AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Options for backgrounds

Registered Member

Default Options for backgrounds

I have a 60g that is currently empty and before I start cycling it I want some sort of background. In my option those tape on back wallpapers look tacky (or at least the ones I have seen) but Im also not sure about painting the back of it. I really love the look of the 3D backgrounds but I was wondering if there is any cheaper options?
    If I was to paint the back of it, what color would show off my discus the best?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Options for backgrounds

I agree,when you tape those backgrounds on,they don't look great.But if you smear mineral oil or olive oil on the tank and background and adhere it with a credit card to push the bubbles out;they look much better and clearer.You can even use a solid colored background(blue or black) instead of paint.If you don't like the colors later on down the road;it'll be much more easily removed than paint.

Real Name
    Mervin

Lighter backgrounds would be best for discus.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Lighter backgrounds would be best for discus.
    I might have to try that! Thank you! I always see people paint their tanks black but I've heard that absorbs to much light. I might try a light grey.

Registered Member

So I have been testing out colors to see what looks best and bought a few sheets of poster board. Nice and cheap, then put it behind the tank for a few days and see what I like. So far a white is winning

Quote Originally Posted by rellik View Post
    So I have been testing out colors to see what looks best and bought a few sheets of poster board. Nice and cheap, then put it behind the tank for a few days and see what I like. So far a white is winning
    I did a similar thing but with sheets from tap plastics. They have some really thin sheets that you can cut easily with scissors in a variety of colors. I actually cut it so it fits perfectly between the upper and lower rim and looks great.

It's nice because it's not permanent like paint.

I think when I finally get my sump going I am going to just frost the back
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Quote Originally Posted by legacyxboo View Post
    I really love the look of the 3D backgrounds but I was wondering if there is any cheaper options?
    I do it for free - price : my time. Everythink i got at home. My background its outside the tank.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-Amazon/page4
    My wild Browns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO_r41J-o6M

I really love the frosted look as well. I have a built in the wall tank between two rooms so I don't have a background but I did a coat on the QT tank and it is really pretty when you put a light through the back as kind of ambient light. I have also seen people shine a light through some manzanita branches so you just see the silhouette of the branches through the frost. This is a very cool simple, clean look that I think would look gorgeous with discus. Just a thought though. You have so many options. Have fun and let us know what you go with.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason Burch

I like to paint the back of my tanks with Plasti Dip, it is a rubber paint so when ever you get tired of it all you have to do it peel it right off. Color selection is pretty small but they do have a gray.
    https://www.amazon.com/Performix-112...lasti+dip+gray

Real Name
    Willie

I paint my tanks with a light blue color, which makes most colors pop. The problem with black is that it's essentially impossible to photograph the tank.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

I used plastidip for mine worked great!