ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Looking for a quality breeder in Europe

Registered Member

Default Looking for a quality breeder in Europe

Hello everyone!

I'm planning a 500 lt tank for "wild" discus. The thing is I would much rather find a breeder and get captive bred or even "wild looking" domestic strains rather than have animals that have been directly taken from the wild. Does anyone here know of a great breeder in Europe, preferably Germany, that could have something like this? I'm in no hurry because the tank would go up sometime end of September!

p.s. I'm not convinced by the Stendker Alenquers/Santarems, they always seem beaky and have a funny overall appearance.

Thank you in advance,
    Alberto

Default Re: Looking for a quality breeder in Europe

Stendker Discus are a high quality German Breeder/Exporter - which you should perhaps check them out a little further:

http://diskuszucht-stendker.de/en/home

I believe they're the best regarded in Europe, whether or not you don't care for some of their strains that you've seen.
    They're nonetheless likely to have something you're looking for.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 04-28-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Registered Member

Check Mondodiscus. Com for a list of world Discus Breeders. There are around 6 in Germany, Stendker is one on the list. Contact them before as some do not
    allow visitors. I have heard Stendker does not allow visitors.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-29-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Stendker may not sell discus @ retail from their breeding HQ's in Germany, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have one or more outlets for retail purchases at some locations within Germany.

The best in my openion are

http://www.luckydiscus.be/ by Luc Brosens

Markus Lax for wild cross - Best wild rosses in Europe

www.diskus-special.de/ - Ralf battenberg - Discus shob of both domestic and wil - very good quality

In Italy Francesco Penazi - One of the best breeders in the world

Chens Discus in UK

.... There are others. Where exactly in Europe?

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Unfortunately Francesco is winding down his tanks as family and work commitments are getting too much, but he has a fair few fish to give away. He has some new red rose x heckel F1 crosses that may fit the bill. If you feel like a jaunt to Modena! Otherwise best professional breeder in Italy is SG Discus, won tons of shows. They only sell to fish shops but you cann look on their website what they produce and contact them to see which shops they supply within range from where you are.
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 04-30-2017 at 01:13 PM.

SG are great too +1

Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, I think I have enough breeders to look through and find my discus! I live in Switzerland and probably 80% of the Discus sold are Stendker or stendker crosses. I agree that health wise they are probably the most robust but there's something about the two wild looking strains that just doesn't convince me, anyway thank you all again. I've already found a few favorites

Quote Originally Posted by alberto83 View Post
    but there's something about the two wild looking strains that just doesn't convince me, anyway thank you all again. I've already found a few favorites
    This is because of their breeding philosophy, they are trying to make them look less wild by eliminating the black halo and bars, but they ended up looking awful for me. I have seen some old pictures of their alenquer lines, those were something!!

Registered Member

That might be it, also I though maybe playing around with whatever genes made them more resistant also influenced their shape? who knows. Anyway the breeders you gave me really have exceptional fish!! like WOW Especially Markus Lax