AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corydoras catfish Ancistrus Bristlenose advice?

Default Corydoras catfish Ancistrus Bristlenose advice?

When I get my planted discus tank set up, I am wondering if I should buy these fish for maintenance purposes?

i will have an overflow and sump with a 75 gallon deep blue rimless tank. Suggestions on where to buy them? Preferably a place that sells discus too. I know Rockymountain discus use to sell them together..
    Be kind.

Default Re: Corydoras catfish Ancistrus Bristlenose advice?

Quote Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
    When I get my planted discus tank set up, I am wondering if I should buy these fish for maintenance purposes?

i will have an overflow and sump with a 75 gallon deep blue rimless tank. Suggestions on where to buy them? Preferably a place that sells discus too. I know Rockymountain discus use to sell them together..
    I really love my corys but have tried plecos a couple times and just ended up removing them due to the mess. Especially in a planted tank it's hard to get to all the mess from these poop machines.

If you are looking for something for algae otos are a great option. When my tank was planted I had several of them and they are constantly at work nibbling algae

There is a member here that sells sterbai corys but can't remember who it is
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

If you are looking for corys try PJ (I think he is about 3 hrs from you, shipping should be ok) goes under Houdini on aquabid, he breeds several strains, has some nice BNs also. As Ryan stated, otos are great in planted tanks (a must QT, they are mostly imported), also buy double of what you might need with otos (not all will make it).
    As to maintenance, this is not really a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I really love my corys but have tried plecos a couple times and just ended up removing them due to the mess. Especially in a planted tank it's hard to get to all the mess from these poop machines.

If you are looking for something for algae otos are a great option. When my tank was planted I had several of them and they are constantly at work nibbling algae

So you say Cories do not make as much mess as plecos?
    Be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidzil View Post
    If you are looking for corys try PJ (I think he is about 3 hrs from you, shipping should be ok) goes under Houdini on aquabid, he breeds several strains, has some nice BNs also. As Ryan stated, otos are great in planted tanks (a must QT, they are mostly imported), also buy double of what you might need with otos (not all will make it).
    As to maintenance, this is not really a replacement.
    What is your experience with these fish?
    Be kind.

So you say Cories do not make as much mess as plecos?
    Absolutely.

When choosing your corys keep in mind not all can handle discus temps. Sterbai and emeralds can, that I know for sure, but there are others just don't know all of them off hand

What is your experience with these fish?
    When I got my otos I think I and lost one of ten. From what I read there are some that will just die soon after you get them. The theory is stress from being wild caught I believe. I think by general rule if they make it a couple weeks they are fine. My personal experience is that I found with them to be very hardy. I had just the standard otos but I also had a couple of tiger otos as well. I think the tigers are much more rare. They are larger with really nice stripe pattern

Real Name
    Mervin

Sterbai corys like mentioned above do well in a warm discus tank.I had them with my discus for a long time.Most corys don't do well in warmer water.Google them first so you don't buy corys that are cooler water species.I've also had great success with the bristlenose pleco with discus,altho they never stop pooping,it's continuous.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Check out Brian from Discus n More he is a sponsor here and often carries discus tank mates as well as discus. I have purchased different fish from him, cardinals, corries etc. I have emerald corries and panda corries from him that have dine great and make a nice addition, as for what they do to help the tank and how much poop they produce, I don't really know. I keep up on my water changes and don't really have them for workers more for just other cool fish to watch in the tank and to observe.

I have some plecco's as well. John from freshwater tropicals always has an array of pleccos on his list. He sells discus too and can easily tell you what will work and what will not. I always keep a bristlenose or two in the tank. Again almost out of habbit and to have another species not for what it will do. I will say the poop theory is real and they do seem so make a mess of their caves. I dump them once a week and have thought about rehoming them but can't seem to bring myself to do it. It's kinda they are mine and I will deal with them until they die mentality.

Where did you buy your algae oto?
    Be kind.

I found Sterba's Cory Cat (Corydoras sterbai).

I am planning to buy 3 for my planted tank for my dicus...

Has anyone had success?
    Be kind.

I found Sterba's Cory Cat (Corydoras sterbai).

I am planning to buy 3 for my planted tank for my dicus...

Has anyone had success?
    I love sterbai. Corys are usually recommended to be in a group of 5 or 6 I do believe

Registered Member

You can get Otos from Rachel at http://msjinkzd.com/
    She also breeds BNs and Cory.
    Her Otos are not tank bred.
    You can check her out on youtube.

Real Name
    Mervin

I love sterbai. Corys are usually recommended to be in a group of 5 or 6 I do believe
    +1 They do much better in larger groups of one species.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...846&pcatid=846

Anyone ever buy Cories from this website?
    Be kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast