ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: PH drop

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

Default PH drop

Hello. I'm new to this group, only have posted once. I've just set up my quarantine and main aquarium and started the cycling process on both Sunday. I've been testing the water every other day and today and I'm confused with today's reading.

I know it's only been a few days, but could someone please help me understand.

My PH was about a 7.0/7.2 when I got started on Sunday and today the quarantine tank was at 7.4 and the main tank was at 6.0. Why such a difference?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: PH drop

Hi Mary Beth,
    The difference does sound strange. What else is in the tanks: plants, substrate, rocks, wood, fish? Have you added anything like conditioners or products to help the cycling? Just looking for possibilities.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

what is the gh/kh if ur tank? ive heard of ph drops during cycling but cant remember the exact reason, think it has something to do with the process using up the kh in the tank (but i could be wrong). if u do a search for this on the forum u should find other threads discussing it

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

found a good thread about it, DJW explains it in his response post here;

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...rop+cycling+kh

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mary Beth

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Mary Beth,
    The difference does sound strange. What else is in the tanks: plants, substrate, rocks, wood, fish? Have you added anything like conditioners or products to help the cycling? Just looking for possibilities.
    It's about a 2/3. I have PH neutral rocks, Congo wood and a few plants. Bare bottom, no fish yet. I've added micro-lobe and water conditioner for chlorine, etc.