AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Malawi ??

Registered Member

Default Malawi ??

hey friends,

I m gona setup a new planted tank. Also I have pair of powder blue discus . So thought of new tanks mates for them.

thought of having Malawi s with the pair of discus , Do you guys think its a bad idea ??

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Malawi ??

In short yes, totally different sides of the world. Very different water, food, and aggression levels. Something more peaceful from the new world side of the world would be better suited.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Not to mention most are rock scrappers. I can attest to the fact that some can descale a fish in less than an hour. Bad idea imho

Real Name
    Matt

You will also find that the hyperactive behaviour of African's will stress you as well as the fish. The beauty of discus is their calming personality. I actually think this is what makes them stand out from all other fish, with maybe the exception of leafy and weedy sea dragons.

Registered Member

Ok friends,

Seems like Im wrong in this .

Please tell me what are the tank mates for discuss. ? I have seen Neon tetras with them in youtube video. Is that a yes ?

Also Any kind of tetra is possible ??

Registered Member

yes, bad idea. no bueno.

Registered Member

the best ones imo are the rummy nose tetra, because they can take the discus heat and look amazing when schooling:

Real Name
    TONY

Quote Originally Posted by lahi88 View Post
    Ok friends,

Please tell me what are the tank mates for discuss. ? I have seen Neon tetras with them in youtube video. Is that a yes ?

Neons not so much. Had success w/ several other tetras - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella . Also have both Spotted Raphael (Agamyxis pectinifrons) & Striped Raphael (Platydoras costatus) Cats. Both are peaceful, nocturnal scavengers & never bother Discus. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Real Name
    Mervin

Plus Malawi cichlids will eat most plants and not considered a planted tank fish.They'd rather be in a rocky set up,with algae if possible.A lot of Malawi species will get bloat from discus food being high in protein.

If you are lookinf for other cichlids many keep South American cichlids with discus
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by lahi88 View Post
    Ok friends,

Neon could work but it highly depends on the mood of your fish and your luck.

I tried (I think) 6 times so far with 8 mixed neon/cardinal each time. Sometimes they all got eaten within a day. Sometimes within a week. Sometimes 1 or 2 out of them survive. The most successful one was all 8 success, but I don't even know what caused that. All of them were brought from the same source.