AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick discus

Default Re: Sick discus

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy.jane68.tj View Post
    The chloramine is used once a blue moon and only two grains it kills parasites and harmful bacteria but does not harm any fish
    It is stated on the description and use of this product that it can also kill your beneficial bacteria. Given the readings you have posted this is quite likely. Doing large daily water changes and using something like prime will help to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite while your BB is allowed to reestablish. Wc,wc,wc is your best bet as all others have mentioned
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Tracy,

Did your Discus look like the pictures before you used the Chloramine T. If they looked like this before the Chloramine T , its not going to help. You have a serious bacterial infection,or protozoan infection, or possibly a virus. WE need more information here..

1. How long have the discus been sick?

2. How long ago did you treat with Chloramine T?

3. When was the last time you brought fish into the house? any kind, not just discus.

4. You said you added plants, when? and where did they come from?

As the others advised... stay away from the chloramine T.. its not a good medication for Discus treatment, Koi tolerate it better and harder to overdose in a koi pond than in a discus tank because of how it reacts with organic matter.

At this point, I am afraid it looks like you may lose some more.. I would do a very large water change and add salt at 1 tablespoon per 1 gal aquarium water. Doesn't need to be "aquarium" salt, regular table salt is fine. Maintain that concentration for the next several days. Do daily large water changes and replace the salt to maintain that concentration.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Tracy,

Did your Discus look like the pictures before you used the Chloramine T. If they looked like this before the Chloramine T , its not going to help. You have a serious bacterial infection,or protozoan infection, or possibly a virus. WE need more information here..

1. How long have the discus been sick?

2. How long ago did you treat with Chloramine T?

3. When was the last time you brought fish into the house? any kind, not just discus.

4. You said you added plants, when? and where did they come from?

As the others advised... stay away from the chloramine T.. its not a good medication for Discus treatment, Koi tolerate it better and harder to overdose in a koi pond than in a discus tank because of how it reacts with organic matter.

At this point, I am afraid it looks like you may lose some more.. I would do a very large water change and add salt at 1 tablespoon per 1 gal aquarium water. Doesn't need to be "aquarium" salt, regular table salt is fine. Maintain that concentration for the next several days. Do daily large water changes and replace the salt to maintain that concentration.

al
    Al you mean 1 tablespoon per 10 gal right/??
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member

Yes they did brewmaster that's why we put two grains of chloramine t in the tank to treat them . They have been this way since Tuesday . Chloramine was used Tuesday evening . We bought three young discus two weeks ago but they are in a separate tank then we bought some cardinal tetras and flame tetras Sunday . The plants were added three weeks ago

Registered Member

The only thing done differently Monday was giving them live blood worms they have been sick since that

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    Al you mean 1 tablespoon per 10 gal right/??
    HI Jacklyn, no actually I did mean 1 tablespoon per 1 gal water. It may seem alot but its really not.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy.jane68.tj View Post
    Yes they did brewmaster that's why we put two grains of chloramine t in the tank to treat them . They have been this way since Tuesday . Chloramine was used Tuesday evening . We bought three young discus two weeks ago but they are in a separate tank then we bought some cardinal tetras and flame tetras Sunday . The plants were added three weeks ago
    I am guessing the new fish are the culprit. 1-2 weeks falls well within the range to infect your other tanks. Cross contamination is easy enough by a few drops water in the air,a net, your arms. Your new fish may not even show symptoms. Definetly stop with the chlor T...its probably not going to help...may make it worse.

I would use the salt as I suggested and use furan2 for 10 days. Very large water changes 80-90%daily followed by replacing the salt and dosing with furan 2. Best guess is this bacterial but it could be viral and what you see is secondary bacterial infection.

Hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thought I'd just update everyone on my discus they are well on their way to recovery 85% now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12