AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fx5

Registered Member

Default fx5

Hi was hoping I can get your guys help I found a used fluval fx5 in my area on craigslist for sale says everything works fine and all parts are there what do you guys would think would be a good price on it hes asking 150 kinda debating on getting it because you just never know. do the fx5s last a long time thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: fx5

i have had my fx5 since 2009. still running smoothly, and i love it. i sold one last year for $150, my friend sold hers for $200, so thats reasonable (canadian dollars). i would want to see and hear it running before buying. afterwards i would also remove the motor and pull the impellar apart and see what kind of wear it has, if any. i took out my impeller and cleaned the gunk off it last week and its still nice and smooth.

all my o-rings are still working great too, but i lube them regularly. i'd check the
    o-rings for cracks etc, u may need to buy replacements if they r worn out.

its always a risk buying 2nd hand tho. after this filter dies on me i will prob upgrade to an fx6 because ive been so pleased with the fx5 in general.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Petsmart just had a sale on the FX6 for $255 I am pretty sure. I'd check that out

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    i have had my fx5 since 2009. still running smoothly, and i love it. i sold one last year for $150, my friend sold hers for $200, so thats reasonable (canadian dollars). i would want to see and hear it running before buying. afterwards i would also remove the motor and pull the impellar apart and see what kind of wear it has, if any. i took out my impeller and cleaned the gunk off it last week and its still nice and smooth.

all my o-rings are still working great too, but i lube them regularly. i'd check the
    o-rings for cracks etc, u may need to buy replacements if they r worn out.

its always a risk buying 2nd hand tho. after this filter dies on me i will prob upgrade to an fx6 because ive been so pleased with the fx5 in general.
    Kyla, what do you use to lube the O-rings? I'm trying to figure out a product that would be safe to use for discus. Thanks in advance Kyla.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hdhong View Post
    Kyla, what do you use to lube the O-rings? I'm trying to figure out a product that would be safe to use for discus. Thanks in advance Kyla.
    I've always used chapstick, burts bees is best.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Ok thanks for the responses im thinking im just going to bite the bullet and buy a new fx6 instead of a hand me down I didn't see that deal at petsmart I must of missed out but what o rings do you recommend lubing from time to time I don't thave the filter yet so im not sure. what lube the o ring around the cover thanks

Registered Member

never mind im sure your talking about o ring on the impellar how often do you take off the motor to clean the impellar

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

yes the o ring on the impeller, and i lube the o ring on the main lid as well.

i take the motor off and clean the slime out every couple months. when i had sand in the tank i cleaned it every time i cleaned the filter because during cleaning of the canister i would often somehow push the accumulated sand in the motor and when i plugged it back in i could hear a grinding noise. no idea how the sand got into the filter....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i picked up a little bottle of lube from some online site. it was so long ago i dont remember where i got it. ill take a pic of it later and post it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    yes the o ring on the impeller, and i lube the o ring on the main lid as well.

i take the motor off and clean the slime out every couple months. when i had sand in the tank i cleaned it every time i cleaned the filter because during cleaning of the canister i would often somehow push the accumulated sand in the motor and when i plugged it back in i could hear a grinding noise. no idea how the sand got into the filter....
    Ok thanks for the help Kyla so how often do you clean the whole filter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

right now im cleaning it every 3-4 weeks. last time i opened it up there was hardly anything in it, so i could prob leave it longer. the way i have my outputs directed, most of the crud accumulates on the back floor of the tank instead of being pushed around and sucked up by the filter, so i siphon it out when i do wc. i think turning off the filter during feedings has made a big dif too. i could go one step further and use the sponges i bought for prefiltering but i havent gotten around to it.

Silicone lubricant, sold for plumbing parts, works great, and is safe for fish. Ive used it on o-rings in my saltwater and freshwater aquariums for many years. You can buy little shoe polish shaped cans at Lowes or Home Depot.

-Leland

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

this is the lubricant i use.

Registered Member

Thanks Kyla. How often do you apply the lubricant to the o-ring? every time you clean the filter?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    Silicone lubricant, sold for plumbing parts, works great, and is safe for fish. Ive used it on o-rings in my saltwater and freshwater aquariums for many years. You can buy little shoe polish shaped cans at Lowes or Home Depot.

-Leland
    Leland could you provide a link to the one that you're currently using? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast