AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 90G setup need feedback

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default Re: 90G setup need feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You could always start BB then add sand later once your fish have gotten through the most important growth stage.
    All of my fish are 4.5"+

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    i guess its easy on a smaller tank, i took forever to remove all the sand from my 210g because it was hard to reach the bottom! i ended up painting the bottom white which i like, but ive seen some neat "sandy" paints that make the painted bottom look like it is grainy sand too, which may look neat
    I guess ill paint the back black and do the bottom white and I will probably just use pool filter sand unless someone can convince me otherwise LOL All of my fish are past that growth stage and are all over 4"+ and I have no plans to add anything smaller in the future.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

lol oh noooo! ive failed in my attempt to convert u to the BB camp!!! so close...

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    All of my fish are 4.5"+

I guess ill paint the back black and do the bottom white and I will probably just use pool filter sand unless someone can convince me otherwise LOL All of my fish are past that growth stage and are all over 4"+ and I have no plans to add anything smaller in the future.
    I continued to grow my fish with sand with no issue. It really does not seem tough to keep clean. Most everything settles right on top and is easy to siphon. The pump I use for wc is just strong enough to lift the sand and churn it in the python tube then drop it back down. Well I can suck it out if I don't pay attention but I got a good system going.

The sand I got was from ace hardware. Was much more white than some of the other pool filter sand I had lying around. The bags I had were more tan
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

I continued to grow my fish with sand with no issue. It really does not seem tough to keep clean. Most everything settles right on top and is easy to siphon. The pump I use for wc is just strong enough to lift the sand and churn it in the python tube then drop it back down. Well I can suck it out if I don't pay attention but I got a good system going.

The sand I got was from ace hardware. Was much more white than some of the other pool filter sand I had lying around. The bags I had were more tan
    Do remember the brand? When I had pool filter sand before I remember it being pretty heavy and my python wasn't able to completely suck it up.

Do remember the brand? When I had pool filter sand before I remember it being pretty heavy and my python wasn't able to completely suck it up.
    https://m.acehardware.com/product/in...d-da6feff88c88

I use a pump with my python. Python alone probably won't suck it up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Just an update to the thread I'm going to pick everything up tomorrow I still don't know wether I want an fx4 or fx6 for the 90. I've heard all sorts of mixed stuff. My friend has (2) fx6's on his 125 and his discus thrive so would one fx6 be okay on a 90? The reason I really want the fx6 is because I can house my media in it. Please advise

Just my 2 cents, I have 2 Eheim Pro4+ 350's on a 75gal tank. I prefer the 2 canister set up because I can alternate cleaning. It also offers flexibility in how and what you put in your canisters. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Dam777 View Post
    Just my 2 cents, I have 2 Eheim Pro4+ 350's on a 75gal tank. I prefer the 2 canister set up because I can alternate cleaning. It also offers flexibility in how and what you put in your canisters. JMHO
    Great filters. I have the 600 on my 75

Real Name
    TONY

Truthfully, the "4" is more than enough for your current setup by most performance standards. The "6" for an extra hundred or so would be a good investment for future expansion. Not a Fluval fan myself but I know quite a few & have heard & seen good things. OCD had me go in a different direction & have had -0- problems. Redundancy & turnover are more than most but I sleep well & the fish thrive. A wealth of media is split between four filters, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C110s. Cleaning is alternated 1 can +1 hob then the other two monthly. Overkill?? Probably. Results? Priceless!! "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Thanks again everyone for your help! I ended up just getting the FX4 and I am super happy I did as the flow is perfect and I think anymore may have been too much. I am currently cycling the tank with Dr. Tims and pure ammonia because I am too lazy to open my canister and remove some seeded matrix. I'm not really in a huge hurry to move the fish as that's the part I am dreading. Hopefully by next weekend I can get them into there new home!

IMG_0436_zpsiterjurn.jpg
    IMG_0438_zpsq8vqgwla.jpg
    Last edited by cjvdhx; 04-30-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Looks nice. Are you planning on having a planted tank? O loved my 24/7 while my tank was planted but without all my plants it's too much light. I now have to customize the color to prevent algae growth. A better option is the satellite pro plus.

I still run the 24/7 but I have the time opposite and have to run it on a timer and had to add a blue led strip so that I wasn't changing it all the time

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Looks nice. Are you planning on having a planted tank? O loved my 24/7 while my tank was planted but without all my plants it's too much light. I now have to customize the color to prevent algae growth. A better option is the satellite pro plus.

I still run the 24/7 but I have the time opposite and have to run it on a timer and had to add a blue led strip so that I wasn't changing it all the time
    You think the satellite plus pro is a better option? I actually looked at that light while I was there and it seemed nice but it was really expensive like $280 for a 48" fixture. The tank is going to be planted however with very simple simple plants like amazon sword and java fern and I am not going to root anything into the substrate I am going to use terra cotta pots so that I can easily move them and clean the tank. On my 65 currently I have a 36" 24/7 fixture and when I was running it in 247 mode I too was having algae problems so I just made a custom white light with the remote and set it on the timer.

You think the satellite plus pro is a better option? I actually looked at that light while I was there and it seemed nice but it was really expensive like $280 for a 48" fixture. The tank is going to be planted however with very simple simple plants like amazon sword and java fern and I am not going to root anything into the substrate I am going to use terra cotta pots so that I can easily move them and clean the tank. On my 65 currently I have a 36" 24/7 fixture and when I was running it in 247 mode I too was having algae problems so I just made a custom white light with the remote and set it on the timer.
    I have the plus pro on my planted tank and love it. Much more customizable but if you are ok with running the 24/7 on a custom color then you are good. During the highest part of the photo period it is a lot of light

When you run your other on a timer it doesn't resume 24/7 mode when powered off then back on?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

I have the plus pro on my planted tank and love it. Much more customizable but if you are ok with running the 24/7 on a custom color then you are good. During the highest part of the photo period it is a lot of light

When you run your other on a timer it doesn't resume 24/7 mode when powered off then back on?
    No it remembers what setting you had it set too. For example for M1 I have the white light dimmed like almost to the lowest setting and I just run that on a timer and it works perfectly. My discus don't seem to like the bright light on all the time.

Registered Member

6pm setting is good gives that subdued look

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast