ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best craigslist find?

Default Best craigslist find?

Im a craiglist junky.... great place to score cool things cheap or free. Ive gotten everything from generators to fish tanks and chickens there.

I just scored myself another great find and bought myself a nice present..12 each 60 watt solar panels (48volt system) for $100! Probably one of my best finds yet! Lots of potential projects there.

So whats your best find on craigslist?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Best craigslist find?

One of my last scores was a free" broken" solar panel... 120 watt panel. Cracked but fully functional after a few coats marine varnish.. I use it as a battery charger..
    20170429_180838.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Willie

I just picked up a 32" 1080p TV w/wall mount for $50. It'll replace my computer monitor.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I found a 4 stage Bulk Reef Supply ro/di for $60. It was less than a year old (supposedly) and came with extra carbon block and sediment filters as well as a big bag of resin.
    It should have some good time left on the membrane. It's working great so far.

How about a thread on the worst CL find? I have one for that!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Matt

This will be an interesting read! I'm personally not real fond of craigslist but I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else scored.
    -Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Does human trafficking count or are we talking actual items only ...? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Does human trafficking count or are we talking actual items only ...? LOL!
    I'd avoid your personal experiences with craigslist and human traffickn....it may be used against you in a court of law..plus I'd have to ban you!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason Burch

That's a tough one to answer as I have had so many great finds. Seems like one time I got a whole huge assorted tub of PVC fittings with many ball valves for $20. Had to be $300 easily worth of fittings. But if you were to ask my wife that same question she would cringe and begin to tell you all of the horror stories (horror is her term not mine lol) of our craigslist experiences. Including the first salt water setup I bought about 10 years ago that 2 months later apparently split a seam (hard to tell from the carnage afterwards with glass, fish and water everywhere destroying our laminate floors. Note to anyone buying tanks off of craigslist, take the time to remove the silicone and reseal it!!

Quote Originally Posted by jadren View Post
    That's a tough one to answer as I have had so many great finds. Seems like one time I got a whole huge assorted tub of PVC fittings with many ball valves for $20. Had to be $300 easily worth of fittings. But if you were to ask my wife that same question she would cringe and begin to tell you all of the horror stories (horror is her term not mine lol) of our craigslist experiences. Including the first salt water setup I bought about 10 years ago that 2 months later apparently split a seam (hard to tell from the carnage afterwards with glass, fish and water everywhere destroying our laminate floors. Note to anyone buying tanks off of craigslist, take the time to remove the silicone and reseal it!!
    Lol.. i sell all my tanks on craiglist as ..."yes it held water but selling as a reptile tank...no guarantees on the water seals. ......just in case!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I love some of the colored Weber grills and the red they quit making in 1999 is probably at the top of that list. Picked up this red kettle made in the 70s sometime with the legs ripped off for $5 and re-purposed it for a fire pit.

Best CL find? Probably about 5 years ago when I saw a listing for a home for sale that appeared to be a scam. Turned out it wasn't, guy inherited a home and was in a rush to sell.

I am always hunting on CL. I have to admit, there has been some dud when it was time for the transaction (walked away quite a few). The worse ones are when seller realizes s/he priced it wrong because of all the interests and wanted to up the price.

Most recent Nikon stuff for $120. Probably responded less than 10 minutes after seller posted it.

D70 Body + 3 battery
    D90 Body + 2 battery
    70-210mm 4-5.6 D lens

Both cameras had original box and just over 4K shutter count.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I love some of the colored Weber grills and the red they quit making in 1999 is probably at the top of that list. Picked up this red kettle made in the 70s sometime with the legs ripped off for $5 and re-purposed it for a fire pit.

Nice Keith! Very NIce! I love when people re-purpose things like this!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Best CL find? Probably about 5 years ago when I saw a listing for a home for sale that appeared to be a scam. Turned out it wasn't, guy inherited a home and was in a rush to sell.

I am always hunting on CL. I have to admit, there has been some dud when it was time for the transaction (walked away quite a few). The worse ones are when seller realizes s/he priced it wrong because of all the interests and wanted to up the price.

Most recent Nikon stuff for $120. Probably responded less than 10 minutes after seller posted it.

D70 Body + 3 battery
    D90 Body + 2 battery
    70-210mm 4-5.6 D lens

Both cameras had original box and just over 4K shutter count.
    Yes, I would say that qualifies as a winner!

The secret to craigslist is know a little about the items value. I see stuff all the time thats ridiculously over priced. I will sometimes message them and point it out. Sometimes the sellers get all indignant...others they thank me and offer it to me at the price point close to where I think it should be. Many sellers are just unrealistic or uninformed...others are clearly trying to rip off an unwary seller. Craiglist is like a wild west version of ebay....its truly a buyer beware activity, but it can be a really great place for great stuff.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Nice Keith! Very NIce! I love when people re-purpose things like this!

al
    Thanks Al, I really like it too obviously. It provides me with a very nice little side benefit. I have a very small backyard and the city doesn't allow fire pits within 25' of a house...grills on the other hand they only suggest are 10' from a house.

Real Name
    Mike

Just scored perfect black trim 55G with stand, covers/lights and penn plax canister filter. Enough flourite for it also. Some other misc stuff. $50 Cash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast