AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help for the Sponge-Filter Illiterate

Registered Member

Default Help for the Sponge-Filter Illiterate

I've just added a sponge filter (Hydro IV) to my 55 gallon tank, which also has a Fluval 406 canister. The tank has 6 juvenile discus (3.5"), as well as 8 rummynose tetras and a few cory catfish. Pool filter sand and a few potted plants. All the fish are doing well, and water parameters have been excellent, but I wanted a bit more filtration as a backup.

How large of an air pump do I need for this setup? I've tried a Tetra Whisper 60 as well as a Fluval Q1. Both were terribly loud, and I'd rather not have the sponge filter than have to listen to them.

Would a smaller pump suffice? Or would having a smaller pump negate much of the benefit that the sponge filter should be providing? Any suggestions?

Default Re: Help for the Sponge-Filter Illiterate

Go on Amazon and get an hydrofarm pump. They are super quiet. Great pump and love the large adjustment knob. I imagine that should work well although I don't use sponge filters.

Active Aqua Air Pump, 2 Outlets, 3W, 7.8 L/min https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TCC46U..._0S-bzbK6HBBG8
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Steve

I was glad when I had enough tanks to make buying a piston air pump worthwhile. I hated the vibrator types. I have a local customer who says he uses a power head with his sponge filter. I've never done it so not sure how it works, but might be an idea worth looking into.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I've seen the one ryan recommended a lot on here. If you go with a large stronger air pump it should be quiet and strong

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    I've seen the one ryan recommended a lot on here. If you go with a large stronger air pump it should be quiet and strong
    I use the two outlet on my tank with a 4" airstone. With cabinet closed I do not hear it at all. I Y both outlets together. The large adjustment knob makes it really nice to adjust to desired flow.

I've tried other pumps and this is by far the quietest.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I use the two outlet on my tank with a 4" airstone. With cabinet closed I do not hear it at all. I Y both outlets together. The large adjustment knob makes it really nice to adjust to desired flow.

I've tried other pumps and this is by far the quietest.
    I have yet to give that one a go but it is sitting in my amazon save for a rainy day pile and I plan to grab one if and when I need a new pump!

Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone--much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    I have yet to give that one a go but it is sitting in my amazon save for a rainy day pile and I plan to grab one if and when I need a new pump!
    For the price you can't beat it.