ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure which bulkhead should I use

Default Not sure which bulkhead should I use

Hello

I bought a tank with three 2'' holes for the bulkheads and I am a little bit confused about what bulkhead should I use, actually Im not sure if they are gonig to work because for the 1'' bulkhead Im supose to drill a 45mm hole and for the 1 1/4'' its 53mm and the holes I have are 51mm so obviously the 1 1/4'' wont fit and they are 6mm bigger than recommended for the 1'' bulkhead

What would you do? Should the 1'' bulkhead work even if the hole is bigger than recommended?

Default Re: Not sure wich bulkhead should I use

2" holes...2" bulkheads?
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    2" holes...2" bulkheads?
    No, that isn't the case. OK, please do not do this. I'll get you the right measurement in a bit

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

hi Ryan

No, the holes are 2'', but the 2'' bulkheads are too big for the 2'' holes and even 1 1/4'' bulkheads are too big for the 2'' holes and 1'' bulkheads need a smaller hole (6mm less)... thats why I dont know what to use because I'm afraid that the hole is too big for the bulkhead and would start leaking

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Thank you rickztahone!

A 1" bulkhead needs a 1 3/4" hole drilled in the tank or sump where it will be installed.

A 1.5" bulkhead needs a 2 3/8" hole drilled in the tank or sump where it will be installed.

The holes in my tank are 2'' exactly, thats where my problem is, its like in between so they are bigger for 1'' bulkheads and too small for the 1 1/2 bulkheads and I dont know how risky is if I install 1'' bulkheads on 2'' holes

Quote Originally Posted by Garita View Post
    hi Ryan

No, the holes are 2'', but the 2'' bulkheads are too big for the 2'' holes and even 1 1/4'' bulkheads are too big for the 2'' holes and 1'' bulkheads need a smaller hole (6mm less)... thats why I dont know what to use because I'm afraid that the hole is too big for the bulkhead and would start leaking

thanks
    Sorry meant if you are already have 2" holes you are going to need to go bigger and use the larger bulkhead. I wouldn't go smaller. The last thing you want is a leaky bulkhead draining your tank

Sorry meant if you are already have 2" holes you are going to need to go bigger and use the larger bulkhead. I wouldn't go smaller. The last thing you want is a leaky bulkhead draining your tank
    Do you mean I have to make the holes in the tank bigger? How can I do that?

rickztahone : I replied to your post but didnt show up I dont know why, the problem is that the holes in my tank are not matching with either of the measurements recommended
    Last edited by Garita; 05-07-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Do you mean I have to make the holes in the tank bigger? How can I do that?
    I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have an acrylic tank.

My apologies but I thought you were looking for the sizes of bulkheads to drill. If you already have the holes than I recommend you call John from Jehmco.com. that dude knows everything about bulkheads. Give him the size of your hole and he'll sell you what you need

Cafepress.com

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have an acrylic tank.

My apologies but I thought you were looking for the sizes of bulkheads to drill. If you already have the holes than I recommend you call John from Jehmco.com. that dude knows everything about bulkheads. Give him the size of your hole and he'll sell you what you need
    The thing is I'm from Costa Rica lol Maybe they can send me things but I cant call them

I have another question haha

What if I cover the holes with a piece of glass and silicon like a patch? And drill another two somewhere else?

Just thinking out loud here. Obviously leak safety is top priority.

Maybe a plate could be cut with the proper size holes to line up with existing holes. Same plate above and below the existing holes and siliconed into place then the proper bulkhead can be used without drilling?

Thoughts anyone ?

Do you have a photo of tank and holes ?

Real Name
    Ricardo

I have another question haha

What if I cover the holes with a piece of glass and silicon like a patch? And drill another two somewhere else?
    You can take a piece of glass (square) that is a little larger than the 2" holes and use them as patches from the inside where the pressure is hitting the holes and silicone them in to place. Not sure if these holes are up high on the tank or on the tank floor, but it would make a difference as to how much I would recommend doing this.

As far as the 2" bulkheads, I can keep looking for an exact bulkhead that would fit that size, but my guest would be a 1.5" BH

Edit:

actually, I take that back. See here:
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/bulkhead_fittings.html

There isn't an exact match to a 2" hole. Can you measure again and see if it isn't a 2 1/4" hole?
    Last edited by rickztahone; 05-08-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Cafepress.com

Look here and look at dimension C
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhe...-x-thread.html

If I read this right...it says 1 1/4 bulkhead.

these can get tricky as you can have schedule 40 and 80 and even thought they are the same size, they require different size holes.

Just thinking out loud here. Obviously leak safety is top priority.

Maybe a plate could be cut with the proper size holes to line up with existing holes. Same plate above and below the existing holes and siliconed into place then the proper bulkhead can be used without drilling?

Thoughts anyone ?

Do you have a photo of tank and holes ?
    Two holes for overflow

IMG_20170508_204428_1920x1080.jpg

Drain hole

IMG_20170508_204452_1280x720.jpg

The idea with the plates would be the solution, but today I went to the local glass shop and the guy told me, he wouldn't do that because the glass might not hold it. I asked him if we could put some patches over the 2'' holes.

You can take a piece of glass (square) that is a little larger than the 2" holes and use them as patches from the inside where the pressure is hitting the holes and silicone them in to place. Not sure if these holes are up high on the tank or on the tank floor, but it would make a difference as to how much I would recommend doing this.

As far as the 2" bulkheads, I can keep looking for an exact bulkhead that would fit that size, but my guest would be a 1.5" BH

Edit:

actually, I take that back. See here:
    http://www.jehmco.com/html/bulkhead_fittings.html

There isn't an exact match to a 2" hole. Can you measure again and see if it isn't a 2 1/4" hole?

No, there is not a single bulkhead listed for 2'' holes and yeah the holes are 2'' no less no more see:

IMG_20170508_203741_1280x720.jpg

I kinda found something that I can use with the 2'' holes, this DIY bulkhead with a gasket

IMG_20170508_210953_1280x720.jpg

But now the gasket is too thick so the male thread doesnt make it to the other side of the 10mm glass, and I tried to find a thinner gasket but there was no success, any ideas on how to make the gasket thinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Look here and look at dimension C
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhe...-x-thread.html

If I read this right...it says 1 1/4 bulkhead.

these can get tricky as you can have schedule 40 and 80 and even thought they are the same size, they require different size holes.
    Yeah the dimension C is 2'' but they say 'you will need a hole in your tank that is slightly larger than the "C" measurement for the corresponding bulkhead' So it would not work because I have exact 2'' holes no larger, now, the 1'' bulkhead needs holes larger than 1.65'' and below 2.67'' that might work because I have 2'' holes but they are not slightly bigger they are a lot bigger than 1.65'' thats my concern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast