ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 90G Stendker Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default 90G Stendker Tank

Figured I'd start one these up so everyone can follow the progression. I've decided to tear down my 65 gallon planted tank and start fresh with far less plants and just make it about the discus and not so much plants.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Default Re: 90G Stendker Tank

I am going to "seed" the new filter hopefully this coming weekend and move the discus. I really want them in the new tank but at the same time I am dreading it because I know there going to "freak out" does anyone have any good tips for moving them? There new home is only 20 feet across the room LOL

I was really scared to move mine when I did my substrate change but turned out to be no but deal. Remember when you net them don't chase them try and "trap" them

Are you transferring media or are you going to run new and established filter simultaneously?.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I was really scared to move mine when I did my substrate change but turned out to be no but deal. Remember when you net them don't chase them try and "trap" them

Are you transferring media or are you going to run new and established filter simultaneously?.
    I like to run both but I think if I do that the discus will be churning in a tornado for awhile LOL the fx4 is plenty of filter for this tank. I think I'm going to just transfer as much matrix as I can do a large water change and call it good. I'll be doing daily water changes probably anyways so if there's a little nitrite or ammonia spike that's nothing a little prime can't handle right? I'm also going to try and remove all the driftwood and as many plants as I can before trying to net them that way there not banging against the driftwood while I try and catch them. Also what would be a good method as far as moving them just net them one by one over into the new tank? GH, KH, and PH should be very similiar between the two tanks. I will however double check before I start. Also should I try and use as much of the old water as I can? Or doesn't that matter?

Real Name
    Mervin

I try never to net my discus.Instead drain the water until there is only a few inches left,then pick them up in the palm of your hand.I find this method less stressful than netting.You can transfer them to a bowl one by one and put them right in the new tank.I would not put the old dirty/depleted water in the new tank.There is nothing in it but waste.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I try never to net my discus.Instead drain the water until there is only a few inches left,then pick them up in the palm of your hand.I find this method less stressful than netting.You can transfer them to a bowl one by one and put them right in the new tank.I would not put the old dirty/depleted water in the new tank.There is nothing in it but waste.
    Ok cool thanks for the response! So don't re use any old tank water into the new aquarium. I do like your suggestion about not netting them however this method won't work for me because my discus are in a community setup with other fish. It's a really good idea though! I am going to try and take Ryan's advice and not chase them around the tank but try and trap them. Also do you think once I seed the new filter with old matrix and do a massive water change it will be good to move them?

Quote Originally Posted by cjvdhx View Post
    Ok cool thanks for the response! So don't re use any old tank water into the new aquarium. I do like your suggestion about not netting them however this method won't work for me because my discus are in a community setup with other fish. It's a really good idea though! I am going to try and take Ryan's advice and not chase them around the tank but try and trap them. Also do you think once I seed the new filter with old matrix and do a massive water change it will be good to move them?
    Are you planning on leaving some fish in the other tank so can't move all of your media?

If so I would test levels and wc daily while new media establishes. I also have had good results with seachem stability helping out the process

Just thought I'd share....A few months back I started a 90 gal( February ) for my shipment of Stendkers, started the tank with Stability and stocked a dozen 4 inch in the tank 7 days later no issues. I know some claim it can't be done but it works, do it all the time.
    Last edited by ColdPeg; 05-03-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Are you planning on leaving some fish in the other tank so can't move all of your media?

If so I would test levels and wc daily while new media establishes. I also have had good results with seachem stability helping out the process
    All fish are being moved and old tank is being tore down.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdPeg View Post
    Just thought I'd share....A few months back I started a 90 gal( February ) for my shipment of Stendkers, started the tank with Stability and stocked a dozen 4 inch in the tank 7 days later no issues. I now some claim it can't be done but it works, do it all the time.
    Great minds think alike! I'm on day 5 dosing stability and I used ammonia to bring it 2ppm. I plan to do this weekend.

All fish are being moved and old tank is being tore down.

Great minds think alike! I'm on day 5 dosing stability and I used ammonia to bring it 2ppm. I plan to do this weekend.
    I'm guessing if the water is ok in the current tank then it should be fine in new tank if you are adding all of your cycled media along with the new

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

I'm guessing if the water is ok in the current tank then it should be fine in new tank if you are adding all of your cycled media along with the new
    Yes going to add all matrix I can fit. Should I do tonight or tomorrow or is it okay to move the seeded media into the new canister the same day I move the fishes?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Ok well the kids are getting moved Saturday I seeded the new canister with a ton of matrix tank was able to eat well over 2ppm of ammonia in a little over 24 hours. Nitrates are around 80 LOL big water change.

Ok well the kids are getting moved Saturday I seeded the new canister with a ton of matrix tank was able to eat well over 2ppm of ammonia in a little over 24 hours. Nitrates are around 80 LOL big water change.
    Probably more than one. Try to get those nitrates to 10

Registered Member
    Real Name
    CJ

Probably more than one. Try to get those nitrates to 10
    Comes out of my tap around 5-10ppm I was going to just do like a 90% water change should be enough right? Also my fx4 creates a good bit of surface agitation however should I be still running a air stone or small sponge filter?

Comes out of my tap around 5-10ppm I was going to just do like a 90% water change should be enough right? Also my fx4 creates a good bit of surface agitation however should I be still running a air stone or small sponge filter?
    That sucks definitely watch your nitrates then. I would say if you have plenty of surface agitation you should be ok. I run an airstone but only because it's there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast