AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sick discus, please help

Registered Member

Default sick discus, please help

hello simply discus,

i just rescued 3 discus, owner didn't have anymore time to care for them so he gave them to me.

please let me know if you guys can let me know what's wrong with them. i attached a few photos of them including the water test that i did before this posting.
    IMG_3214.jpgIMG_3213.jpgIMG_3215.jpgIMG_3216.jpgIMG_3217.jpgIMG_3218.jpgIMG_3219.jpg

white one looks really bad

thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: sick discus, please help

From your Test chart , Ammonia levels are very high,you are going to need a lot of water changes in the next few days. In my opinion snow white discus has ammonia burns and is emaciated and should be culled.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

how much water change do you think ill need? i did about 30% WC this morning. i have another tank with 11 juvies and an arowana in it.i do 50% WC on my 75 gal tank daily.

Registered Member

no chance for the white one to survive?

I think it's commendable when someone tries to rescue discus but often times they are too far gone and likely suffering. These fish look like they have been kept in poor condition for quite some time judging by the size of the eye and especially how bad that poor snow white looks

I am no expert but I would agree the snow white probably should be put out of its misery. The other two, although very stunted, may be able to recover.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by djnoelleon View Post
    how much water change do you think ill need? i did about 30% WC this morning. i have another tank with 11 juvies and an arowana in it.i do 50% WC on my 75 gal tank daily.
    I recommend 75 to 100% water changes daily till they recover and are full of full of vigour.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

I agree they all look stunted but if you are going to save the others that are equally stunted why not save the white too. Fins heals fast. He is very stunted but so are the others. Just thinking out loud here...sorry...I am a sucker for saving creatures.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I recommend 75 to 100% water changes daily till they recover and are full of full of vigour.
    ill start with 75% WC tomorrow. thanks

Registered Member

anything i can add in the water to speed up the healing process?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by djnoelleon View Post
    anything i can add in the water to speed up the healing process?
    For the time being just do large water changes daily.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Did I also read you have juvi discus in with an arrowana. You may want to change that up as well. I can't see that pairing working out too well... for either fish given the tank size and way the arrow can eat