray bar comment lol!! so just ignore my comment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    fx5 is a powerful filter. i have one on my 180g and love it. to reduce flow on a 90g u could rig up a spray bar, ive seen vids on youtube showing how to do this. however, i will caution that the fx5 and fx6 r beasts, and dragging them out from under a tank to clean frequently is a royal PITA. with canisters there is the "out of sight, out of mind" danger where hobbyists may leave the waste and debris in the filters where it is still a part of the water column and can foul the water. so u just gotta make sure u do the work of cleaning them regularly.

HOB or sumps are easier to clean, so that is something to consider when choosing.
    Thanks for the help! Yeah no intention on diy spray bar for me lol. I've always maintained and cleaned my canisters monthly and this one will be no exception! Thanks again for your feedback.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Ok so I've made up my mind I am going with the FX4 I however have not made my mind up yet on if I should go completely bare bottom or pool filter sand.

Ok so I've made up my mind I am going with the FX4 I however have not made my mind up yet on if I should go completely bare bottom or pool filter sand.
    You could always start BB then add sand later once your fish have gotten through the most important growth stage.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

if u start BB u can always add sand later on. i would start with BB so u can get a feel for just how easy it is to clean. u may love it and keep the BB (i did). if u start with sand u will never know whether U liked BB or not. if u dont like BB u can easily just add sand later. at least that way u get to try out both.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    if u start BB u can always add sand later on. i would start with BB so u can get a feel for just how easy it is to clean. u may love it and keep the BB (i did). if u start with sand u will never know whether U liked BB or not. if u dont like BB u can easily just add sand later. at least that way u get to try out both.
    Sand is easy to suck out of the aquarium too! LOL If I do go BB what color should I paint the bottom? I think I want a black background with a light color bottom either by painting it a light color or with pool filter sand.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i guess its easy on a smaller tank, i took forever to remove all the sand from my 210g because it was hard to reach the bottom! i ended up painting the bottom white which i like, but ive seen some neat "sandy" paints that make the painted bottom look like it is grainy sand too, which may look neat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast