ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from the sunny phillipines..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Hello from the sunny phillipines..

love the tank! i just picked up a new light which i really like, but the dimness of ur tank makes me want to change my lighting again lol, love how peaceful
    it looks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I agree completely. In that type of natural scape the lighting really completes the look and feel of it. I have a simple layout with a bright variety of domestics and use Current Satellite Plus Pro which at least has options for spectrum and dimming but with a set up like yours you nailed it. Regular light would kill the effect you have achieved here. Now aren't you glad you appeased us and gave us a pic?
    Yes I am glad... but the problem is that usually photos never look as good as the real thing with aquariums but maybe I got lucky with these...

The other thing worth a mention about the lighting is that you have to direct the lights in at about 45 degrees towards the back ...straight down will be awful with light glare on the glass ......and space them out so you have dark areas between the spots and dark areas at each end ..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    That is a stunning tank. Great placement of the driftwood, and the lighting is just perfect. I have to make sure my discus don't see this picture or they may revolt and demand better looking accommodations!

If your discus are showing any stress, it may be from the current, it sounds like there is a lot of water movement. This can really benefit the tank as a whole, but discus aren't really fans of high flow.
    I did experiment quite a bit trying to find that sweet spot where the fish aren't being buffeted by current but it still moves debris but not the sand ....obviously the sand does still dune over time.

With a tank this size there are lots of dead zones but I noticed the discus acctually like to work out on the spray bar occasionally ....as far as I can tell they are not stressed but I did notice that a couple have really coloured up and the other four are colouring down....plus the top discus seems to be marking out a territory around a dip in the sand next to a driftwood branch ...I thought these discus weren't totally grown out yet but now I'm thinking they might be starting to try and breed but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Musicman666; 05-14-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Registered Member

Ok ...quick update ...as per recommendation removed a ton of sand leaving just enough so that the bare bottom wasn't exposed ....did a partial water change before and after just in case of any toxins and the results are good ...even more space which is great and less sand to clean.....thanks guys.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

I love the look of this tank as well. All the raving seems to have been done already so I will +1 what all the others have already said! Super sweet set-up.!! I can't wait to see more and as they grow!

Any plans to add anything else or are you stocked and set?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DatDiscusDude

Also - What is that foamy looking filter floss thing on the left? My only critique would be to try and hide that, it comes off as an eye sore and hurts the true natural beauty of the tank! Again just a suggestion if possible

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    I love the look of this tank as well. All the raving seems to have been done already so I will +1 what all the others have already said! Super sweet set-up.!! I can't wait to see more and as they grow!

Any plans to add anything else or are you stocked and set?
    Thanks!.....Well I think I'm good for now....possibly a couple more discus in the blue but not the same blue diamond and I wouldn't mind getting the rummynose swarm a little larger but other than that I think it's stocked ok... I don't want to over do the future maximum bio load and I think I'm under it right now which is a good place to be.

Ps ..I think the altums are not true altums but Peruvian pseudo altums ...I was suprised at the time how inexpensive they were but in hindsight I think it's a blessing in disguise as those real altums would be huge ...
    Last edited by Musicman666; 05-15-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Also - What is that foamy looking filter floss thing on the left? My only critique would be to try and hide that, it comes off as an eye sore and hurts the true natural beauty of the tank! Again just a suggestion if possible
    Yeah I wondered who might point to the elephant in the room...it's only really that noticeable because the white floss is visible ...I plan to put the floss well back in with another modification...I also want to paint all the hardware Matt black elsewhere so nothing stands out at all... In the case of that home made clarifier ....which is basically a cut plastic bottle on the end of a powerjet with filter wool in it ...I found it does such a great job of keeping the water crystal clear that I'm hard pressed not to keep it there permanently even though it's a visual intrusion..it's also a breeze to just whip it out and give it a rinse which I do daily and the amount of black gunk is totally worth it. I used to floss my canister intakes but with it being such a deep tank it was a real struggle to keep them clean. I would definitely consider a commercial low profile device that just sat in the corner and did the same job..just need some time to research it.
    Last edited by Musicman666; 05-15-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12